Military Brides

Sword arch for a navy wedding

Hello everyone,
My Finance and I are getting married on June 23rd and we are having a military wedding. Unfortunately the officers we have asked to be in the sword arch are all either going to be deployed or across the country at their new duty stations. Is there some where I can go to find swordsmen for the wedding. I would be happy to have them at the reception after.
Growing up close to the Naval Academy, i've always wanted a sword arch and I'm really at a loss. Can anyone help me out with my pickle?

Re: Sword arch for a navy wedding

• I would not want one of random people just for the arch, kwim? Ours were H's coworkers, could you guys do that?
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Unfortunately we are stationed in California and the wedding is in Maryland. All of the guys off of his previous ship are deployed and the guys here cant afford to fly accross the country for a sword arch. His close freinds are not even flying out. there will only be one commisioned  officer at the wedding. You cant have an arch with just one haha.
    Im stuck and im not quite sure what to do.
  • You may just have to forgo it.  Most color guards and such no longer do them.  They are, most often, done by friends or the unit the bride or groom is in.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agree with iluvmytxrgr you might have to forgo it.  The arch at our wedding consisted of friends.  The honor guards do not provide that service anymore (or at least the Army ones don't).   
  • Hey!  Ok - So we were in the same situation....(a bunch of my husband's friends were deployed or in flight school and couldn't make it to our wedding...) We ended up calling the local ROTC unit and they sent a couple of their officers and instructors to complete the arch.  They brought their own swords and were completely wonderful!  We invited them to stay for the reception, and they had a blast.  I would totally suggest just shooting your local campus ROTC unit an email and asking...never hurts!  (It wasn't the traditional route, but it turned out to be wonderful.)

Hope this helps!
  • If you do end up going with random persons, I highly suggest that the person that "Welcomes you to the Navy" with a swat on the butt be the officer that you actually invited to the wedding. I could only imagine how awkward that would be for just a rando to be hitting you on the butt.

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_sword-arch-for-a-navy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:950ff436-c4c5-4be4-b516-e9029225fa28Post:8acb9ce6-aab0-4739-aee1-ad0a2cdbedd8">Re: Sword arch for a navy wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do end up going with random persons, I highly suggest that the person that "Welcomes you to the Navy" with a swat on the butt be the officer that you actually invited to the wedding. I could only imagine how awkward that would be for just a rando to be hitting you on the butt.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Hahahaaaa that's a good point Amanda!  We had friends of H's do the arch.  We ended up only having 4, which still worked.  H didn't want rando's in the arch so we never looked into where to find people to do it.  Sorry I'm no help, but welcome, and good luck!
  • You can call the Naval Academy's chapel and they may be able to help you out with something.  Or the Naval Academy could also have an honor guard who, if they're available, may be able to help you.  I know USAF chapels are supposed to offer help. We saw a wedding where it was Air Force guys using Navy Swords, but nobody said anything... MD will be a much easier place than a lot of other places in regards to who has that type of service
  • Hi All...in the same idea. Does anyone know how many is the minimum for a sword arch? We have 4 and I was told it had to be six...can't seem to find any specifics anywhere
  • OtterDeux said:
    Hi All...in the same idea. Does anyone know how many is the minimum for a sword arch? We have 4 and I was told it had to be six...can't seem to find any specifics anywhere
    This is an old thread, but there should be a D&C manual that specifies for your/your fiance's branch. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards