Wedding Reception Forum

No chicken?

For my wedding we will have 4 entree choices. We get to pick out of a long list of amazing choices as options for our guests to order. So far we have decided on filet mignon, Chilean sea bass, and vegetable lasagna. The natural choice for the last one would be a chicken dish (there are 3 different chicken options to choose from), but there is also a duck option. We thought this would be a different option for our guests over the chicken, since people don't always have the option to order a duck entree. We also don't want guests to side-eye our menu choices because there is no chicken option. So, my question is: as a guest would you side-eye a wedding menu with no chicken option?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No chicken?

• I think the reason that chicken is offered so much is because it is a neutral and well accepted/liked option for those guests who aren't ones to eat "outside of the box."

I would only offer the duck option if you know that many of your guests would appreciate and like that option.  I don't know very many duck eaters and that option at my wedding would have probably been chosen by maybe three people.

But to not provide a chicken option is not wrong, especially since you are providing 4 other options all of which cover a wide expanse of what people may enjoy.

• I would not side eye it, no. I would usually NEED it b/c I am a picky eater who usually has to rely on chicken to have something to eat at these kinds of things, but I would also like your steak and fish.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't side eye no chicken.  But I also wouldn't be like "yea, a wedding is finally giving me the option to eat duck".  I'm guessing it's not usually an option because it's not a very mainstream choice.  I've never had it so I wouldn't order it and risk being starving all night because it turns out I don't like it.  Like Maggie said if you know your guests love duck go for it.  But if you are considering just because it's different I'd skip it.  Right now based on your menu I'd get the filet.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think if you're going to offer duck, it would be better as an appetizer or buffet option so people who are really "yeah, I finally get to try duck!" can try a tiny piece but still have other things to eat if they don't like it. I wouldn't side-eye having it as an option, nor would I be mad at no chicken, but I wouldn't order it as my main entree. 

• I wouldn't side eye a duck option in lieu of chicken, but I would also not see it as an opportunity to eat duck.  If your guests would, then by all means go for it.  But if you don't know that your guests would care for it, I would not offer it as a "different" option.  Many people don't like to go outside the box when they eat-they'd prefer to stick with the tried and true-like chicken.
  • I wouldn't side-eye no chicken entrees. From what you have listed, assuming you pick the duck, I would definitely choose duck. Well-prepared, it's one of my favorite meats.

On my environmental soap box for 2 seconds... If you have Chilean sea bass, I would verify that it's from a sustainable source. Lots of it still comes from pirate fishing practices. There is some that's ok - ask your caterer if their source has the blue eco label from the MSC.
    *********************************************************************************

• I wouldn't be upset about there being no chicken, but I know that I personally wouldn't order the duck.
    I usually would always go for chicken but everything else on your menu sounds pretty good, I'd probably order the steak instead.

Completely up to you, if you feel your crowd would enjoy duck - go for it. I highly doubt anyone would be annoyed that chicken wasn't offered. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• For my wedding we will have 4 entree choices. We get to pick out of a long list of amazing choices as options for our guests to order. So far we have decided on filet mignon, Chilean sea bass, and vegetable lasagna. The natural choice for the last one would be a chicken dish (there are 3 different chicken options to choose from), but there is also a duck option. We thought this would be a different option for our guests over the chicken, since people don't always have the option to order a duck entree. We also don't want guests to side-eye our menu choices because there is no chicken option. So, my question is: as a guest would you side-eye a wedding menu with no chicken option?
    Your wedding menu sounds almost identical to ours! We are doing bacon wrapped filet, chilean sea bass, vegetable napoleon, and duck breast! (We keep waffling though between the duck and a rack of lamb with blueberry sauce!)

I'd say go for it! But I love duck. 
  • Chicken is usually on the menu because it is cheaper than filet mignon and lobster.  Nobody is forbidden to eat it (pork and shellfish for Jews and Muslims, beef for Hindu), and nobody is allergic to it (shellfish).  It isn't required.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    CMGragain said:
    Chicken is usually on the menu because it is cheaper than filet mignon and lobster.  Nobody is forbidden to eat it (pork and shellfish for Jews and Muslims, beef for Hindu), and nobody is allergic to it (shellfish).  It isn't required.
    Umm most Hindus will not eat chicken...or any other meat. 

ETA: But yeah, given your variety, OP, no chicken is fine. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Chicken is usually on the menu because it is cheaper than filet mignon and lobster.  Nobody is forbidden to eat it (pork and shellfish for Jews and Muslims, beef for Hindu), and nobody is allergic to it (shellfish).  It isn't required.
    Not a true statement.  Poultry allergies do exist. A guy I grew up with has a child who is allergic to chicken.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will probably pick the chicken. Duck isn't really a replacement, but FI and I just like duck! We want all our guests to be happy, and since chicken is generally well liked we'll probably just stick with that. Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Good to know that my menu will be well received!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't have a problem with no chicken. I find that most chicken at weddings is sad and dry anyway. I'm also an adventurous eater.

However, even the pickiest eater should be able to eat one of those options and like it--veggie lasagna sounds awesome to me! And while I am on board with taking guests' comfort into account, I hardly think that not having chicken on the menu is really that big of a deal. If someone is so picky they won't eat steak or lasagna, then I would have to think they'd be the type of person who has Clif bars or other snacks in their bag at all times just in case they won't like what's served. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never understood the "Oh no, what if I don't like it? Then I'll be hungry!" argument. No, if you don't eat it you'll be hungry. No one ever died of eating something they weren't crazy about.

But that's a separate rant. Serving your guests food they'll probably like is a good move; the food you're offering is widely "likable," so you should be good.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love the idea of duck instead of chicken. I think with four options there will still be an option for everyone. 

They both have wings, dude. Go for it. 
  • If you are worried about it, ask the venue. They will know what the popular things are. If the duck is popular, go for it. If no one ever picks the duck when it is offered, opt for the chicken. H and I would both eat duck, but then again, we would eat any of the other things too.
  • scribe95 said:
    I love chicken and always eat it at weddings. I would probably wonder why given you had four options chicken wasn't one of them. It pleases a lot of people so seems like a good move.
    This.  I mean, I'd eat the steak.  But I prefer chicken over red meat.  
  • I wouldn't have a problem with no chicken. I find that most chicken at weddings is sad and dry anyway. I'm also an adventurous eater.

However, even the pickiest eater should be able to eat one of those options and like it--veggie lasagna sounds awesome to me! And while I am on board with taking guests' comfort into account, I hardly think that not having chicken on the menu is really that big of a deal. If someone is so picky they won't eat steak or lasagna, then I would have to think they'd be the type of person who has Clif bars or other snacks in their bag at all times just in case they won't like what's served. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never understood the "Oh no, what if I don't like it? Then I'll be hungry!" argument. No, if you don't eat it you'll be hungry. No one ever died of eating something they weren't crazy about.

But that's a separate rant. Serving your guests food they'll probably like is a good move; the food you're offering is widely "likable," so you should be good.

STIB:

It isn't necessarily picky eater thing. My best friend is gluten intolerant and she doesn't eat red meat. She also doesn't like any kind of seafood (I guess that's a little picky, but a lot of people don't eat seafood). So pretty much her food options are poultry. She wouldn't be able to eat at this wedding. I realize that's an extreme case, but I think not having a chicken option is definitely a know your guest list kind of thing.
  • Personally I would be excited about a duck option and that would be my pick.  I enjoy a well prepared duck dish, and it's a nice treat that doesn't come up that often for me.  As Liatris2010 suggested, ask the venue, they might have some insight.  

STIB:

It isn't necessarily picky eater thing. My best friend is gluten intolerant and she doesn't eat red meat. She also doesn't like any kind of seafood (I guess that's a little picky, but a lot of people don't eat seafood). So pretty much her food options are poultry. She wouldn't be able to eat at this wedding. I realize that's an extreme case, but I think not having a chicken option is definitely a know your guest list kind of thing.

Actually, if she chooses duck, that is poultry, so she would be able to eat. 

I think all of your meal options sound delish!  I personally would probably choose the beef.

STIB:

I think all of your meal options sound delish!  I personally would probably choose the beef.

So she chooses not to eat red meat or any kind of seafood, and apparently wouldn't understand that duck is poultry? Yup. She's a picky eater and if she goes hungry that's on her.

STIB:

So she chooses not to eat red meat or any kind of seafood, and apparently wouldn't understand that duck is poultry? Yup. She's a picky eater and if she goes hungry that's on her.
    But if she's never had duck she may not like it so after a couple of bites she sitting there with food she doesn't like.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's exactly what being picky means! She might not like it. So? She can either eat it anyway, eat sides, or go hungry. I hate this notion that grown ups must be served food they "like" in order to be properly hosted. If you only "like " chicken, grow up and get over it or get used to missing a meal from time to time!
  • That's exactly what being picky means! She might not like it. So? She can either eat it anyway, eat sides, or go hungry. I hate this notion that grown ups must be served food they "like" in order to be properly hosted. If you only "like " chicken, grow up and get over it or get used to missing a meal from time to time!
    Or it makes her sick.  On another board there was a thread about offering duck and lamb.  People mentioned both of those items are only cooked to medium.  I could not stomach poultry that is not fully cooked as in looking at it could cause me to start heaving at the table and being pregnant my doctor advises against anything that is not well done.  So right now chicken is my safest bet when eating out.  It's always fully cooked.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Then eat salad. Or bread. Or the sides. Or the lasagna. You are not entitled to the one-true-most-holy-food-option of tough-dry-buffet-chicken.
  • mysticl said:
    That's exactly what being picky means! She might not like it. So? She can either eat it anyway, eat sides, or go hungry. I hate this notion that grown ups must be served food they "like" in order to be properly hosted. If you only "like " chicken, grow up and get over it or get used to missing a meal from time to time!
    Or it makes her sick.  On another board there was a thread about offering duck and lamb.  People mentioned both of those items are only cooked to medium.  I could not stomach poultry that is not fully cooked as in looking at it could cause me to start heaving at the table and being pregnant my doctor advises against anything that is not well done.  So right now chicken is my safest bet when eating out.  It's always fully cooked.  

***********SITMFB*********************

I'm all about good hosting. But honestly, if the only thing someone can eat without heaving at the table is well-done chicken, then they should probably eat before they attend a wedding or bring snacks they know they like. There's never a guarantee the exact food you (general you) like, the way you like it prepared will be offered at a social event.

Even if a B&G were to offer their guests a menu with 10 options, there will probably STILL be someone who doesn't like what's on it. The food would still be properly hosted. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Then eat salad. Or bread. Or the sides. Or the lasagna. You are not entitled to the one-true-most-holy-food-option of tough-dry-buffet-chicken.
    Lasagna sounds great.  Vegetable Lasagna is disgusting to me.  I know I'm not entitled to anything at a wedding I'm not going to.  I have also never had tough, dry chicken on a wedding buffet.  I've always found it to be quite good.  The post was specifically asking if people would side eye the couple for not serving chicken.  So I pointed out some issues that could come up surrounding that choice.  The OP can take the information provided in this thread and make a decision from there.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Then eat salad. Or bread. Or the sides. Or the lasagna. You are not entitled to the one-true-most-holy-food-option of tough-dry-buffet-chicken.
    Lasagna sounds great.  Vegetable Lasagna is disgusting to me.  I know I'm not entitled to anything at a wedding I'm not going to.  I have also never had tough, dry chicken on a wedding buffet.  I've always found it to be quite good.  The post was specifically asking if people would side eye the couple for not serving chicken.  So I pointed out some issues that could come up surrounding that choice.  The OP can take the information provided in this thread and make a decision from there.  

The thing is, if someone doesn't want the duck or the veggie lasagna, there are still two other options with the beef and the fish.  This bride and groom is being more than accommodating for their guests. 
  • I appreciate everyone's input! Our venue is super accommodating, so if there are any allergies or guests that are gluten free, kosher, vegan, etc. they want to know about it ahead of time so they will be properly taken care of. I would hope that if someone is extremely picky food wise they would feel comfortable either asking me if there is an option that they will like, or proactively bring snacks because they understand they are not necessarily going to like what's on the menu. Our cocktail hour is also going to be enormous, so hopefully everyone will find something they like!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards