Honeymoon Discussions

Anyone Been to Portugal

I just want to know if anyone has been to Portugal, specifically Lisbon. If so, what fun things did you do there? I wanted like an adventure honeymoon with lots of hiking and exploring ruins, tons of history. We couldn't afford the more obvious choices so we decided Portugal was a good bet. Any ideas. 

Re: Anyone Been to Portugal

• I just want to know if anyone has been to Portugal, specifically Lisbon. If so, what fun things did you do there? I wanted like an adventure honeymoon with lots of hiking and exploring ruins, tons of history. We couldn't afford the more obvious choices so we decided Portugal was a good bet. Any ideas. 

Did you already book Portugal?  If not, I'd recommend Southern Spain.  One of my favorite vacations.  We stayed right across from the (beautiful) beaches and took day trips to the Alhambra, Seville, Gibraltar and Morocco.  It was pretty reasonable when we went a couple years ago.

If you already booked Portugal, check out TripAdvisor.  The forums there and the ratings for attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc are a really good guide!

• I have been to Lisbon! It's so beautiful! It's a wonderful place for wandering the streets (lots of beautiful winding alleys, etc.). There's a huge old castle on the hill in the center of town (Something Jao? I don't know you won't be able to miss it). 

I also highly recommend a day trip to Sintra, where there are a good 3 or 4 old castles, one of which looks like it came off of a Candyland box (evidently there was an architectural period that specialized briefly in candy-colored, romantical Disney palaces). 

You can also spend a day/half day in Belem (basically a suburb) which is out where the river meets the ocean. There's a gorgeous old fort, and a really beautiful monastery nearby that is fun to see.

The food is incredible in Lisbon. Lots of seafood, similar to Spanish but definitely distinct. There's plenty of nightlife, and I would absolutely recommend seeing a Fado show--it's a traditional style of Portuguese music sung with a mandolin (or mandolin-like guitar thingy, anyway). It sounds a bit like Flamenco, but there is no dancing. When I went my friends and I were ushered into a club by the owner (?) who promised us a great show with a 2-drink minimum. We were skeptical, but it ended up being great! The singers were wonderful, and despite being in a touristy section of town, there was a wonderful local vibe--they even convinced one or two of the local guys sitting in the audience to step up and sing a song or two. Between that and the very first caipirinhas I'd ever had, it was a wonderful experience.

Southern Spain is also lovely and I can't recommend it enough either (I lived in Spain for a year in college, so I could go on AND ON, but I won't). However, if you are interested in Lisbon, I am very happy to give it my thumbs up! 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Warning!  Lisbon is one of the highest pickpocket crime cities in the world.  Be very careful with your valuables while on the street.
    Good news is that it is a fun city with lots to do.  Go buy the Rick Steves guide to Portugal!
    http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Portugal/dp/1612385443/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405554627&sr=1-1&keywords=Rick+Steves+Portugal
    My DH loved the maritime museum.  Best in the world!  Be sure and try ginja (sour cherry liquor) usually drunk in chocolate mini-cups.  Lots of night life and local culture.  We took a side trip to Obidos, a walled medieval city, somewhat touristy, but worth it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Warning!  Lisbon is one of the highest pickpocket crime cities in the world.  Be very careful with your valuables while on the street.
    Good news is that it is a fun city with lots to do.  Go buy the Rick Steves guide to Portugal!
    http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Portugal/dp/1612385443/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405554627&sr=1-1&keywords=Rick+Steves+Portugal
    My DH loved the maritime museum.  Best in the world!  Be sure and try ginja (sour cherry liquor) usually drunk in chocolate mini-cups.  Lots of night life and local culture.  We took a side trip to Obidos, a walled medieval city, somewhat touristy, but worth it.
    This! I got pickpocketed there a few years back.... and it wasn't even the busy time. The theif took a whole ten quid out of my wallet. Muahaha.

I enjoyed Lisbon. It was a beautiful city with a nice atmosphere but like PPs suggested, I would pick Southern Spain for a honeymoon destination over Portugal.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm sure the economic hard times is the reason it's so cheap there right now. We really liked Spain too, and originally wanted Italy, but it was too expensive for us. Mostly just the airfare. Portugal is the cheapest airfare we could find (we live in Michigan). Our honeymoon budget is pretty small and we wanted to experience another country. Is there any way to guard against pickpockets, tips and tricks? We also live in rural America so pickpocket is right up there with zombie apocalypse on things to worry about. 
  • I'm sure the economic hard times is the reason it's so cheap there right now. We really liked Spain too, and originally wanted Italy, but it was too expensive for us. Mostly just the airfare. Portugal is the cheapest airfare we could find (we live in Michigan). Our honeymoon budget is pretty small and we wanted to experience another country. Is there any way to guard against pickpockets, tips and tricks? We also live in rural America so pickpocket is right up there with zombie apocalypse on things to worry about. 

Don't carry anything on you. They were really bad in Beijing, even the locals had their backpacks strapped to the front of themselves with their arms over it. Every time we left the hotel we brought nothing, no passports, no fancy camera, no purse, we put a little money in our shoes.

But it was not really enjoyable and I wouldn't suggest having to go to those measures on your honeymoon. If you really can't afford other parts of southern Europe but you want a city feel (instead of beach) what about London, Dublin, Montreal?

• OP - What is your budget, for how long and what time of year?  I just put in Detroit to Lisbon in Expedia for the 2nd week of September and came up with air/hotel averaging 1500-2000 per person.  I put in the same search to Malaga, Spain and the hotel we stayed at (great location, nice hotel!) is $1654 per person.  Other hotels are in the same range of Portugal.  I really think the locations are comparable in price.  Just a thought.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Advice on avoiding pickpockets:

Don't take anything valuable.  No jewelry or designer sunglasses.  Leave your passport at your hotel.  Do not put anything in pants pockets.  Do not wear a fanny pack.  Do not take an expensive camera.  Keep your cash in a moneybelt, worn underneath your clothes.  Keep a small amount of cash in a shirt pocket or wristlet.  If it is stolen, no big loss.  If you really want to be mean, put some wadded tissue and used chewing gum in your pants pocket.  Many pickpockets are children, working in gangs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks for the tips. My fiance said something about keeping your money in your shoes but how would you pay for things then? The moneybelt idea is a good one and luckily I never wear jewelry. Maybe we will just keep our rings at home so that we don't have to worry about anyone stealing them. 

Our wedding is May 2nd and we probably would be leaving the following Tuesday or Wednesday (I heard those are the cheapest times to fly.), Which is the 5th and 6th.

We don't exactly know what budget we want right now but I wouldn't want to spend more then 3000 to get over there (for both of us) If there are hotel/air combos for under that then that's really good. I've been doing everything separately. 
  • Money belts are wise. I'm also a fan of small clutch bags that I physically hold closed in my hand. A purse that closes properly is an absolute MUST. In Madrid people told stories of pickpockets cutting open the bottom of flimsy bags (made of fabric) and just yanking wallets that way, so a sturdy leather bag is also a good option.

The main thing is to know how pickpockets work--like magicians, they depend on misdirection. Get in the habit of clamping your arm down on your bag (or putting your hand in your pocket, for men who carry things there, although I'd recommend front pocket for obvious reasons) the second anything "weird" happens. Any commotion? Bag. Looking up at a skyline/castle/nature? Bag. Someone bumped into you? Bag, bag, bag. Death grip that shit, and if you catch anyone in the act, LOUDLY call them out as a thief. Sometimes they will act like you have assaulted them, but that's a last-ditch effort of a desperate thief. Just keep saying it, and tell them to get away from you. Any language will do.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Portuguese for "thief" is "ladrao".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards