Wedding Reception Forum

Polaroid Guestbook

Has anyone ever done a Polaroid guestbook (or something similar) - where guests take a fun photo of themselves, paste it in the book, & sign/leave a message next to it? I kind of like the idea of doing something like this as the regular guestbook idea doesn't appeal to FI & I that much & this could be a fun keepsake. Another thought was if we had a photo booth (I don't know if we will or not yet), they could use those pictures & do the same sort of thing. Just tossing around ideas at this point.

What are your thoughts on this? Pros/cons? 

Re: Polaroid Guestbook

• The polaroid guest book is fun, but I see 2 obvious downsides:
    1. People may run off with their photos because they want to keep them
    2. I remember polaroid film being annoyingly expensive and only having like 10 photos worth on a role. Who's going to change the film? Will guests know how to do this when a roll runs out? 
    Oh and a third thing, some people really dislike having their photos taken and they probably just won't participate. 

This is one of those ideas that I love in theory, but may not work in execution. I could be wrong though. It could very well turn out awesome. Think through the realistic details of pulling it off and decide if you think it's worth it and if your guests will respond well.  
  • Maybe you could have a friend take the pictures, that way they get done and you get them.  I really love this idea and have never heard of it before.

• The last few weddings we attended did this via the photo booth. The couple seemed to like it.
  • I made 8x8 sheets via Publisher to go in an 8x8 photo album I got at Michaels (far right in the picture). On the top of the sheet had a place for their name(s).  Then I blocked off a section on the sheet for a 4x6 photo.  It said something like "insert picture here".    75 of the sheets had room for a landscape photo, the other 25% for a portrait.  Then I added lines for them to say something.

Kind-of hard to see, but you see how I displayed them at the wedding.

I instructed the photographers to try and get at least one shot of every guest if possible.  After the wedding between the photographer and other people I was able to find at least one shot of every guest.  Some were just a couple.  Some were included us in the shot, still others were them in a larger group shot.   I glued the picture on each page.  

I had about a 90% rate of people filling out a page.  The other 10% I just put their picture on a page and wrote their name at the top.

I love looking at the photo album.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The other downside I see to the polaroid is if a couple wants to be in the picture together then they need to ask someone else to take a picture of them. Unless you want a bunch of polaroid selfies which probably wouldn't turn out that great.
  • This is precisely why I turned to you ladies for advice. While I'm busy thinking I have a brilliant idea, I didn't think of the potential downsides. Thanks for bringing these to light for me :)@novella1186 - I didn't even think about the film! I would have no idea how to use it so some of my guests might not either and you're absolutely right - only 10 photos per roll & not cheap. @lyndausvi - I would never have thought to do something like that. That's definitely a fantastic option :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards