New Jersey
Options

registry

just wondering what everyone's take is on registering. When should it be done, what is too early? Im getting married 4/11/15, everyone is saying i should start but my fiance thinks it is too early. 

Re: registry

• Options
    just wondering what everyone's take is on registering. When should it be done, what is too early? Im getting married 4/11/15, everyone is saying i should start but my fiance thinks it is too early. 
    Showers generally take place 1-3 months before the wedding.  If you know when your shower is, you can wait and then register about a month or two before.  That's what I did.  If you don't know when it is, register by the end of November.  This would also cover you in case you have any relative want to use it to buy you something for the holidays.   

Don't see the point in registering much earlier.  Items come and go from stores, they get discontinued, etc.

• Options
    We registered in January for our June wedding.

Anniversary

• Options
    It also depends on if you are having an engagemt party. We are not getting married until 11/7/2015 but we are already registered some my family wanted to get us engagement gifts. We will update our registry right before the shower to remove discontinued items and add replacements.
  • Options
    Jenn7778 said:
    It also depends on if you are having an engagemt party. We are not getting married until 11/7/2015 but we are already registered some my family wanted to get us engagement gifts. We will update our registry right before the shower to remove discontinued items and add replacements.
    I've never seen a registry for an engagement party.  That said, if you are going to create one, I'd make sure there are "nice" things on there like frames or crystal or beautiful serving pieces.  I would never go to an engagement party and bring a toaster, KWIM?  That would be more appropriate for the shower.
  • Options
    So far we have gotten our dishes, toasting flutes, cake servers, vacuum and some platters and servers. Every engagement party I have ever been to has had a registry and it is pretty common in my family to register right away since my aunts and cousins like to get engagement gifts.
  • Options
    Jenn7778 said:
    So far we have gotten our dishes, toasting flutes, cake servers, vacuum and some platters and servers. Every engagement party I have ever been to has had a registry and it is pretty common in my family to register right away since my aunts and cousins like to get engagement gifts.
    Wow, those are some serious engagement gifts!  We got mostly small checks at our e-party along with token gifts like picture frames.  Fi's siblings all chipped in to get customized toasting flutes for us to use at our wedding, but we hadn't registered for them.  Good thing we both like them anyway! :)

We're getting married in May and I was figuring we'd register sometime just before the holidays.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Jenn7778 said:
    Wow, those are some serious engagement gifts!  We got mostly small checks at our e-party along with token gifts like picture frames.  Fi's siblings all chipped in to get customized toasting flutes for us to use at our wedding, but we hadn't registered for them.  Good thing we both like them anyway! :)

We're getting married in May and I was figuring we'd register sometime just before the holidays.
    Ditto.  I always give cash and sometimes small token gift for engagements.
  • Options
    Dee613Dee613 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    veronicavacca thanks for this post! 

I'm getting married on 4/11/15 also and my fiancé and I are going through this same conversation right now! lol
  • Options
    @Dee613‌ small world ! Which venue
  • Options
    Dee613Dee613 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    @veronicavaccatadros Lake Valhalla Club in Montville, NJ. U?
  • Options
    Veronica - I hope that's not your full name in your user name.  If so, highly recommend changing it.  Internet safety and all.
  • Options
    @Dee613‌ Seasons in Washington twp
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone.
  • Options
    We got engaged in January and people started asking us right away if we were registered but we said we wanted to hold of.   My boss' wife asked 4 times before we decided to just do it. We registered at the end of February.  We didn't tell anyone but her that we registered.  We had an engagement party in May and didn't tell anyone about the registry unless they asked.  We got some gifts from our registry and other people gave cash gifts.  I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it.  I'm noticing that brides really get criticized for the choices we make which kind of puts a damper on wedding planning. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards