Chit Chat
Options

Someone convince me that ugly green floral hotel carpets at the venues aren't that bad

larrygagalarrygaga member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited July 2014 in Chit Chat
Because I keep wanting to just reject every single venue because of the damn decoration. There's only one place I'm super in love with that doesn't have
the carpet  but I haven't taken the tour yet so if it doesn't work out what if I'm stuck with an ugly venue????
I read a bit about uplighting so maybe if I just turn off all the lights nobody will see how ugly the room is? LOL
I know my guests won't really care, but I'm an aesthetics person so it's important to me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Someone convince me that ugly green floral hotel carpets at the venues aren't that bad

• Options
    It's a  floor.  

Sure you notice is when the damn room is empty.    Put down table, chairs and a boat load of people who the hell cares what the floor looks like?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Once you get all the tables and chairs and linens in place, plus the dance floor and the DJ booth and whatever else you may have going on then the carpet won't show as much.  Also, typically the lighting is dimmed so then the ugly green carpet will look a lot darker and less noticeable.

• Options
    Just curious, what's your color scheme?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Just curious, what's your color scheme?
    I don't really want to pick one until I have a venue, but I love deep blue/gem tones/neutrals. It's a winter wedding.

I suppose I could ask them to dim the lights while I'm at the tour and see how it looks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Our venue has "the carpet" too.  Notice how with the tables set and lights dimmed, it just looks like a dark floor?  And this isn't even with major decorations.  The uplighting helps distract.

You'll be fine.  Every venue we looked at had "the carpet" and we just gave up.  IDK why it's so popular.  Oh well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Our venue has "the carpet" too.  Notice how with the tables set and lights dimmed, it just looks like a dark floor?  And this isn't even with major decorations.  The uplighting helps distract.

You'll be fine.  Every venue we looked at had "the carpet" and we just gave up.  IDK why it's so popular.  Oh well.

cuts down the sound and echo.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ours had "the carpet" and we just happened to luck out since it was replaced over the winter, after we booked it. It's still floral pattern, but more aqua blues and beige tones.

Do you remember the color of the carpet in the last restaurant you ate at? What about the last wedding you attended? I sure as hell don't. It only sticks out when the room is empty.

• Options
    I have no clue what the floors in my venue look like. Why? Because they are floors.

No one will notice them at your wedding. I suspect you won't either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    How many floors do you ever even notice?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I am in the minority...but I rejected a venue just based on the carpet. It was truly magnificently hideous. Three years later I still remember it. And since my guest list would only have filled about 1/3 of the space...it would have been on glorious display for all to see. All I could think of was that I would be standing there at the altar and I would think "I can't believe I'm getting married on this fugly carpet."

Thankfully there were plenty of other places that didn't have the ugly carpet. Where we got married they had wood floors. 

And I have noticed it at other weddings when the carpet has been exceptionally hideous. It didn't affect me enjoying them however.

But I do notice. 
  • Options
    What color was the floor of the last wedding you attended!?

See?
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    I notice floors for a split second and then I eat some food and walk to the bar and start dancing and don't give a shit about the floor.
  • Options
    I have been in my venue twice since we booked it...and I couldnt tell you what color the floor is..... really.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

cuts down the sound and echo.
    I totally understand why a venue would want carpet in general.  Just not sure why dark green florals are apparently de rigeur for practically every wedding venue, everywhere.  Must have been a trend at some point of course, but what an awful trend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I can always count on you guys to talk sense into me when nobody else can. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Well, I do not know about the color green, that might have been a trend that year. But dark florals in generally hide stains better. Lighter colors will show a shoe print of the first person who walks on the carpet. Darker ones tend not to as much. When you have a lot of foot traffic you have to think of those things.

• Options
    But green??? Couldn't they do like dark brown or grey?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ugh that you even brought this up. I fought with my mother so much this weekend over the f*cking carpet at my venue. The carpet is Xmas colors and patterned and yes it is ugly. So my mom is all "Well we certainly can't do the silver and yellow and blue because the carpet is just going to clash..." and I'm like "Mother I can almost promise you that not a single other person who has had their event at this venue has worried about the damn carpet. Not a single bride has said 'Oh no, the carpet is Xmas colors. I guess we better order Snowmen and Reindeer for our July wedding or else this venue just won't work!'"

UGGGGH with the carpet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How bad is it really?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    Just some pictures to show you that you can barely see the carpet once everything is set up for the reception:
  • Options
    How bad is it really?
    Most of them are pretty dark carpets, so not that bad. One actually has a cool lighter orange one with like tangerine walls. I would probably do some colors that matched that, but it looks better than it sounds.

One has a red and green floral and it's my last resort. It's not a dark carpet. I want to avoid Christmas things for a december wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm not going to lie, I passed up a few venues that had awful carpet. BUT they were also generally dark and depressing to me. had any of these places had windows I maybe could have looked past the carpet
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    It's important to remember that most places look relatively hideous when they are undecorated in the daylight. 

Lighting, set tables, etc. mask most monstrosities. If you love everything else about the venue but the floor, book it! 
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    edited July 2014

Here is the color carpet of the place we are leaning toward. I don't know if you can tell, but they are stars on the carpet (which is funny, cause it would match my red nautical stars tattoo and Fi and I are both space nerds so it works).

• Options
    @JCBride2015 which venue is that? Honestly I think people go to events at venues expecting the carpets to be like this. No one is going to hold it against the B&G or think they have bad taste just for something over which they had no control. My venue had hardwood floors and no carpet, but it was a non-traditional venue. You're really only going to avoid such carpets if you go with a non-traditional venue. FWIW, I much prefer ugly carpet to dirt or dust on the ground for a barn-type wedding where they don't put flooring down.
  • Options
    @JCBride2015 which venue is that? Honestly I think people go to events at venues expecting the carpets to be like this. No one is going to hold it against the B&G or think they have bad taste just for something over which they had no control. My venue had hardwood floors and no carpet, but it was a non-traditional venue. You're really only going to avoid such carpets if you go with a non-traditional venue. FWIW, I much prefer ugly carpet to dirt or dust on the ground for a barn-type wedding where they don't put flooring down.
    @CrazyCatLady3 Highlawn Pavilion-- it's in Eagle Rock Reservation in NJ.  http://www.highlawn.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @JCBride2015 it looks like a beautiful venue.
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    edited July 2014
    @JCBride2015 it looks like a beautiful venue.
    It is not, AT ALL, what I set out looking for in the venue search.  I wanted to get married at the Montclair Art Museum.  Very modern.  But after realizing the headache of bringing in everything to a raw space, we realized we needed to go all-inclusive.  It's an historic building in a nature reservation, which is very "us," and although I don't really like the Mediterranean decor, Fi loves it.  His family is Italian so they think it's awesome.  And the food is da bomb.

This is my favorite pic of the venue.  A mashup of what it looked like as an abandoned county park overlook, and what it looks like restored now:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards