Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

XP: Ceremony Music

Hi ladies!  We've been a bit tardy in selecting our ceremony music for our (late) October wedding.  We booked our DJ at the end of last year but didn't include the ceremony time because my dream would be to have a string group and I thought I could research it a little later.  Somehow, with other life activities going on, we are just now figuring this out and are hoping to decide this week or next.  

I'm wondering if there are options out there that I'm not considering.  We've gotten quotes from a few string groups, but I'm not sure we want to spend $600-900 for this at the stage where there are very few costs left in my control.  I've emailed our DJ to see what the cost would be to add an hour to his contract & if he would charge us to set up a second station.  The only other option that has occurred to me is DIY with a phone and iHome or something of that nature, but our ceremony is outdoors for approx. 150 people and I'm not too keen on that idea anyway.  

What did you do for your ceremony music?  Were you happy with your choice?  If you happened to use a string group, can a duo be heard with 150 guests outdoors or is a trio/quartet needed?

(will be XPing to music board)

Re: XP: Ceremony Music

• If you're willing to give it a shot, contact a local college and see if they have students who you can hire.

We ended up buying a CD from bed bath and beyond and playing it while people sat down. Then we picked specific sings for the processional. Our DJ played everything.
    *********************************************************************************

• A few things:

1. If colleges near you have music as a major, PLEASE CONTACT THEM.  Music students are chomping at the bit to perform and gig, and there's a good chance they'll do so for you.  They also have an insane amount of repertoire.  Coming from a graduate of music school, please do this.

2. Whoever you hire for the ceremony (DJ, college students, musicians of any kind), PAY THEM WHAT THEY ASK FOR.  I'm not saying you would do this, but a lot of people look at the price a musician charges and goes "haha, fuck that! you're just a musician!  you just have to whip out your instrument and play for a few minutes!"  WRONG.  There's a lot of work that goes into any performance by any musician.  Pay them what they ask for.  Musicianship is a musician's livelihood, just as plumbing is a plumber's livelihood (and you wouldn't gyp them, would you?).

3. I think a duo would be able to be heard by a group of 150, as long as they're not playing a super soft song, and as long as they're not being overpowered by something out of their control - i.e. the ocean (if that's where you're getting married), nearby construction, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • @marzipan13, don't worry I would never argue their price :)  There might be some colleges with good music departments nearby, I'll have to investigate!  I always forget they are an option.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards