Catholic Weddings

Program questions

Two questions about wedding programs:

1) 99% of our guest have been to a catholic mass and know when to sit/stand/kneel, so I'm leaning towards not including this information in the programs. Thoughts?

2) I'm also thinking about leaving the full text of the readings out of the programs, mostly to save space and printing costs. If I leave them out I can have a one page program, if I have the full text then its a four page booklet. Do I need to have the full text? I feel like I've seen programs done both ways....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Program questions

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think you should be fine without all the details. Just list the order of events and maybe mention the names of the important people participating - your officiant, musician(s), bridal party
  • You'll do just fine with a one page program. You may want to list the references for the readings. I'm one of those people who like to go back later and see that. Otherwise, you're fine.
  • Thanks, I hate wasting trees (and money) on a thing that most people throw away. I will list the references as well as the order of event, people of note, etc. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did NOT have a large number of Catholic guests in attendance and I still left off things like sit/stand/kneel and the text of the readings.  I would much prefer that the guests just listen and actually be involved than have their noses in a novel of a program the whole time.
    Anniversary

• Without my knowledge, FOB told her that she could order their programs from Wm Arthur.

Two pages folded in the middle and tied with ribbon the same pattern as the BMs skirts, pink and green on ecru, the wedding colors.

I didn't mind because I didn't know until much later when her dad was going over the wedding expenses with me.  We're divorced but on good terms so we split everything 50/50.  This and the $500 wedding shoes were the two items I balked on.

Whatever, when Mom balks, try Dad.  0_0

• I didn't include any of the readings or the instructions (sit stand kneel) we kept the programs as short as possible.  If you want a template let me know.

Anniversary

• GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Anyone from a non-catholic perspective have any input? (I know, wrong board) I wonder if non-Catholics would be confused, but I don't think my friend's wedding did too much of the sit, kneel, stand. I was a BM so I don't remember having to kneel or anything. I kind of didn't want to waste the money on them, but now thinking about it, with you guys all saying about the kneeling and everything I don't know. Both our families are Catholic and we aren't having a mass so I don't know if it is totally necessary. 
  • I'm a non-Catholic marrying a Catholic in a ceremony outside of Mass. We are having programs because frankly...I'm not 100% sure what's going on. I say that jokingly of course but it is very different from other wedding ceremonies. I don't know that we will include sit, stand, kneel, etc...it seems like a good plan because when I do attend Mass with FI I forgot when I should be doing what and my family to my knowledge has never attended Mass.
  • GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Thanks dear. 
  • In the end I went with just listing the names of the readings, not the whole text, and the outline for a full mass minus the sit/stand/kneel instructions. I was able to get it to fit on one side of a bi fold program, with the wedding party listed on the other side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lennonkdc said:
    In the end I went with just listing the names of the readings, not the whole text, and the outline for a full mass minus the sit/stand/kneel instructions. I was able to get it to fit on one side of a bi fold program, with the wedding party listed on the other side.
    gah SITB- anyways I will probably not have the text in the program or sit/stand/kneel- we are not having a full Mass so I'm fairly certain there's no kneeling in the portion we have...I'm not 100% sure honestly... We have a bi fold as well so it's good to know it all fits!
  • Weddings outside of mass do not have communion, so no kneeling.  You'll stand for a few parts, but the priest/wedding party can lead the way.
    Anniversary

• I think this is a bit of a know your crowd situation.  We had a good number of non-Catholic guests who expressed concern over this to me well before the wedding, so we put in the instructions in case anyone wanted them.  Our priest was excellent about leading people too.  

If it is a wedding outside of Mass, then you might not rea
    lly need the instructions then.  I think the congregation would only stand for the gospel.  I found catholicweddinghelp.com to be pretty helpful in creating our program.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards