Wedding Party
Options

Do I buy a special gift for future sister-in-law?!

Hey there! I would love to get some feedback on whether I should get my future sister-in-law, who is one  of my bridesmaids, a different gift than the ones I'm getting for my other bridesmaids? I plan on getting my matron of honor a nicer gift than the rest because of her duties, but I'm not sure if I should also do the same for my SIL since we will be family? Did anyone have a similar situation? What did you do? Thanks in advance for  your advice!

Re: Do I buy a special gift for future sister-in-law?!

• Options
    Hey there! I would love to get some feedback on whether I should get my future sister-in-law, who is one  of my bridesmaids, a different gift than the ones I'm getting for my other bridesmaids? I plan on getting my matron of honor a nicer gift than the rest because of her duties, but I'm not sure if I should also do the same for my SIL since we will be family? Did anyone have a similar situation? What did you do? Thanks in advance for  your advice!
    I would get everyone an individual gift. Just shop like you would for their birthdays or Christmas and spend around the same amount on each girl. 

I don't really know what you mean about MOH "duties" - there really is no such thing. I don't think it's right to tier people's gifts based on what they do for you. They're all special since they're in the wedding, so I'd give equally.

What you could do is write your FSIL a really nice card about joining families and how excited you are to be a part of her family and call her your SIL. Words tend to have a way that's more meaningful than a separate gift could ever be.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Agree with southernbelle--all my BMs are getting individual gifts that all come out to about the same amount of money spent.

What kind of "duties" does your MoH have?  Because all she's required to do is show up in the appropriate outfit the day of.  Do not get her something more extravagant--it will be awkward for your other BMs.

Again, southernbelle read my mind--along with my gifts for my BMs, I wrote each a card, thanking them for standing by my side, on the wedding day and throughout our years of friendship.  FSILs are our flower girls, so I also got them small (unique) gifts and wrote them notes, saying how excited I am to be their future big sister and thanking them for being a part of our special day.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I was originally planning to do the same amount for each person, but then starting doubting my decision based on an article or two I read. And by duties, I guess I just meant that my matron of honor took the lead on planning and executing my bachleorette party. However, I agree with both of your comments and will be going back to my original plan! Thanks so much! 
  • Options
    tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for your feedback. I was originally planning to do the same amount for each person, but then starting doubting my decision based on an article or two I read. And by duties, I guess I just meant that my matron of honor took the lead on planning and executing my bachleorette party. However, I agree with both of your comments and will be going back to my original plan! Thanks so much! 
    My MOH hosted my shower and bach party. I got gifts for all my girls in the same amount, but I bought my MOH a nice hostess gift for both the shower and bach party. So she ended up getting more than the other girls, but it didn't really look like it since I gave her the other gifts after the parties and not with the wedding day gifts for all the girls. 
  • Options
    Yes, I think if you want to also give her a nice hostess gift in private that is fine.  But it can make things super awkward to give out gifts to your bridal party and some gifts are clearly nicer than others. 
  • Options
    Oops I realized I didn't actually answer the question about FSIL, I think a nice note would be more appropriate than a nicer gift. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards