Students

Got a bunch done last week! What have all my fellow brides/ students accomplished this summer?

Hey all you ladies!

So last week me and FI took a week long trip to MI where we are planning our wedding.  We went to spend tie with family but also to hash out some really big things for the wedding.  I Also have to tell you all how much I love my family, because they had some surprises for me that were very generous.

1. FI saw the reception venue, and we signed the contract, we are sending in the refundable deposit next week.  We are having our reception at the hall of the Catholic church that my Aunt goes too.  Even though me and FI do not belong to that church they were wonderful to work with and were totally ok with the fact that we are not members.  This place is blank slate.  We can bring in any caterer's we want and we can provide the alcohol ourselves.  The biggest surprise, my aunt came with us, since she knows the people there and then once we agreed we were going to use the place, she decided that she was going to pay for the rental of the hall, as a wedding gift to me and my FI. SQUEEEEEEEEEE.  My aunt is the most wonderful person in the world!!!

2. Me and FI decided on a Ceremony spot!!! There is a park/ Golf Course right around the corner from my Grand parents place.  It's beautiful with lots of trees. And it has a bridge that crosses the river on the grounds that I'm going to be using as my entrance.  They're letting us do it for a very small fee.  The park, which used to be a golf course, just got handed over to the neighborhood association and they have decided to keep it a park, and they're letting us use the clubhouse to get ready and everything. We'll be the first couple to get married there since they did the hand-over.  SO excited

3.  I met with the florist that has done the flowers for my grandparent's house for years.  I've seen their work and its absolutely beautiful.  We got a super reasonable quote for the flowers for the ceremony, WP and Reception, and they gave us a military discount since my mom is retired Navy and my dad is a retired Marine.  Came it at under $600.  Which made me extremely happy.  Then when we leave after agreeing to meet with the florist in January (the next time me and FI will be in MI for wedding planning), to hand in the deposit and everything.  My wonderful Nana announces that she is going to pay for our flowers!   Again I LOVE MY WONDERFUL FAMILY!

4. we got a quote to rent linens and looked at rental places for chairs and tents (in case it rains).

I feel so accomplished and am super excited.  I also am incredibly grateful to my family for choosing to help us pay for the wedding after me and FI had decided to foot the entire bill ourselves.

So ladies, sorry for how long this was, but how are your wedding plans coming?  What things have you accomplished this summer wither school/ wedding/ or life related?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Got a bunch done last week! What have all my fellow brides/ students accomplished this summer?

• I'm not really a student but I still like this board, slow as it may be.  Well, I'm kind of a student until I take and *hopefully pass* the bar next week.  I'm studying my ass off, for sure!

Sounds like you are ahead of the game!  How sweet of your aunt to pay for your reception space rental!  And your Nana paying for flowers-- awesome!

We recently booked our photographer, which was super exciting.  We think he's a great value and Fi and I both clicked with him right away.

I'm starting to look at BM dresses, which is super fun.

Unfortunately one of my BMs' Fi called off her wedding, which was supposed to happen a couple months after mine, so I feel awkward about asking if she wants to come dress shopping.  She already told me her budget and the line I'm looking at is well under her budget, so that's all good.  But she's the type of girl who loves to shop and loves a "girls' day out" kind of thing.  I just feel bad because the last conversation we had about BM dresses, was actually about what I'd be wearing for her wedding.  I don't want to rub the wedding thing in her face right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• DH and I got married in June, and wrote out/mailed all our thank you notes within two weeks of tying the knot (thank goodness for a small guest list). Since then I have been writing my MA thesis like a maniac. It needs to be done by next week then get reviewed by two readers. I have to make all edits and have it submitted to the university by the second week of September so I can start my PhD program. Who would have thought that my life actually could have gotten busier post wedding?
  • I'm not really a student but I still like this board, slow as it may be.  Well, I'm kind of a student until I take and *hopefully pass* the bar next week.  I'm studying my ass off, for sure!

Sounds like you are ahead of the game!  How sweet of your aunt to pay for your reception space rental!  And your Nana paying for flowers-- awesome!

We recently booked our photographer, which was super exciting.  We think he's a great value and Fi and I both clicked with him right away.

Unfortunately one of my BMs' Fi called off her wedding, which was supposed to happen a couple months after mine, so I feel awkward about asking if she wants to come dress shopping.  She already told me her budget and the line I'm looking at is well under her budget, so that's all good.  But she's the type of girl who loves to shop and loves a "girls' day out" kind of thing.  I just feel bad because the last conversation we had about BM dresses, was actually about what I'd be wearing for her wedding.  I don't want to rub the wedding thing in her face right now.
    I know exactly how you feel my BM was supposed to be getting married this September, she had just finished paying off the venue when she had to cancel because her now Ex-FI got arrested for some major stuff that she didn't know about and had been lying to everybody about. Until that we were talking all the time and comparing notes and everything.  Now I just don't want to bring up anything that will make her sad or give her regrets or anything.  I'm hoping once we get passed her "date" I'll be able to bounce some ideas off her and really start looking for BM dresses and such.  It's seriously hard and it makes me want to go to her exs house and beat him to a pulp because I've been friends with her and her sister since the 8th grade. We all have the same tattoos, and he just up and hurts my sister like that. Ugh apparently I need anger management.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• cwradford said:
    I'm not really a student but I still like this board, slow as it may be.  Well, I'm kind of a student until I take and *hopefully pass* the bar next week.  I'm studying my ass off, for sure!

I know exactly how you feel my BM was supposed to be getting married this September, she had just finished paying off the venue when she had to cancel because her now Ex-FI got arrested for some major stuff that she didn't know about and had been lying to everybody about. Until that we were talking all the time and comparing notes and everything.  Now I just don't want to bring up anything that will make her sad or give her regrets or anything.  I'm hoping once we get passed her "date" I'll be able to bounce some ideas off her and really start looking for BM dresses and such.  It's seriously hard and it makes me want to go to her exs house and beat him to a pulp because I've been friends with her and her sister since the 8th grade. We all have the same tattoos, and he just up and hurts my sister like that. Ugh apparently I need anger management.
    Honestly, I never liked her Fi, not when I met him and not over the five years they dated.  He is loud and obnoxious, and just one of those people who will talk your ear off thinking he knows everything.  My friend (she's Fi's cousin) can do MUCH better.

However, I know how excited she was about the wedding.  Honesty it seemed like she was more excited about the wedding than the guy.  So she's really sad, but I think it's for the best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Yea, I never actually got a chance to meet her FI, she lives across the country from me now, but I felt so bad because they took a super long engagement to save money and she already has her dress and had just ordered STD about a week prior to the incident. It sucks because she knew he had been in trouble when he was fresh out of HS and it looked like he had turned things around. I think what hurt her the worse was the fact that he was lying to everyone, and they were living with his parents, which can not be a comfortable situation. In the end I'm glad she has such a supportive family, because they "asked her to help them move" which meant that she's staying with her parents 3 states away from where everything happened. She's been making weekly trips to Disney Land. =) Great way to forget about the broken engagement. It really sucks when some of our best friends end up in shitty situations. ETA: TK ate my paragraphs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• cwradford said:
    Yea, I never actually got a chance to meet her FI, she lives across the country from me now, but I felt so bad because they took a super long engagement to save money and she already has her dress and had just ordered STD about a week prior to the incident. It sucks because she knew he had been in trouble when he was fresh out of HS and it looked like he had turned things around. I think what hurt her the worse was the fact that he was lying to everyone, and they were living with his parents, which can not be a comfortable situation. In the end I'm glad she has such a supportive family, because they "asked her to help them move" which meant that she's staying with her parents 3 states away from where everything happened. She's been making weekly trips to Disney Land. =) Great way to forget about the broken engagement. It really sucks when some of our best friends end up in shitty situations. ETA: TK ate my paragraphs.
    Yes, I feel terrible for my BM, too.  That really sucks it turns out your friend's Fi was lying that whole time.

This Fi who called off the wedding was actually living in her house with her parents.  I can't imagine how awkward that move must have been after he called it quits.  "Sorry guys, I never want to see you again.  So when's a good time to bring the moving van?  Mind giving me a hand with these boxes?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yea, waaay awkward, luckily his parents understood since they had no clue either.  I have to say I love my FI, but in most cases I think men are complete DBags.  And my FI has his moments anyway. 

How's your studying going?  You only have a day left till you get started right?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Studying is okay-- I'm taking it tomorrow morning!  I'm already here at my hotel in Albany.  I'm mostly going over stuff just to make sure I remember it.  I had slacked off on a portion of criminal law so I'm working on that now.

I just can't wait till it's over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Awesome that you're prepared so well.  Helping my FI study for his EMT and Nursing shit was daunting to me. I can't even imagine law school.  I'm a creative writing major though so, in most cases I just worry about doing the massive amounts of reading and then writing the papers, I don't acutally have to remember anything after that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards