Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Dress Advice - Help!

My brother and his bride-to-be are planning a low key wedding in a meadow in August.  They are having BBQ and the guests can wear whatever they want- shorts and T-shirts if they wish!  Thinking I would be a guest, I bought a chiffon, geometric print, empire waist dress from Anthropologie.  It is blue, black and white, with flecks of yellow.  I was pumped!

So then...the bride asked me to be her matron of honor (and only bridesmaid)!  She said I could pick out my dress and she didn't care what I wore.  I send her a pic of the dress I already bought, she said "It's gorgeous!!"

Here is my issue...she is wearing a formal, champagne colored ball gown.

Our dress styles are not even close to being on the same planet.  She is not into fashion, and truly doesn't seem to care.  My mom, however, doesn't want the tiny wedding party to look at odds.  

What do you ladies think?

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Advice - Help!

• If you love the dress and the bride thinks it's gorgeous, wear the dress. Your mom is being silly. It's not her wedding.
  • My brother and his bride-to-be are planning a low key wedding in a meadow in August.  They are having BBQ and the guests can wear whatever they want- shorts and T-shirts if they wish!  Thinking I would be a guest, I bought a chiffon, geometric print, empire waist dress from Anthropologie.  It is blue, black and white, with flecks of yellow.  I was pumped!

So then...the bride asked me to be her matron of honor (and only bridesmaid)!  She said I could pick out my dress and she didn't care what I wore.  I send her a pic of the dress I already bought, she said "It's gorgeous!!"

Our dress styles are not even close to being on the same planet.  She is not into fashion, and truly doesn't seem to care.  My mom, however, doesn't want the tiny wedding party to look at odds.  

I think that if the bride is ok with the dress, then wear it.  You sound like you love this dress, so rock it at the wedding! 
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    My brother and his bride-to-be are planning a low key wedding in a meadow in August.  They are having BBQ and the guests can wear whatever they want- shorts and T-shirts if they wish!  Thinking I would be a guest, I bought a chiffon, geometric print, empire waist dress from Anthropologie.  It is blue, black and white, with flecks of yellow.  I was pumped!

If you and the bride are happy, then it doesn't matter if yo mama ain't happy. Oh, and, eta, the bride should stand out at her wedding. Sounds like you both will be dressed appropriately for your roles.
  • If the bride is happy and you're happy with it, wear the dress!
  • Like everyone else said, go for it and wear it! Besides, you can't go wrong with Anthropologie. (Although, my wallet may say otherwise.)
    Anniversary

• Thanks ladies!! :)
  • If the bride likes it, wear it.  It's about what the bride likes, not your mom.  It's not your mom's wedding.
  • This bride sounds awesome! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards