Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Italian Coast suggestions

Hey ladies! I absolutely love the pictures online of the Amalfi Coast. Google says Positano, Italy is over 3 hours from Rome, I'm looking for a similar area less than 1 hour from Rome. Also the hotels I'm finding in Amalfi are upwards of $400 a night and I'm looking to be more in the 150-200 range. We are going to London and Paris as well so we don't have all that much time to spend traveling while in Italy. Thanks so much!! 

Re: Italian Coast suggestions

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Why a beach in Italy?  Try Spain, instead.  It's cheaper, and has lots of history.  Italy is not famous for its beaches. 
    Personally, I think you are trying to do too much in one trip.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I have been to Spain already so I prefer to use vacation time on some place new. And I wasn't really interested in the beach or swimming. I love the look and architecture of the colorful buildings along the cliff side coast. Its a two week trip so the cities shouldn't be too much in one trip but we may cut France if we feel it is too rushed.

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Why a beach in Italy?  Try Spain, instead.  It's cheaper, and has lots of history.  Italy is not famous for its beaches. 
    Personally, I think you are trying to do too much in one trip.
    The Amalfi Coast is an insanely popular area. 

We're going to Italy and we plan on going to the Amalfi Coast but we haven't decided where yet either. Also, check out renting a place on Airbnb instead of a hotel. 
  • Options

We're going to Italy and we plan on going to the Amalfi Coast but we haven't decided where yet either. Also, check out renting a place on Airbnb instead of a hotel. 
    @climbingbrideny - FI is traumatized because I brought him to Asia last year and the language barrier was damn near impossible. It took me lots of begging to convince him of Italy (I tell him they speak English but he thinks I'm just lying to get him there). So he needs a real hotel in order to feel comfortable, he would die if we just showed up to a person's rental. Hopefully I can break him of travel-scaredness one day! Let me know where you end up staying please!

• Options

@climbingbrideny - FI is traumatized because I brought him to Asia last year and the language barrier was damn near impossible. It took me lots of begging to convince him of Italy (I tell him they speak English but he thinks I'm just lying to get him there). So he needs a real hotel in order to feel comfortable, he would die if we just showed up to a person's rental. Hopefully I can break him of travel-scaredness one day! Let me know where you end up staying please!
    Stupid box. Totally understand! However, almost all of the people renting apartments on Airbnb speak English. You can read the reviews. But yeah, I totally understand. 
  • Options
    Yeah, many people who rent on Airbnb speak English. English is actually a common language in Europe, so it's smart for those in the tourism industry to know it.
  • Options
    Instead of the Amalfi coast, you could try the Cinque Terre.  It's about an hour outside of Florence though, not Rome.
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:
    Instead of the Amalfi coast, you could try the Cinque Terre.  It's about an hour outside of Florence though, not Rome.
    That's true, I've heard great things about it there. I may just limit this trip to London and Paris and then go back to Italy another time so I can see more of Italy and have time to go places like that and Sicily. We already have the honeymoon booked, this is me doing research for our normal vacation next year lol 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

This made me laugh!
  • Options

Hi,

I know u r looking for something close to Rome, but if you decide to go in Italy for ur honeymoon, u should absolutely go to Ischia...

It's a little Island near Capri, in front of the Amalfitan Coast.

It's bigger and cheaper than Capri and it's so amazing...

I lived there for 2 years ans I can give you advices if u want.

XOXO

• Options
    There are many, many factors here. How long do you have there and would you consider somewhere other than close to Rome? Are you renting a car? Also what time of year are you going?
  • Options
    There are many, many factors here. How long do you have there and would you consider somewhere other than close to Rome? Are you renting a car? Also what time of year are you going?
    @londonlisa It's just a hypothetical thought for next September (1 year anniversary). Nothing actually booked yet. It would probably be 5 days in London and 5 days in Italy and likely rent a car.

• Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    September is a great time to go. I would skip Rome and do Cinque terra/ Santa Margherita/ Portofino. You can easily fly in and out of Genoa or Florence. If you wanted to do the full coast experience, fly to Nice, hire a convertible and drive. It is about a 3 hour drive through some of the most beautiful coast you will ever see in your life- France, Monaco and Italy. Rome is nice, but there is no way I would chose it over the Cote D'azure and Italian Riviera.
  • Options
    Highly recommend the town of Ravello on the Amalfi coast - you can easily take the bus down to Amalfi and a short boat trip to Positano.  We traveled there for a wedding and stayed at the Hotel Giordano, which wasn't too bad - around $250/night.
  • Options
    mariesl said:

Hi,

I know u r looking for something close to Rome, but if you decide to go in Italy for ur honeymoon, u should absolutely go to Ischia...

It's a little Island near Capri, in front of the Amalfitan Coast.

It's bigger and cheaper than Capri and it's so amazing...

I lived there for 2 years ans I can give you advices if u want.

XOXO

Bonus- Ischia is off the Italian coast near Naples which has amazing architecture and history as well! It seemed to me to be less touristy so less English but then again I was with FI and his mom who are native speakers so that may have just been my perception...we love it so much we considered going there but were afraid it would be more family reunion and less honeymoon.

Also word to the wise about renting a car...it's a different driving experience! I was clinging to the armrest most of the time when we went places :)
  • Options
    @londonlisa We may even skip Italy and just do a week in London....what area do you suggest to stay in? It's so hard to look online and have an idea what area is good or what area is far away from attractions. Do you have any hotels near downtown that you love or recommend? We would want to see/walk to the normal tourist things like Buckingham Palace and Big Ben.

• Options
    Well, there is no "downtown" London in the traditional sense. There are lots of pockets of fun neighbourhoods. I would suggest staying near Sloane Square, South Kensington or Kensington High Street, or Mayfair. 

Mayfair is the closest in if you want to go to west end shows. 

I would suggest doing one of those "hop on hop off" buses to get a lay of the land. 

Some must sees are:
    -The British Museum: absolutely amazing with stunning treasures and objects from around the world. And it is Free!
    - Tower of London- make sure you get a tour with a beefeater
    - Don't shop at Harrods, shop at Liberty. Only tourists go to Harrods and frankly it isn't very good.
    - Depending on when in September, book tickets to the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, especially if you can get the last night. It is an amazing Orchestra concert series and on the last night it is a celebration of British music with an amazing atmosphere.
    - London Eye has great views.
    - Churchill War Rooms are fantastic and give you an idea of what London was like during the Blitz.

• Options
    Also check out the Brindisi area of Italy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards