Outdoor Weddings

Amusement Park Wedding?

Hello folks!

So I posted this question on a different discussion board, but I am hoping that I might get some more help on this one.  My boyfriend of 3 years and I have been talking marriage for the last year or 2 and we love the idea of having an amusement park wedding.  He has been hinting at an engagement for the last month and has even written down dates within the next 2 summers that he think would be good for a wedding.

Anyways, we would love to have the wedding at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.  However, I don't want to get married super early in the morning, and I would still like to have a reception as well as a few hours in the amusement park.  We were talking about maybe getting the VIP tour for ourselves and our small wedding party.  Still lots of talk.  Also, we live in Nebraska, the majority of my family lives in Illinois, and his live in Nebraska, so this would technically be a destination wedding.

Has anyone been to an amusement park wedding, or have any ideas of how we can make this work with everything we want?

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Amusement Park Wedding?

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    First of all, before you charge ahead, I'd call the events manager (or whoever) at the amusement park and see if they'll allow you to host a wedding, and if so, what sort of conditions they set on them, event spaces that they have available, and what something like that costs. You'll want a back up site in case of inclement weather. They'll know their individual park and rules best. 

Not exactly the same, but our reception was in a children's museum. Wouldn't have changed it for the world, but there were a lot of rules we had to work around. It was also very expensive for us to shut down the entire museum, so we only had about half of it. That portion was open to all guests though, who milled about during the reception. 

Keep in mind for you, I'd imagine you'd have to pay for every guests park admission fee. That could be a huge cost. 

Edited: forgot a word.
  • Yes, I have started talking with a representative for the park.  To have a beach ceremony for 2 hours we are looking at $1500.  They would supply the decorations and seating as well as 12 tickets to the park.  The wedding would be small, but we could get additional tickets to the park for $37 each.  Since the beach is part of the park, each guest would need a ticket.  Other than that, the park doesn't have any other rules, we wouldn't be shutting down a section of the park.
  • Do keep in mind that there are some people who DETEST amusement parks.  I am one of them.  I cannot handle the noise, the rides, the dirt.  I would never attend a wedding at an amusement park.  Older relatives may be especially put off by this idea.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sounds like fun for a small wedding. Weather would be my concern. Make sure the venue has a covered pavilion.
  • I LOVE Cedar Point, but PPs bring up some good logistical issues, and I think @CMGragain has a very good point that I didn't even think about.  Lots of people don't enjoy amusement parks, and many may have some sort of physical issue you're not even aware of (bad back, pregnant, etc).  Plus, one of the best parts of a wedding is having your loved ones all together--any time I've one to an amusement park with more than 6 people, it was inevitable that we would split up and go our own ways.

I can't remember who, but someone on the boards (gaaah can someone refresh my terrible memory?) is going to CP for her honeymoon, which sounds AWESOME to me.  Maybe another possibility to consider?
    Anniversary

• I like amusement parks but I wouldn't want to spend the day at one in a dress, heels, and make up. And I absolutely would not attend a wedding wearing what I normally wear to an amusement park.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for all the responses!
    CMGragain said:
    Do keep in mind that there are some people who DETEST amusement parks.  I am one of them.  I cannot handle the noise, the rides, the dirt.  I would never attend a wedding at an amusement park.  Older relatives may be especially put off by this idea.
    Luckily my entire family, including my only living grandparent, loves roller coasters and amusement parks, as do all of our close friends.  Greg's family has never been to anything bigger than the fair but they love seeing everything and his siblings are excited about the thought of being able to go to a big amusement park.  Neither one of us have many older relatives that are still alive.

As far as weather goes, we have talked about getting a tent just in case, but I wouldn't mind getting married in the rain. 

slothiegal - The thought was to have the wedding, go into the park for a few hrs for fun with the bridal party and pictures (guests can then go into the park until cocktail hour/reception) have the reception, and then afterwards maybe go into the park for a bit.  We definitely want this as the wedding, as we make a trip to CP just about every other year and want our honeymoon to be different, we are saving for a honeymoon in Europe.

mysticl - I am not expecting any guest to get really dressed up for my wedding, I found a lightweight dress that I am in love with for under $300 that I can wear on the rides and I will be wearing flats.  This has always been my dream wedding and I have a guy who thinks it would be a blast!

• I think you need to host the reception immediately after the ceremony. And then after that people can visit the park. There should never be a gap between the 2.
  • cathyjo7 said:
    Thank you for all the responses!
    CMGragain said:
    Do keep in mind that there are some people who DETEST amusement parks.  I am one of them.  I cannot handle the noise, the rides, the dirt.  I would never attend a wedding at an amusement park.  Older relatives may be especially put off by this idea.
    Luckily my entire family, including my only living grandparent, loves roller coasters and amusement parks, as do all of our close friends.  Greg's family has never been to anything bigger than the fair but they love seeing everything and his siblings are excited about the thought of being able to go to a big amusement park.  Neither one of us have many older relatives that are still alive.

As far as weather goes, we have talked about getting a tent just in case, but I wouldn't mind getting married in the rain. 

slothiegal - The thought was to have the wedding, go into the park for a few hrs for fun with the bridal party and pictures (guests can then go into the park until cocktail hour/reception) have the reception, and then afterwards maybe go into the park for a bit.  We definitely want this as the wedding, as we make a trip to CP just about every other year and want our honeymoon to be different, we are saving for a honeymoon in Europe.

mysticl - I am not expecting any guest to get really dressed up for my wedding, I found a lightweight dress that I am in love with for under $300 that I can wear on the rides and I will be wearing flats.  This has always been my dream wedding and I have a guy who thinks it would be a blast!

It's not about what you expect.  It's about how I was raised and quite simply you get dressed up for weddings.  My wedding gown was a full on ball gown that cost about $300.  It's not about the cost it's about the style.  I would not be comfortable going on rides in a dress and heels.  I typically wear shorts/jeans, t-shirts, and sport sandals/sneakers to an amusement park.  I would not wear those to a wedding.  

And your reception absolutely needs to be right after the wedding.  Even if everyone loves the park they may not want to be there all day.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And while you wouldn't mind getting married in the rain your guest may mind sitting in the rain while you get married. So if you want to stand in the rain go for it but at least make sure your guests are under cover. There is nothing like being wet and cold to put a huge damper on things and cause everyone to leave early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, I don't know why you say this would "technically" be a destination wedding. It is the exact definition of a destination wedding. You are picking a far away inconvenient location for everyone because you like it.
  • Have the wedding at the park.

Have your standard 1 hour cocktail hour while you take pictures.

Have your reception.

No one wants to go to a ceremony, then ride some rides, then attend a reception.   Too cut up and random.  

People do "dress" for weddings differently than amusement parks. Weddings to me is a dress of some sort and nice flats or heels.  DH in a button down with pants and nice shoes.  No way I would want to wear a dress at a park. I'm a short/sneakers kind of girl at parks.  DH would still wear a button down, but he would be in shorts and sneakers.   He is not wearing his good shoes to a park.

Nor do they want to be looking at their watches wanting to make sure they get back to reception.  Depending on where the venue is, where a certain ride is, add in lines, they might only get on one ride anyway. What a waste of time.   

Just follow traditional timelines.  Then when the reception is over the guest can change and hit up all the rides they want without having to worry about getting back or how they are dresses.   Think of it as the after-party.  Those who do not like parks or just plain want to do something else can.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am probably in the minority here but I would love to attend an amusement park wedding. I think it's a know-your-audience thing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Why not just have an amusement park day the day before the wedding with any of your guests/wedding party?  That way you and anyone else who enjoys amusement parks can have fun enjoy the park without worrying about attending a wedding in the middle of it.

• I appreciate all the comments!  I will, however, be having the wedding at the amusement park.  I like the suggestion of having an earlier ceremony, cocktail hour /picture time, and then a quick reception prior to going into the amusement park. 
  • cathyjo7 said:
    I appreciate all the comments!  I will, however, be having the wedding at the amusement park.  I like the suggestion of having an earlier ceremony, cocktail hour /picture time, and then a quick reception prior to going into the amusement park. 
    If you know your crowd and they love amusement parks, go for it.  Good for you taking PPs advice on the timeline: make sure you host a cocktail hour for guests, no more than an hour, while you and WP take photos.  Then after the reception, there will still be time in the day for anybody to ride the rides if they want to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I hate amusement parks. I don't like rides at all, and get motion sickness at the drop of the hat. If you were a close friend, I'd come for ceremony and leave promptly afterwards. I'd grab a cotton candy on the way out, but mostly be mall walking to the exit. If you were not a close friend, I wouldn't attend at all. Be confident your guests would be into this, or it could be a really lonely event. Alternative: if you love amusement parks, consider getting your engagement photos there. Even do carnival looking invitations, you could put a "big top" up at suitable outdoor venue. But just remember...the more carny you make it, the less you may like those wedding photos 10 years from now when you're in a different place. Wouldn't this be a lot cuter for pics? http://cdn.inspiredbride.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/katrina-and-jack-carnival-wedding.jpeg http://www.pennyswedding.com/wp-content/uploads/carnival-wedding-details1.jpg
  • What about park access during the day, late afternoon/early wedding on the beach & then your reception?
  • I have never been to a wedding in an amusement park but it sounds amazing. Especially if it's a vintage amusement park, that's gonna make GORGEOUS photographs and film. I wish you all the best.
  • I would do a ceremony in one of the many islands like Put In Bay in the lake.  Then instead of a brunch the day after you could enjoy the park all day. 

That way you can have the intimate feel of the wedding not crowded by park attendees but can enjoy the park one island jump away!
    August 9, 2015
  • I think the only problem that could arise is guest getting stuck in a long line or on a ride when your reception starts. Maybe encourage people not to go on the rides until after the reception/?I know if it was my first time at that park I would just want the wedding to be over with so I could enjoy the park. However like people said you know your guest better then everyone else does. If this is both of your dream wedding then go for it!! I think it is very unique. It would be one to remember that is for sure.
  • I was just at CP last weekend. It is a lot of fun, and a wedding there sounds like a cool idea. The lines will definitely throw a wrench in any kind of timeline if you wanted to do rides or anything during the day. I agree that I'd stick with a traditional timeline and allow time for rides before an evening ceremony or after a morning ceremony and reception. Remember that the tickets for each of your guests will be your responsibility, as well as properly hosting them including a ceremony and reception without a gap between. Could you host at the Breakers Hotel or Lighthouse Point? Neither would require park tickets for each of the guests and people could go in and out of the park as the wanted.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thank you for all your replies! We have been talking to Cedar Point and a few of the hotels in the area. If we get married on the beach (where I want to) they will include 12 tickets and extra tickets will be discounted to about $30. We think what we might do is have a late morning/early afternoon wedding on the beach, a quick cocktail hour/pictures and then a quick lunch and reception at the breakers. Afterwards we would have the entire evening to enjoy the amusement park.
  • cathyjo7 said:
    Thank you for all your replies! We have been talking to Cedar Point and a few of the hotels in the area. If we get married on the beach (where I want to) they will include 12 tickets and extra tickets will be discounted to about $30. We think what we might do is have a late morning/early afternoon wedding on the beach, a quick cocktail hour/pictures and then a quick lunch and reception at the breakers. Afterwards we would have the entire evening to enjoy the amusement park.
    I like that plan.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  •     Can I come? We are having our wedding at Disneyland and we are theme park junkies! We aren't having it actually at the park but in one of the hotels. The in-park ceremonies are too expensive. We will be hitting the parks after our lunch reception. 

We are only having 18 guests, though, and we are absolutely sure they all will enjoy it. 
  • That would be a blast!  Will you be wearing your dress in the park or changing?  I have always wanted to wear a wedding dress on a roller coaster!
  • That sounds awesome!!!  I looked into CP before starting to plan my wedding reception at a Toledo Mud Hens baseball game. 

I would maybe make sure to outline to the guests that are coming that there are different hotel options in/around the park depending on prices etc. Also check into the parking situation for guests not staying on property?

I think you have a good plan with the late morning/early afternoon ceremony with a lunch reception before heading into the park. Maybe you could all get a group picture near the park entrance/carousel/favorite ride? Not sure how many people you are planning on having. 

• Ideally the guest total would be around 70, it might even be less than that due to it not being in a church and therefore not being recognized by Greg's extended family (another fun situation we are dealing with).  I love your idea of taking a group photo near a ride or the entrance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards