Not Engaged Yet
Options

Something old, something new...

ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
This topic was posted on another board but I wanted to ask you ladies; did you do "something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue" and if so what were they?  I know its an old superstition and I am not superstitious at all, but I'm doing it any way.

Old: The diamond in my ring. It was FI's great-grandmother's.
New: My dress/accessories
Borrowed: @Swazzle's veil
Blue: My garter and the sapphires in my ring

Did anybody do any other wedding superstitions? FI's family is Celtic so we're having bells attached to ribbon wand thingies for guests to ring as we leave the ceremony (FI's aunt's idea) and I'm wearing some sort of braid in my hair. Both are suppose to bring good luck.  I really have no idea why I'm doing this...maybe I'm a little more superstitious than I think I am.
Anniversary

Re: Something old, something new...

• Options

My something old- MIL gave me handerchief pieces one was white and one was blue, the handerchiefs were pieces from a handerchief from her grandmother. I had the white one tied into my bouquet.

My something new- my dress

My something blue- I used the blue above handerchief an had it pinned into my dress.

My something borrowed- the table number frames I borrowed.

Anniversary

• Options
    Something old: my grandmother's pearls.

My MOH said she's getting me my something new and something blue.

I still need to get the something borrowed.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I did some things for this tradition too:

Something old and blue - an old handkerchief my MOH got me that had a blue lace on the edges and an "H" embroidered on it for my new last name

Something borrowed - a clutch from my MOH

Something new - the bracelet my hubby got me as a wedding gift

For the sixpence portion I didn't have it in my shoe but I got my dad custom cuff links on Etsy that were made from six pences because he didn't own any nice cuff links and because he's a big coin collector! 

• Options
    I'm doing this, but I don't have everything sorted out yet.

Old: Not really sure. Perhaps something of my grandma's? Great-great-grandmother's ring? That has blue enamel in it, too ...
    New: Dress
    Borrowed: Probably a ring from FGMIL
    Blue: Underwear, maybe the ribbon in my garter, the old ring? 
    Sixpence: from my grandpa's coin collection, which he got from his aunt.
  • Options
    Something old & borrowed:  My garter.  It was my grandmother's garter from her wedding day that has been worn by every woman in my family on their wedding day.

Something new:  My dress.

Something blue:  My shoes
  • Options

Are you going to have your hair up or down? I plan on this style which has a braid :)

My old- diamond bracelet my mom bought me as a high school graduation gift

My new- dress

My borrowed- I'll be wearing a necklace that my dad gave to my mom before they were even married 35 years ago

My blue- I bought teal suade shoes for the wedding. I don't know if teal counts but close enough for me! Maybe I'll do like a robin's egg nail polish instead of a plain french manicure.

• Options

Something old: my grandma's dress

Something new: not sure, probably whatever accessories I add to the dress

Something borrowed: Likely jewelry or my veil (if I have one, possibly borrowing from FSIL or a friend)

Something blue: no idea!

My mom is adamant about the silver sixpence; I'll be using the same one as my grandma, mom and cousin used (and possibly other family before that).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    labrolabro member
    I think I'm going this but I'm with @KeptInStitches. I definitely don't have everything figured out yet.

Something new could be my dress or accessories. Maybe I'll buy some special underwear. I thought with this one your "something new" had to be never worn before your wedding day.

Something old - My grandma gave me a couple of my great grandmother's hankies. I'm also considering wrapping my other grandma's gloves she wore in her wedding around my bouquet.

Something borrowed - I have jewelry from my mom, grandma, and FMIL to try out with my dress and I plan on choosing something from what they've lent to me.

Something blue - I have no idea...maybe I'll find a hair pin with a blue jewel at the end of it and wear it in my hair or something.

We've never done the sixpence tradition. Maybe my grandpa or my FFIL has one in their coin collection somewhere I can use.

• Options
    Something old: the diamond in my e-ring Something new: my dress Something borrowed: a pendant that was my great-great grandmother's that I'll pin inside of my dress Something blue: a aquamarine tennis bracelet that I've had for years!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @jenna8984 I haven't decided yet. There are a couple hair styles I like so when I have my hair trial next weekend I'm going to try both and see which I like. My dress has a sweetheart neckline and I like the way my hair looks with it down. FI also likes my hair down better, so who knows.  These are the hairstyles I've been drooling over.

but with a thicker braid

imageimageimage

I like them alllllllllll :(
    Anniversary

• Options
    All of those styles are really pretty!! Is it going to be hot where you are? That could make your hair limp if you leave it down. And might get sweaty once you start dancing. Just a thought.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @jenna8984 It's usually in the mid to high 70's at the beginning of September here and we're indoors the whole time, except for photos.  My hair holds a curl well. I've been thinking about having it down for the ceremony and then having my hair stylist pin it up real quick for the reception so that its not bothering me while we're dancing. Luckily she is my sister/MOH  and will be there :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I haven't really planned this out. Obviously, I've got plenty of "blue" already. My shoes were new, but they aren't anymore (I've worn them to stuff). I haven't picked out any jewelry or had anyone offer to lend me any, so it's likely I might end up wearing some of my old jewelry. Eh.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Something old- Grandmother's necklace (it's a little gold diamond cross)
    Something new- Dress
    Something borrowed- Mother's veil
    Something blue- Aquamarine engagement ring

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Old: my greatgrandma's ring and handkerchief
    New: my dress and shoes and etc
    Borrowed: I had my sisters veil but didn't wear it. I did borrow a hair tie to wear to my rehearsal lol
    Blue: my undies.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Old: @Sakalicious‌'s handkerchief from her wedding and my Grandmom's handkerchief were pinned under my dress

New: My stepdad have me a bracelet the day before my wedding

Borrowed: A hair comb from my college friend

Blue: My undies!

I also had a penny from the year that H and I were born pinned under my dress. I have no idea why, my mom gave it to me.

• Options
    When my died great-grandma she left me this old hymnal that had a note in it explaining that my grandma, my great-grandma, and my great-great-grandma had all carried it down the aisle at their wedding. I don't think I'll carry instead of flowers but I would like to incorporate it somehow.

• Options

I only have my blue diamond picked out... Though my dress will likely be new.

Do you think 4 year old chacos count as "old"??

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @bethsmiles you could always have your ring bearer carry it instead of a pillow :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    @bethsmiles you could always have your ring bearer carry it instead of a pillow :)
    I doubt we'll have a ring-bearer. We aren't very close to any little kids.

• Options
    Something old: The diamond in my e-ring. It was my grandmother's diamond from her engagement ring.
    Something new: My dress.
    Something borrowed: I wore my grandmother's ring (My dad carries it on his keychain or in his pocket) and DH's Oma's ring (My MIL gave it to me after the wedding, but technically that day it was 'borrowed').
    Something blue: My e-ring, earrings, bracelet and bouquet all had blue in them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Something Old:  No idea (unless my sixpence can do double duty)
    Something New:  My dress/shoes/accessories
    Something Borrowed:  No Idea
    Something Blue:  My sixpence has a blue ribbon and a aquamarine gemstone with it. Similar to this:

EDIT:  I think as a NEY board as a whole, we should find an item that we all pass around as our 'something borrowed' ;-)

Anniversary
  • Options

I did this too. I'm not supersticious, but it felt like a way I could include all the important women in my life: Mother, both Grandmothers and my MIL...and my H. Here were my things:

Old: My MIL gave me an embroidered handkerchief from her mother as a family heirloom. It also happens to be blue, but it wasn't my "something blue".

New: My mom purchased these beautiful earrings with/for me which were my statement jewelry piece. Was even more special to me since she didn't get to go dress shopping wiyh me.

Borrowed: I borrowed something from each of my grandmothers. The first was a pendand engraved MMM from my paternal grandmother. She's passed away and we both shared M's for our first and last initials, so that was special. The 2nd was an emerald ring from from my maternal grandmother that my grandfather actually made.

Blue: A pin H gave me that says "you are loved". It's actually something he picked up randomly from a mall jeweler when we were first dating. He has randomly pinned it to my pillow over the years whenever i've been upset or going through hard times.

All of my things meant something to me...they weren't just fitting into a "old, new, borrowed and blue" category. I was also glad my photog got pics of them all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards