Plus-Sized
Options

Which size to buy?! Between 14 & 16W

I need to purchase my wedding gown this week because it goes off sale on Sunday. I'm getting it through David's Bridal and I'm trying to figure out which is the best size to purchase, because I'm losing weight. (Already lost 11 lbs!) According to the size chart, I can fit a size 14 perfect... except for my bust. I'm 4 inches over. I can go up to a 16W, but I already know I'd need major alterations at my current size. My biggest concern is that I can't lose 4 inches in the bust and the lace work can't be fixed with alterations to expand. What should I do?!

Re: Which size to buy?! Between 14 & 16W

• Options
    Lace can't be fixed, so order the bigger size and have them adjust the bottom. 

I bought a David's Bridal dress that has this beautiful lace/pearl top and a simple bottom. I bought the dress a size too small because the top fit perfect but the bottom was a little small, so they're letting it out.
  • Options
    Always buy a size to fit your largest measurement. You can easily take in the other sections of the dress, but you won't be able to make it 4 inches bigger.
  • Options
    Buy the bigger size.  When I bought my dress, I too had lost 10+lbs; while waiting for it to come in - I gained it all back + a few (wedding stress, work stress, family stress, etc) all took its toll on me and I was stress eating.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Always go bigger.  The wedding dress I bought was a sample that was 2-3 sizes larger than I actually needed.  It wasn't a big deal to have it taken in.  It also gave me some peace of mind knowing that if my weight fluctuated between purchasing and alterations (8 months), I had wiggle room.
  • Options
    Go bigger, you can always alter the other areas to make them fit the rest of your body, but you can't let out that much. Your chest area is one of the hardest areas to lose weight & don't count on it. When I lost weight everywhere but my girls. My chest itself shrunk but the girls stayed their original size and believe it or not I ended up having to go down in measurement but up in cup size after losing 30 pounds.
  • Options
    Speaking from experience, I ordered a 16 when I was a size 20, wedding is 8 weeks away and i am not quite into my dress about 2 inches away, so now i am running into the issue of finding a solution for the area it doesn't fit. Its easier to take a dress in then out :)
  • Options
    Definitely get the 16.
  • Options
    ALWAYS get the one that fits your largest measurement. It is much easier (and cheaper and better looking) to take in a bit of fabric then to add inches onto a dress.
  • Options
    I wear a size 20 and my wedding dress is a size 28! :sob:: Always try on and if you can't order up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards