Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

paying for make-up trial?

Hi Ladies,

I was curious if it was standard to pay for a trial session with your make-up artist? I just got the pricing from a potential make-up artist and was floored to see that she is charging $75 for a trial session. Is this the norm? I just assumed the trial was free and i'd tip her. 

What have been your experiences?

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: paying for make-up trial?

• Yes, it is the standard to pay for a trial.  Remember you are booking an appointment with your stylist so of course she is going to charge you for it.  As for the cost, well that depends on your area and your salon and your stylist.

But yeah, paying for a trial is 100% normal.  This is her job so she isn't going to do this stuff for free.

• @Maggie - Thanks, I guess it does make sense, I just had heard differently from other brides, so I was surprised. If it is considered the norm, then it's all good!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Trials are definitely not free. You're using up their resources and their time that they could be using on a paying client, so of course you need to compensate them. 

Otherwise everyone could waltz around constantly requesting free trials from makeup artists for any random event! A few stylists I talked to had the trial cost discounted, but it still wasn't free.

• Yeah, it makes sense now that you guys say that. 

I just had heard from friends that their trials were free and they tipped them because they had already agreed to get their makeup done for the wedding by them. Hence, my confusion since I've never done professional makeup sessions before.
  • TeddiD34TeddiD34 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
    These differ from artist to artist. Mine includes Wedding Day make up, free lashes and a trial for $50, and she's very good too. It may be a regional thing as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My trial is $60. I got super annoyed about it, but I had never thought about paying twice for something. She said I could pay $30 and she would take it off after she was done...but I'm just going to pay the full price and make the fiance take me out somewhere nice afterwards :)
  • My trial is $80. It covers hair and makeup so it's no biggie. I rather pay that and get an idea of how I will be looking the day of the wedding :)
  • I think the only time where it would be "free" is if you bought some sort of package for the wedding day that included a trial. Kind of like when a photographer throws in an engagement session.
  • xoadri said:
    Yeah, it makes sense now that you guys say that. 

I just had heard from friends that their trials were free and they tipped them because they had already agreed to get their makeup done for the wedding by them. Hence, my confusion since I've never done professional makeup sessions before.
    The price of the trial might have been built into the package so while they did not pay at the time of the trial they did end up paying for it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My trial for H+MU is $150!
  • Hair alone is $75/style for me. I had to talk my stylist into not doing a trial run... I don't think I can fathom $150 on hair alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mystic.. good point! Thanks for the info ladies :)
  • I think most charge. Mine (if I decide to go with her - still undecided because I am considering airbrush) does trails for free for the bride & $20 for anyone else.
  • Mine is 45 for Makeup & 75 for hair! Hopefully i'll get taken out to dinner cause i'll look all fancy!
  • I live in DC and mine is $200 so these all sound like a steal to me!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is in LA and was included in the price ($225) and for any BM or moms($85) who wanted a trial it was $40 for just hair, or $55 hair and makeup.  Both moms are having hair trials, because they haven't used my stylist before and have difficult hair.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards