Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Southern tea party food options?

I am having a Kentucky Derby tea party for my wedding and while I'm going with a vintage theme with my food I'd like to incorporate some southern recipes or flavors into some of the options. I just moved to KY so southern food is a bit new to me but I want to embrace it for my wedding. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Southern tea party food options?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Not sure how "Kentucky" any of this is, but I'd consider pecans, peaches, mint juleps, bananas and blueberries, and peanuts as long as no one at your wedding has an allergy or intolerance, with iced tea.
  • It sounds like your wedding is at meal time, so the tea party aspect might be a bit limited since a tea party is really just snacks and tea. For that reason, I'd do a really great cocktail hour with passed tea party-ish apps:

- a few different types of tea sandwiches
    - lemon bars 
    - tea cakes/cookies 
    - shortcake
    - crackers and herbed cheese spread
    - veggie tray and fruit tray
    - lemonade, iced sweet tea and possibly a sweet punch
    - hot tea and coffee

Then for your dinner I think something "southern homestyle" would be really good. Steak and chicken with homestyle sides like green beans and mashed potatoes are fall back choices. Those are dishes that can be dressed up and down depending on your formality and budget.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards