Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Logistics of Ending a Reception WITHOUT a Formal Exit?

My FI and I are not having a formal exit from our reception (no sparklers, ribbons, rice, etc.), partially because a lot of the options "allowed" at the venue cost a decent amount of money that we don't have room in our budget for anymore. My stepmother may or may not be renting a limo for us to leave in but again, no formal exit like you usually see. Is there a good way to signal to guests that the reception is ending without basically kicking them out? I don't want to have a fun, well thought out reception ruined because of a rude or abrupt end...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Logistics of Ending a Reception WITHOUT a Formal Exit?

• Options
    Announce "everybody go to the hotel bar and take shots with us" That's how I'm planning on leaving
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    At my DD's wedding, they stayed until the end. They left on the hotel shuttle with their friends. Typically, the bar will close 1/2 hour prior to the end of the reception, and the DJ will announce "last song" or some other indicator that the night is ending.
  • Options
    I've attended countless weddings and not one ever had a formal exit. Usually the DJ or band will announce that it's the last song of the night. Everyone dances, says good-byes and leaves. Other times I've gotten onto the shuttle bus with the B&G to attend an after party.

I plan on having the DJ announce the last song and spreading the word that we'll be headed out to a bar. Then I'll say good-bye to all of my guest and head up to my room. 
  • Options
    My band announced it was the last song and thanked everyone (who was left) for coming out.  It was younger guests left--old people had gone home.  After last song, I thanked people, walked back up to the estate house (reception was in a tent) and sat outside on the porch and drank with the people staying at the estate with us--family/bridal party.  When band said it was last song, people took hint.
  • Options
    We didn't do a formal exit. The DJ announced last call and we stood near the exit to say bye and thanks for coming to people as they left. Once everyone was gone, we stayed for a bit and had some time alone (finally) on the venue's balcony while the vendors cleaned up. It was kind of the opposite of an exit but we wouldn't have done it differently.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Turn off the music and turn on the lights. You can also have the bartender do last call a bit before and/or have the DJ announce the last song.

We told everyone it was the last song (no DJ) and said we were moving the party to the hotel bar. And then the music stopped and we hung around hugging and saying goodbye and straightening up for a bit and the headed off to the bar.
  • Options
    Everybody left without being told for ours. We didn't have a dance or a DJ, but our guests seemed to sense when things were winding down and they all said their goodbyes individually and left. My SO and I were some of the last ones there. I don't think it is anything to worry about - I don't think I've seen any B&G exits at any the weddings I've been to, and it's all worked out.

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    We didn't do a formal exit.  My DJ announced the last dance and once that was done the music was stopped and the lights were turned on.  Anyone who stayed to the end then proceeded to the exit where I ended up standing and saying goodbye to everyone.  Not really sure how I got there but it was nice to say bye.  I think my H was drinking some water and getting some fresh air.

ETA:  I haven't been to many weddings with a formal exit but the most recent one I can recall was more of a photo op then a real exit.  Everyone grabbed a sparkler and formed an aisle at the exit outside.  The photographer then had the couple run down the aisle three times just to get the "grand exit" pictures.  Was too forced and made me laugh that their "grand exit" was staged.

• Options
    The music was turned off and they stopped serving drinks at the bar. That pretty much clued everyone in that the reception was over. We were having an after party right next door though so everyone really just had to walk a few steps and keep partying.
  • Options
    Don't announce anything, just ghost. Kidding. I like the idea of having a "last song" so it's less abrupt than just turning the lights up.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    The bar made a last call, DJ announced last song, we started gathering up our stuff.
  • Options
    We didn't do a formal exit.  My DJ announced the last dance and once that was done the music was stopped and the lights were turned on.  Anyone who stayed to the end then proceeded to the exit where I ended up standing and saying goodbye to everyone.  Not really sure how I got there but it was nice to say bye.  I think my H was drinking some water and getting some fresh air.

ETA:  I haven't been to many weddings with a formal exit but the most recent one I can recall was more of a photo op then a real exit.  Everyone grabbed a sparkler and formed an aisle at the exit outside.  The photographer then had the couple run down the aisle three times just to get the "grand exit" pictures.  Was too forced and made me laugh that their "grand exit" was staged.
    HA! That sounds SO awkward!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I've never seen a grand exit at a wedding. Just works the same as a bar - DJ announces when it's last call, then 20 or so minutes later it's the last song of the night, then the music stops and the staff comes and starts stripping tables. Pretty obvious clue that it's time to leave.

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The best way to go about it is to have your DJ or band announce, "These will be our last two songs of the night." 
  • Options

Probably way too much thinking on my end. I hadn't even really considered it though and then my day-of coordinator asked me a few questions to which I didn't have answers...which of course sent me freaking out with less than a month until my day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We didn't do a formal exit, we stayed until the end of the time that we had the venue. We said good night to the last few guests & once everyone was gone, the venue opened the card box & gave us all our cards. The venue has locked card box built into the table that they also use for the cake. I used their box because first, it was free and second I had a guest that I was concerned with possibly taking cards so the venues box open was also a very safe option for us. Then the staff helped up load up the car with the things we needed to take home (leftover food/cake and a few presents) and we just drove off in our car.
  • Options
    OUR DJ did a last call for booze and a "last dance" so it became clear. I think "grand" exits are silly and unnecessary.

We alll just loaded into our shuttled and went back to hotel. I think some people parties by the pool, but we stayed in our room as we were exhausted
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards