Not Engaged Yet
Options

I'm clueless about the reception

ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
 FI and I have talked with the band and emcee that will be playing our reception about a timeline.  They gave us several options that they've done at past weddings but we're not really sure what's best and what makes the most sense.  What was your reception timeline like? Or what will it be like?  I'm just confused about when to do the dances, cake cutting....and now FI wants to do the garter/bouquet toss so we gotta work that in there somewhere :\
Anniversary

Re: I'm clueless about the reception

• Options
     FI and I have talked with the band and emcee that will be playing our reception about a timeline.  They gave us several options that they've done at past weddings but we're not really sure what's best and what makes the most sense.  What was your reception timeline like? Or what will it be like?  I'm just confused about when to do the dances, cake cutting....and now FI wants to do the garter/bouquet toss so we gotta work that in there somewhere :\
    QUOTING TO FOLLOW!!! I'm so confused too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Ours was a lot simpler than what you're looking for BUT
    We did parent, wedding party, bride/groom intros;
    First dance
    Father/daughter
    Son/mom
    FOOD
    Cake cutting
    Dance the night away
    Exit
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Here's the time line our DOC sent us. It can be tweaked. Does that sound right? The dances/tosses after dinner?

6:00 Guests arrive

6:30 Ceremony Starts

7:00 Ceremony ends/bar opens/apps out

7:30 Reception room ready. Re-enter ballroom

7:40 BP announced into room

7:45 Dinner starts

8:30 Dinner ends

8:40 Cake Cut/Toasts/Dances

11:30 Event ends
    Anniversary

• Options
    @severmilli12 I've seen it done both ways. We wanted to get the dances out of the way early so we did, but our reception also started at 6 PM (if you do the dances before dinner, you're pushing dinner back by at least 15 minutes) With regards to when dinner starts, you want to talk to your venue coordinator too to make sure the kitchen can accomodate whatever you're thinking of (same with cake cutting)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    I'm a personal fan of getting all of the scheduled things done in the beginning of the reception.  The wedding I was in last year had a schedule like this so that guests could spend the rest of the evening partying.  This was their timeline:

Bridal party introductions
    Bride & Groom introduction then first dance
    First course brought out (it was a sit down dinner)
    Father/Daughter dance
    Mother/Son dance
    Second course brought out
    Mother of the Bride toast 
    Third course brought out
    Maid of Honor speech
    Best Man speech
    Bride and Groom cut cake
    Invited all couples to the dance floor (longest married couple got bride's bouquet instead of bouquet and garter toss)
    Dance floor open for rest of night

• Options
    It makes more sense to me that the dances would be done soon after we are announced into the room, right before dinner, but I guess that would put dinner off for another 15 minutes :\ 
    Anniversary

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Tentative timeline for us:

Entrance followed by first dance
    Toasts
    Dinner
    Mother son dance
    Hora
    Reception fun times

We're not cutting the cake (it'll be on display and then cut and served by staff), nor are we having any tosses. We still need to fit in thank-you toasts from me and J somewhere, but that's like ... not something we're worried about.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

This was our timeline

Cocktail hour 6-7

7ish Reception entrance parents, BP, flower girl, ring bearer and us

Dances ( first dance, father/daughter, mother/son, anniversary dance)

3 courses including dinner

Dancing

About an hour after dinner we did the cake cutting

Cake was cut, the dessert tables and cordials bar were opened, the regular open bar was open the whole evening

Dancing the rest of the night

Anniversary

• Options

I think you can do whatever you want! You might also coordinate with your caterer, venue, photographer, etc. because they may need time for certain things. This was our order of events:

Ceremony

Happy Hour (we did family/wedding party photos and then H and I did couple photos during this time)

Reception Entrance/Couple Announced

Dinner (we were first served so once we were finished eating we walked around to see our guests. Dinner was also a buffet, so once people had their food they tore down the buffet so we could have our dance floor.)

Toasts

First Dance/Father Dance/Mother Dance

Cake Cutting

Party!

• Options
    We also had a coordinator for the evening we hired through the venue to keep everything on schedule too, so I didn't have to worry about anything running on time or not.  She also kept getting me food, and drinks it was great to have that.

Anniversary

• Options
    My wedding was an endless cocktail hour so it's a bit different from a typical sit-down. Ours went something like this:

Parents introduced
    Bridal party introduced
    Bride and groom introduced
    1st dance
    Mother/son dance
    Toast
    Food starts being passed/stations open
    Dance
    Dance
    Dance
    Bouquet toss
    Dance
    Cake cutting (I might be lying and the bouquet toss may have been after cake, I forget)
    Dance
    Dance
    Dance
    Dance... dance.

• Options

Our timeline was flipped where we did the dances after dinner.

5:00 guests arrive

5:30 Ceremony

6:00 Cocktail hour

7:00 B&G announced and dinner begins

7:30 Toasts

7:45 Cake cutting

8:00 (right at sunset) B&G first dance, father daughter dance, mother son dance

EVERYONE DANCE

11:00 you ain't got to go home but you can't stay here!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I haven't even come close to thinking about any of this for  my own wedding, but from what I remember from recent-ish family and friend weddings, it's normally something like this:
    Ceremony
    Cocktail Hour
    WP/Parents/Bride and Groom intro
    All of the important dances
    Dinner
    Party for maybe a half hour or so
    Cake Cutting
    Party some more
    Bouquet and Garter tosses
    More partying!
    B&G exit

I've seen people do the tosses before the cake cutting too... I think that also would ensure you'd have more people there to participate. I think a lot of guests who plan to leave the reception early try to stay through dinner and the cake cutting. 

• Options

Okay so this is what I'm thinking for a rough draft timeline:

6pm-6:20, 6:30pm: ceremony

6:30-7:30 cocktail hour

7:30 first course (salad) will be served. Parent's announced, WP, Bride and groom, BG first dance

7:50-ish? Pasta course, best man and FOB toast

8:10-ish main course

9pm: FOB/bride dance, MOG/groom dance

9:20-9:30ish cake cutting

9:30-11:30 DANCE AND DRINK

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I don't have much of an opinion or advice except for this - I prefer for the the first dance and any other spotlight dances to be after dinner. I've actually never been to a wedding that's done it any other way and I really like getting food because I"m usually pretty hungry by the time the reception rolls around.

• Options

Okay so this is what I'm thinking for a rough draft timeline:

6pm-6:20, 6:30pm: ceremony

6:30-7:30 cocktail hour

7:30 first course (salad) will be served. Parent's announced, WP, Bride and groom, BG first dance

7:50-ish? Pasta course, best man and FOB toast

8:10-ish main course

9pm: FOB/bride dance, MOG/groom dance

9:20-9:30ish cake cutting

9:30-11:30 DANCE AND DRINK

I CANNOT WAIT FOR ANY OF THIS TO HAPPEN.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    Ours is all messed up

2:30 Ceremony
    3:00 cake cutting / first dances / pictures
    4:00-5:00 more pictures (cutting my guests loose to go to the restaurant or wander; their choice; I'm providing transportation to the restaurant and will have left a CC so they can order appetizers and drinks if they wish)
    5:15 - Dinner (cake will be served with dinner)
    8:00 - Dessert Party

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Swazzle said:
    My wedding was an endless cocktail hour so it's a bit different from a typical sit-down. Ours went something like this:

Parents introduced
    Bridal party introduced
    Bride and groom introduced
    1st dance
    Fathler/daughter dance
    Mother/son dance
    Toast/MOH/BM speeches
    Food starts being passed/stations open
    Dance
    Dance
    Drink
    Dance
    Bouquet toss
    Dance
    Drink
    Cake cutting (I might be lying and the bouquet toss may have been after cake, I forget)
    Dance
    Dance
    Drink
    Dance
    Dance...drink... dance.

This is what ours will be like, with a couple changes (bolded/crossed out). @swazzle, a couple of my additions should have been in yours too. Just sayin'
    There better be someone taking video...or an invite (yeah i'll just invite myself what of it!)

• Options
    This was our timeline (be advised it was a Winter wedding so the ceremony was early)

4:30 Ceremony
    5:00-6:00- Cocktail Hour
    6:15- Introduction to Wedding Party
    6:20- First Dance
    6:25- Blessing and Dinner begins
    7:25- Speeches
    7:45- Father/Daughter Dance
    7:50- Mother/Son Dance
    8:00- Cake Cutting
    8-9:30- Dancing
    9:30- Bouquet and Garter Toss
    10:00- Send Off 
  • Options
    For some reason I always thought that the cake cutting in my mind signaled the end of all 'ceremony events' and meant 'just party the rest of the night'.  Maybe the bouquet/garter tosses are after the cake though - now I cannot remember!!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards