Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Centerpieces need help!

Hi there Knotties-

I have a question.  Should I use the center vase or not use center vase? I was also going to wrap the stems in rhinestones and the do crystal draping underneath the flower bouquet.  What are your thoughts?  Planning on giving this a wow factor.

Thanks!

Re: Centerpieces need help!

• Options
    Hmm.  Personally this is NMS so I'm trying to give objective advice.  I think you definitely need some kind of vase, because even artificial flowers look weird without a vase.  But this particular vase really does not fit the flowers at all, so I see why you're questioning it.

I must say I'm not a fan of that string of faux pearls wrapped around the stems.  The faux pearls don't really fit with the feel of the wrought iron; the wrought iron is heavy and strong, and pearls are delicate.  It's two different looks.  But even if you changed the material you used to wrap them (ex. rhinestones as you said), wrapping the stems looks more like something you'd do to a bridal bouquet than to a centerpiece.  KWIM?

What if you totally lost the flowers and just did a bunch of candles?  That wrought iron thing is meant to have like a hurricane candle in the center, right?  A massive candle centerpiece could look really cool without trying too hard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I think it looks odd without the vase. So I'd use the vase.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Vase. And I also agree with JC about the wrought iron and pearls.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    To have any chance of it looking like real flowers, you need some kind of vase.  Rhinestones, etc. are expensive.  Can you skip all the add ons like that and budget for real flowers?  No amount of bedazzling  and wrought iron holders will make fake flowers look more real.  I think some editing is in order.  When you put too much--candles, flowers, iron, pearls/rhinestones, fake flowers with sparkly plastic things in them--all together, it looks more thrown together than something done with a tasteful hand.
  • Options
    Unless this is holding your actual bouquet(s), I wouldn't tie the flowers into a bouquet at all. I would place them into the vase like a real flower arrangement would be. You can use resin setting solution that looks like water to hold them in place, or little acrylic vase filler beads. You could also use mesh floral netting across the top to secure the flowers, but I don't like the look of artificial flowers in a clear vase with nothing else in it - it just emphasizes the fact that they're artificial.

• Options

Thanks for all your help!!

• Options
    To have any chance of it looking like real flowers, you need some kind of vase.  Rhinestones, etc. are expensive.  Can you skip all the add ons like that and budget for real flowers?  No amount of bedazzling  and wrought iron holders will make fake flowers look more real.  I think some editing is in order.  When you put too much--candles, flowers, iron, pearls/rhinestones, fake flowers with sparkly plastic things in them--all together, it looks more thrown together than something done with a tasteful hand.
    1000X this.

There is A LOT going on here. If your design with the wrought iron holder and candles is set in stone, I would do one of two things:

1) return the fake flowers and buy real flowers in bulk from Sam's or Costco - they're pretty cost friendly - and not use the pearls or rhinestones. If you need filler, use baby's breath. Just put the real flowers in the vase.
    2) consider filling the center vase with water, submerging a flower or two and putting a floating candle in it. Like this:
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    1000X this.

There is A LOT going on here. If your design with the wrought iron holder and candles is set in stone, I would do one of two things:

1) return the fake flowers and buy real flowers in bulk from Sam's or Costco - they're pretty cost friendly - and not use the pearls or rhinestones. If you need filler, use baby's breath. Just put the real flowers in the vase.
    2) consider filling the center vase with water, submerging a flower or two and putting a floating candle in it. Like this:
    Oooooh, that's a great way to use the wrought iron thing you already have.  This would be cost-effective, too, since you don't need as many flowers if you do the submerged look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    My vote is use the vase, but instead of wrapping the stem of the flowers, just put the strands in the vase as a "water" effect. Actually with the flowers being silk, it might look cook to actually put water in there with the pearls. I think wrapping the stems makes it look like you took one of the BM bouquets and just dropped them in the vase as part of your centerpiece.
  • Options
    I would use the vase and get rid of the pearls. Also, the flowers as they are right now look out of scale with the vase. Maybe you could use taller and fuller flowers so they don't look as if they "sank"?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards