Massachusetts-Boston

Is there a Catholic Priest that will marry a couple outside of the church?

My Fiancé and I are getting married next year, at an outdoor venue. We are very outdoorsy , athletic people; but also want to have our religions recognized at our ceremony. I know the belief of the church is that the sacrament of marriage can only be performed in a church, but I believe that God is everywhere. Are there any Massachusetts Catholic Churches that are open to discussing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Is there a Catholic Priest that will marry a couple outside of the church?

• You would need to speak to your local bishop...we went through this when we were trying to plan our ceremony but it was further complicated by the fact my now husband isn't christian so we didn't pursue it very far.  Good luck & let us know what you find!
  • Did you get this sorted out? There are some priests that will do this - to a degree. We were going to get married ahead of time in the church and then have our priest perform the ceremony outdoors - no one has to know that you are already married. Otherwise, yes, priests have to marry you in a house of God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards