Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it too early to go dress shopping?

I am not getting married until next August but my mom keeps asking if I want to go shopping for dresses. Well not so much shopping as we would have no intention to buy but more like trying them on to see what looks good and trying the different shapes and colors.  I am just afraid that I will find one that I really love and then end up buying one, one year before the wedding.  

Re: Is it too early to go dress shopping?

• Options
    I had my dress over a year before. I started early because I thought it would take me longer to find one. It's fine to go early if you want, but you don't have to, either. Just make sure you stop shopping once you do buy a dress, whenever that may be.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I would do a little more lurking in magazines, on forums, and at dresses online. That way when you go, you can have a few different styles in mind and then eliminate from there based on what you love and what looks the best. 

The dress shop I went to literally had thousands of dresses. There's no way I could have gone in without any idea what I wanted.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2014

I agree with PP, you can go if you want, but if you buy something, stick with it and stop looking. Or else you may have wasted quite a bit of money.

I went shopping twice. Once, around the time that I got egaged while I was visting my parents from out of town. I tried on a lot of different styles and figured out the silhouette I wanted. Though I found one I loved, I wasn't ready to put the money down. Glad I didn't. The next season's dresses came out and I went shopping again about 6 months later. I found my gown on the next trip.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I went dress shopping with my mom in October/Nov 2013 for my April 2015 wedding and found my gown, tried it on when I picked it up from the store in Dec '13, and again most recently around June '14. I've been into dress shops to look at BM dresses, mother of the bride dresses, shoes and so forth, but have never swayed to look at bridal gowns. It's up to you really when you want to look and buy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    mrsbanany said:
    I am not getting married until next August but my mom keeps asking if I want to go shopping for dresses. Well not so much shopping as we would have no intention to buy but more like trying them on to see what looks good and trying the different shapes and colors.  I am just afraid that I will find one that I really love and then end up buying one, one year before the wedding.  
    My daughter went on her first shopping trip with no intention to buy.  She bought. 

If that happens, it would not be a bad thing.  However, keep a few things in mind.  As PP's have suggested, you must be prepared to stop looking at other dresses.  You have to be prepared to put down a deposit, and pay for it in full when the dress arrives (some stores require this).  Check with the shop to see if they will store it for free.  (DD's dress arrived 9 months prior to the actual wedding.  The shop actually insisted they keep the dress in their controlled climate storage.)
  • Options
    I found a dress that I absolutely loved online. It was 15 months before my wedding and I had to go try it on. I had no intention of buying a dress that day. I bought my dress that day. It worked out perfectly fine for me, but remember that you will be getting bombarded with wedding advertisements and magazines with pictures of beautiful dresses so if you buy this early make sure you're positive it's the one or stop looking at dresses altogether.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have a dress for my wedding next August.  A year ahead is a perfect time to start shopping for dresses.  I only went to two stores before I found "the one".  The thing is, though, you have to stop looking at dresses once you buy one.
  • Options
    PPs have given sage advice. I have my dress from first time, not planning on buying. But, it's The Dress. I have looked and tried on more, but never swayed from my choice. I love it and can't wait to wear it. Now, if I can stop buying additional dresses for the various festivities, I'd be set!
    Happiness is an inside job
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards