Chit Chat

Hey New Yorkers....

2»

Re: Hey New Yorkers....

• Oh, also Tipsy Parson in Chelsea is really great. 
    Love this place :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• sarahufl said:
    If the weather is nice, hit up The Boat Basin. It is nothing fancy, but it is a lovely place to sit on a nice summer day.
    Yes!!! I pass this place when I run uptown, and it is really lovely. I don't think I've been, but I want to go this summer. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• P.S. We live in Central/ Southern MA and my plan is to drive to the New Haven, CT subway on a Friday night after work and have us take the train to GC then the hotel is only 5 min walk. The parking and train tickets (non peak) will be about $80. You guys think that's better/ easier than driving to the hotel, right? Parking at the hotel would be $200 and often I will pay more for convenience but in this case I feel like navigating our way in the city would be a pain in the butt...

• jenna8984 said:

P.S. We live in Central/ Southern MA and my plan is to drive to the New Haven, CT subway on a Friday night after work and have us take the train to GC then the hotel is only 5 min walk. The parking and train tickets (non peak) will be about $80. You guys think that's better/ easier than driving to the hotel, right? Parking at the hotel would be $200 and often I will pay more for convenience but in this case I feel like navigating our way in the city would be a pain in the butt...

I don't mind driving in the city but I would always prefer to take the train.  This sounds like a good plan, especially if you won't need the car while you're here.

When my mom travels to see me from Boston, she takes the Bolt Bus.  It's like $10.  Maybe you could look into that and save even more money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• jenna8984 said:

P.S. We live in Central/ Southern MA and my plan is to drive to the New Haven, CT subway on a Friday night after work and have us take the train to GC then the hotel is only 5 min walk. The parking and train tickets (non peak) will be about $80. You guys think that's better/ easier than driving to the hotel, right? Parking at the hotel would be $200 and often I will pay more for convenience but in this case I feel like navigating our way in the city would be a pain in the butt...

I don't mind driving in the city but I would always prefer to take the train.  This sounds like a good plan, especially if you won't need the car while you're here.

When my mom travels to see me from Boston, she takes the Bolt Bus.  It's like $10.  Maybe you could look into that and save even more money.
    Oh man, I just looked on their website and she must do random Tuesdays or something because the times I needed costed more than the train. And we'd have to drive an hour north in the wrong direction first to hit Boston. Good idea though if I lived closer to Boston!

• I think taking the train in from CT is a good plan. 
  • Definitely train it. I don't mind driving in the city when I have to, but for tourist purposes you only need the subway and your feet. Maybe a cab back to the hotel late at night when you don't feel like waiting 20 minutes for a train. I am a public transportation evangelist though, so if you have any concerns or questions about getting around, just ask! I will happily geek out to your benefit. :)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • daria24 said:
    If you want a classic NY steak house, go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Depending on how far out you are from your trip, you might not be able to get a dinner reservation. But lunch doesn't require reservations, and they have a killer burger only at lunch time. 

Every time I've had italian food in Little Italy I've been disappointed. I thought La Mela was actually gross. 

If you go to the Highline-get an ice cream sandwich from Melt. They also have a little storefront on the LES. I also love People's Pops, they made fresh fruit popsicles and hand shaved ice. 
    If you go to Peter Luger's be prepared for stand-off service at best. Rude waiters is part of the schtick. Personally, I don't mind it, but if you aren't expecting it, it can be jarring, especially when you are dropping major cash. And I mean cash. They don't take credit cards.
  • I take the train from CT to NYC every day for work! It's very easy, and not too expensive for a weekend trip (you're avoiding tolls too, in addition to those insane NYC parking costs). I think it is definitely a great decision. 
  • @sarahufl @pinkcow13 @jcbride2015 @katieinbkln Sorry to be a giant pain the ass, I don't know anyone in NY that I can ask....

Should I buy the Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island tickets now or on the day of? I'm torn because if I buy them now online, the date and time cannot be changed or refunded. So I risk buying them for Saturday and then Saturday rains but Sunday turns out beautiful. I'd then have to throw away $50 to buy new ones on Sunday.

But the website is already showing Saturday tickets sold out from 9am- noon. And sunday tickets sold out 9am- 11am. So I'm worried if I wait to see what the weather is like and buy then that day, the rest will be sold out as well.

This is the website I'm looking on http://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/

I'm wondering if there are different companies who do these ferry tours? Like are there 5 other ferries sitting there waiting with tours that I can chose from, or is this the one and when it's sold out it's sold out? Thanks so much!!

• jenna8984 said:

I always do the same thing when I go to NYC. I usually just do day trips and take the last train home.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• jenna8984 said:

@sarahufl @pinkcow13 @jcbride2015 @katieinbkln Sorry to be a giant pain the ass, I don't know anyone in NY that I can ask....

Should I buy the Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island tickets now or on the day of? I'm torn because if I buy them now online, the date and time cannot be changed or refunded. So I risk buying them for Saturday and then Saturday rains but Sunday turns out beautiful. I'd then have to throw away $50 to buy new ones on Sunday.

But the website is already showing Saturday tickets sold out from 9am- noon. And sunday tickets sold out 9am- 11am. So I'm worried if I wait to see what the weather is like and buy then that day, the rest will be sold out as well.

This is the website I'm looking on http://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/

I'm wondering if there are different companies who do these ferry tours? Like are there 5 other ferries sitting there waiting with tours that I can chose from, or is this the one and when it's sold out it's sold out? Thanks so much!!

Embarrassingly, I have never gone to the Statue of Liberty. But logistically, I wonder if you can wait till a day or two before your trip, check the forecast and make the call then? Would you be able to get up at 8 a.m. on the day you wanted to go and order the tickets online, or would you have to be physically present to purchase the ticket between 9-11?
  • I have lived in NY my entire life and have never been to the Statue of Liberty. I've sailed past it. But that's it. 
  • Embarrassingly, I have never gone to the Statue of Liberty. But logistically, I wonder if you can wait till a day or two before your trip, check the forecast and make the call then? Would you be able to get up at 8 a.m. on the day you wanted to go and order the tickets online, or would you have to be physically present to purchase the ticket between 9-11?
    I would not have to go there, I could get them online that morning. However it's a month away and already showing 9-noon unavailable/ sold out. So I would risk waking up that day or day before and saying "oh look the weather is great" then go to purchase online and the entire day is sold out.

• I have never been to the Statue of Liberty as an adult, even though I look at her every day across the water.  We have taken the ferry over to the island and just walked around, without going in the pedestal.  I don't think the plain ferry tickets ever sell out.

But I just did some googling and the official website for the Statue (National Park Service) links to http://www.statuecruises.com, not statueoflibertytickets.com.  I know "Statue Cruises" is legit because they are the ones who actually operate the ferry.  Those prices are slightly lower than the website you were looking at.  I think that first website probably buys tickets and resells them at a profit.

I would recommend getting your tickets ahead of time if they are selling out this fast.  What dates are you going-- can you get any sense of the weather yet?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Honestly, FWIW- skip the statue. It isn't that great and it is boiling hot in the summer. Ellis Island is awesome, though. Is everything re-opened since Sandy? I know they both got hit hard.

The Staten Island Ferry is always free and runs every half hour (I think) and can be a fun way to see the sites.
  • jenna8984 said:

FI & I are going to NYC in a few weeks for his birthday weekend.....

1. I'm a total dumbass and didn't realize Lady Liberty crown access tickets would be sold out for the entire summer. Are there any like underground, black market tickets?? lol

2. What is your number one favorite restaurant that is mid budget- under $100 for 2

3. What is your number one favorite restaurant that is high budget- $100-200 plus tip (we're staying in midtown but it can be anywhere)

Not a New Yorker, but I spent a week there bumming around and talking to people and I hope to move there one day. I also had a dream last night about DH and I taking a trip to NYC. He would hate it.

I also didn't think the crown was super great. It's a billion stairs, and it's hot, and so much smaller than you would think. 

If you get a chance, hit up the Met. It's beautiful and well worth the multiple hours you're there. 

If you're eating from a food cart, make sure you eat the lamb/chicken and rice from the guy on 53rd and 6th. He makes the best version of it.

I didn't think the Empire State Building or Liberty/Ellis Island were super impressive. I really enjoy history, so I thought I would like the latter two, but it just was a huge letdown for me. My favorite thing I did while I was there was hitting up Obscura or just riding the subway around.

I really enjoyed Roxy's for a cheap meal while I was there. It's touristy, but I quite liked it. I heard that it's closed now? But I don't know how valid that is.

I didn't eat anywhere expensive. So I can't help you there. But I would like to eat at that Ninja Restaurant I keep seeing on the Travel Channel.
    Roxy Deli in Times Square? We met up with family from Jersey a couple years ago and had lunch there and it was outrageously expensive and not very good. $30 for a roast beef sandwich that was primarily lettuce. Booooo!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I can't remember if I suggested this already.....but if I did, it is worth repeating!

GO TO THE LOWER EAST SIDE TENEMENT MUSEUM. It is a must-see (so much that, yes, the all caps were necessary). It requires reservations, so buy the tickets in advance. It is one of my favorite museums in a city that is very, very full of museums.
  • I have never been to the Statue of Liberty as an adult, even though I look at her every day across the water.  We have taken the ferry over to the island and just walked around, without going in the pedestal.  I don't think the plain ferry tickets ever sell out.

But I just did some googling and the official website for the Statue (National Park Service) links to http://www.statuecruises.com, not statueoflibertytickets.com.  I know "Statue Cruises" is legit because they are the ones who actually operate the ferry.  Those prices are slightly lower than the website you were looking at.  I think that first website probably buys tickets and resells them at a profit.

I would recommend getting your tickets ahead of time if they are selling out this fast.  What dates are you going-- can you get any sense of the weather yet?

Thank you! That website is also showing 9am-noon as being sold out so I feel like I should just go ahead and book it now for 1pm. This website you sent does allow cancellations so that's probably my best bet. If it rains and we try to reschedule for the next day but it's sold out, at least we will get our money back to do something else.

FI and I are not people who like to wing it and take chances, we like to know that we have a ticket at a certain time lol. I know it might be hot and crowded in August but we like to sightsee, he's always saying he wants to go see all the typical tourist things.

@sarahufl Will definitely try to get to Tenement Museum!

• @jcbride2015 Actually since that website you gave me accepts cancellations/ refunds I'm just going to book for Saturday and Sunday and get my money back for the one we don't use. I called the number and the woman said that was a good idea because if I wait she said they sell out about a week in advance. That helped me so much- thank you!!

• sarahufl had a great suggestion, I went to the Tenement museum as a teenager and it was great. The neighborhood where it is located is pretty cool, too.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• jenna8984 said:

1. I'm a total dumbass and didn't realize Lady Liberty crown access tickets would be sold out for the entire summer. Are there any like underground, black market tickets?? lol

2. What is your number one favorite restaurant that is mid budget- under $100 for 2

3. What is your number one favorite restaurant that is high budget- $100-200 plus tip (we're staying in midtown but it can be anywhere)

Not a New Yorker, but I spent a week there bumming around and talking to people and I hope to move there one day. I also had a dream last night about DH and I taking a trip to NYC. He would hate it.

I also didn't think the crown was super great. It's a billion stairs, and it's hot, and so much smaller than you would think. 

If you get a chance, hit up the Met. It's beautiful and well worth the multiple hours you're there. 

If you're eating from a food cart, make sure you eat the lamb/chicken and rice from the guy on 53rd and 6th. He makes the best version of it.

I didn't think the Empire State Building or Liberty/Ellis Island were super impressive. I really enjoy history, so I thought I would like the latter two, but it just was a huge letdown for me. My favorite thing I did while I was there was hitting up Obscura or just riding the subway around.

I really enjoyed Roxy's for a cheap meal while I was there. It's touristy, but I quite liked it. I heard that it's closed now? But I don't know how valid that is.

I didn't eat anywhere expensive. So I can't help you there. But I would like to eat at that Ninja Restaurant I keep seeing on the Travel Channel.
    I don't know, girl--my guy at 40th and 8th is pretty damn good... ;)

But yes. YES TO STREET MEAT!
  • jenna8984 said:

We all have our favorites.  There is a cart on either side of Amsterdam Ave at 116th St-- I would always cross the street to go to the guy on the west side.

But yes, street meat is great.  Only the Halal guys, never the dirty water dogs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenna8984 said:

We all have our favorites.  There is a cart on either side of Amsterdam Ave at 116th St-- I would always cross the street to go to the guy on the west side.

But yes, street meat is great.  Only the Halal guys, never the dirty water dogs.
    JCbride2015- Girl, you are so right! The dude on the east side is not even remotely close to being as tasty as the dude on the west side.
  • Yes, you should buy your tickets in advance. They do sell out every day in the summer. There is only one company that cruises to Ellis Island/Liberty Island, though they leave out of NJ and lower Manhattan. NJ is always easier to get tickets for, and it's more pleasant in general. 

The Tenement Museum is great, you do need to book your tickets the day before, at least. The morning of they usually have a couple tours available, but not the most popular ones. 

The Roxy? Seriously? Just say no. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards