Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How to pull off a crazy idea for an arch?

I'm getting married October 25th at my church. The church is pretty old, and the background is going to be pretty terrible, but its where my fiance and I met and we wouldn't dream of getting married anywhere else. I've been trying to figure out what to do about an archway/backdrop/something, and I had this crazy idea but I'm not sure if it's feasible.

I want to have an archway like the one in Universal Island of Adventure. We got engaged there, and my ring says, "Let the..." and the wedding band "...adventure begin!" The archway itself says "The adventure begins". It's carved into stone. Obviously, it would be hard to get stone that says that, and I think large brown butcher paper over something would probably be tacky. I could probably get a wood sign. I have friends and family that are some of the most creative people, and access to a lot of materials, I just can't envision how I could possibly make something that's 1) pretty but 2) still symbolizing/looking like this archway. 

Any ideas?

Re: How to pull off a crazy idea for an arch?

• If any of them are into woodburning, you could probably get them to put that on a piece of wood to hang from the archway on a hook-and-eye deal.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• fam1820 said:
    I'm getting married October 25th at my church. The church is pretty old, and the background is going to be pretty terrible, but its where my fiance and I met and we wouldn't dream of getting married anywhere else. I've been trying to figure out what to do about an archway/backdrop/something, and I had this crazy idea but I'm not sure if it's feasible.

I want to have an archway like the one in Universal Island of Adventure. We got engaged there, and my ring says, "Let the..." and the wedding band "...adventure begin!" The archway itself says "The adventure begins". It's carved into stone. Obviously, it would be hard to get stone that says that, and I think large brown butcher paper over something would probably be tacky. I could probably get a wood sign. I have friends and family that are some of the most creative people, and access to a lot of materials, I just can't envision how I could possibly make something that's 1) pretty but 2) still symbolizing/looking like this archway. 

Any ideas?
    1. Have you asked the church about this? Many churches are picky about what you want to stick on the altars. 

2. I think this thing could be distracting at the ceremony or look odd on a church altar - it seems something more door to the reception appropriate in the case of a church wedding. I don't know though - maybe I just can't picture it. 

3. I think an arch with a wood burning pen taken to it - or just engraved - sounds like your best bet. 
  • You need to check with your church.  Many churches aren't even fan of having flowers placed on their alters let alone a big wooden arch.

I think if you really wanted this then it should be something set up at the reception location which your guests walk under as they enter.

Or do something with the saying for your guest book that can then be displayed in your home.

• Instead of an archway (which logistically might be a little tough), can you get it printed or painted on an aisle runner? Maybe from back-to-front, so it reads in order as you walk down (i.e. ending with "begins" at the altar).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • beethery said:
    If any of them are into woodburning, you could probably get them to put that on a piece of wood to hang from the archway on a hook-and-eye deal.
    This. I bought a little woodburning pen at Michael's and did all the wood-burning myself for our wedding signs. It would take several hours to do a huge sign like that with the Michael's pen (it's for small projects). 

Ditto PPs on checking with your church.
    *********************************************************************************

• All I have to add is...we are date twins! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• The church we got married in was super picky about decorations.  You could have 3 floral arrangements at the front of the church and an aisle runner.  Nothing on the actual alter, nothing on the pews, nothing tossed by flower girls.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Assuming that your church even allows it, the message seems a little cutesy for a house of worship.  At least it does to me.
  • Hey everyone- thanks for the replies and information. I do think woodburning would work the best, and may allow mw to make it look more like an alter. With regards to my church, its about the most relaxed, rule-less, casual church one could possibly imagine. I think if i wanted a flaming alter they'd work with me as long as i made sure to think it through and keep it safe. And i get what people are saying about it not looking right, but i think in my church it would work. The background now is horrendous- so i will have to do something. And i like things that are meaningful, and then aesthetics kinda come second. And my reception is actually in a more uppity place with lots of regulations, so probably couldnt do an arch there. I really appreciate the ideas and the replies, thanks!
  • @fam1820 - shoot me a PM if you end up deciding to do the wood-burning yourself. I had some "lessons learned" from doing my own.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards