Wedding Reception Forum
Options

No dancing.

We're torn between having a reception with only ballroom dancing, or no dancing at all. I'm leaning toward a no dancing reception, but the only activity I can think for guests to do is cornhole. What else would people like to do at a no dancing reception?

Re: No dancing.

• Options
    Are you torn because you have one preference and FI has another, or are you torn because those are the rules of the venue? Also, how long is the reception going to be? If there's no dancing, I would suggest keeping it pretty short because there's only so much eating/drinking/cornhole-playing you can do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What is your venue like?  Because in my head cornhole and ballroom dancing do not really happen at the same venue.

If you don't want dancing that is fine but know that your reception will not last as long as receptions with dancing.  And if you do offer lawn games such as cornhole or ladder golf or whatever else then the formality of your wedding really needs to go along with that.  Meaning your wedding should be on the more casual side.
    All of this.

And when you say "only ballroom dancing" does that imply I couldn't go out there and just cut a rug if I wanted to? If it truly is ONLY ballroom dancing, I wouldn't do it at all. Guests who don't know how to ballroom dance would either 1) feel left out or 2) ignore your rules and dance however they wanted. Also, the only way this is enforceable is to be a total 'zilla and put signs everywhere or micro manage the dance floor. Neither are great options, IMO.

SITB

Yeah, OP, why is it 'only ballroom dancing'?
  • Options
    What is your venue like?  Because in my head cornhole and ballroom dancing do not really happen at the same venue.

If you don't want dancing that is fine but know that your reception will not last as long as receptions with dancing.  And if you do offer lawn games such as cornhole or ladder golf or whatever else then the formality of your wedding really needs to go along with that.  Meaning your wedding should be on the more casual side.
    All of this.

And when you say "only ballroom dancing" does that imply I couldn't go out there and just cut a rug if I wanted to? If it truly is ONLY ballroom dancing, I wouldn't do it at all. Guests who don't know how to ballroom dance would either 1) feel left out or 2) ignore your rules and dance however they wanted. Also, the only way this is enforceable is to be a total 'zilla and put signs everywhere or micro manage the dance floor. Neither are great options, IMO.

SITB

Yeah, OP, why is it 'only ballroom dancing'?
  • Options
    If you don't have dancing, you might want to consider setting up the reception area more like a cocktail lounge and less of a seated dinner, and serve buffet and passed food style. This encourages people to get up and mingle and engage in conversation. My son's engagement party did not have dancing and we still ended up with a 4 hour event. We did have light, background music.
  • Options
    Cornholing means something different where I'm from...

I too am confused by the ballroom dancing perameter...
    (Me too! Even worse: Every time someone says "cornhole," I almost immediately think of Beavis and Butthead, and then I have to go uh huh huh huh, you said cornhole.)

I want to know about the "ballroom only" rule. How does this work? 
  • Options
    Adults don't need an activity at a reception. As long as there is adequate food, drink, and seating, they will carry on conversations without further organization.
  • Options
    Will you put out a cute sign with a cute poem to tell people only ballroom dancing is allowed?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Maybe guests can cornhole while they ballroom dance? 
  • Options
    If you don't have dancing, you might want to consider setting up the reception area more like a cocktail lounge and less of a seated dinner, and serve buffet and passed food style. This encourages people to get up and mingle and engage in conversation. My son's engagement party did not have dancing and we still ended up with a 4 hour event. We did have light, background music.
    I agree with this, and PPs. 

If you don't want dancing, I recommend having a cocktail style reception. I did and it worked out great. I didn't want everyone to finish their dinner and then think "okay, now what?". It was essentially a 4 hour cocktail hour with a shit ton of food and it was great. 

Also, I don't get the "ballroom dancing only" or cornhole idea. These are two VERY different reception types. Is your crowd a ballroom dancing crowd? Or will most sit there and watch grandma and grandpa waltz, get bored and go home? Either way, please make sure the reception "feel" fits the activities. I wouldn't have a lawn game reception in a hotel ballroom with a live band. Nor would I have a ballroom dancing at a barn. Ya know?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Dancing has never been required at a wedding.  Some religions forbid it.  When there is no dancing, people entertain themselves with conversation.  Those receptions are usually shorter, but very enjoyable.
    What the hell is cornhole?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @cmgragain Basically bean bags. You throw little sacks into holes in a board. It's nice at a family cookout, I don't know why people started doing it at weddings in formal wear. Maybe Pinterest strikes again?

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Dancing has never been required at a wedding.  Some religions forbid it.  When there is no dancing, people entertain themselves with conversation.  Those receptions are usually shorter, but very enjoyable.
    What the hell is cornhole?
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards