Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

buyers remorse - wedding dress regret

​I went to look at wedding dresses this past weekend at David's Bridal and found 2 I really liked but I liked one a lot more. I remember loving the dress in the store - but now looking at the pictures the dress just looks extremely shiny - too much so. I don't remember the dress seeming so shiny at the store but I don't want it to look overly shiny in pictures. I don't know if the overhead lighting and mirrors have any effect on increasing shine or not.

I'm hoping when the dress comes in that I will remember why I chose it when I put it on or that David's Bridal could do an exchange for another dress (not sure if they even allow this). I went in wanting lace and came out with charmeuse.

Re: buyers remorse - wedding dress regret

• Options
    I don't think it looks overly shiny at all. Why not go back to David's, try on the dress again and if you are still feeling hesitant ask them about their exchange policy. If worse comes to worse and you decide that you do not like the dress you purchased and they will not allow you to exchange it then try and sell it and look for something else.

• Options
    I did the same thing as you.  Went in, found a dress I loved, took pictures, bought it.  

A few weeks later, I looked at the pictures and freaked out.  I'm talking, trying to re-budget stuff so I can afford to buy a new dress, freak out.  I obsessed until I went back in for alterations and, sure enough, fell in love with it again.

There was a reason you liked the dress when you put it on.  Remember that feeling.  (For what it's worth, I LOVE that dress on you!)  

Also, stop looking at other dresses online/TV/etc.  I was VERY guilty of that, and started "what if-ing" all the time.  There a million gorgeous gowns out there to fawn over and think, "well, maybe I should have gotten that...." and you'll drive yourself crazy going through that.  Try to relax, and put this issue aside until you go back in.

(I'm also 99.9% sure DB doesn't do exchanges, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

And once more for good measure--it does look really good on you  :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    I can almost guarantee the store's lighting is making it look way shinier than it really is. Their lighting is designed to make jewels, beading, sparkles, details, etc really shimmer and glisten. I had a beaded prom dress that glistened like you wouldn't believe under the store's lighting and that's mostly why I bought it. But in photos, you really can't see much of the sparkle and in person it's not so sparkly. Don't get too stressed about it. Store lighting is always totally weird.
  • Options
    One of the reasons that most shops don't want you to take pictures of you in the dresses is that those photos are not always flattering or accurate.  Go back and try the dress again. You  will feel better, and probably remember why you lied it so much.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    It's a satin dress, so it's going to look shiny. If you order in Ivory, it will help some. And that lighting in there sucks.
  • Options
    Lighting in dress shops is designed to make the dress look amazing in person, but it's NOT even close to ideal lighting for pictures. Don't second guess yourself! You look gorgeous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can do returns if you buy online. I went into the store and tried on some dresses. Then made my decision online.
  • Options
    If the dress turns out to be really shiny, you could always look in to having it dyed ivory, which should reduce the reflection some.  I wouldn't worry about it though.  I'm sure your wedding venue will have much more subtle lighting.  Even in direct sunlight the dress won't be as shiny as it looks in the store.
  • Options
    sherakay said:
    You can do returns if you buy online. I went into the store and tried on some dresses. Then made my decision online.
    Did you actually receive it yet?  Was it a reputable USA service, or a Chinese site?

Pearl's Place does not accept returns unless they make a mistake in the order.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

sherakay said:

Did you actually receive it yet?  Was it a reputable USA service, or a Chinese site?

Pearl's Place does not accept returns unless they make a mistake in the order.

Pretty sure she was talking about David's bridal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards