Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Smith Barn expensive?

I was looking at the smith barn in Peabody and wanted to know if anyone else has been married there/ is it possible to have a wedding there for under $15,000? it seems like it may be expensive but it's so pretty! any info you can give please! We are planning on having around 125 guests

Re: Smith Barn expensive?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that it's not the cheapest but in line with other nice rustic barns for weddings. I think it all depends on the day, Friday/Sunday may be cheaper, your meal choice and bar options- full open as opposed to cash.

The best thing you can do is to go and visit the venue and ask for a detailed break down of costs.
  • Options
    cdbishopcdbishop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember calling them when I was looking for a venue (they would not send me prices in email).  I do remember that their site fee alone was around $4000 I believe.  I think they give you a couple choices for caterers, but it is not completely open to whoever you want.  The least expensive barn type place that I found was the Salem Cross Inn.  It is further from the city, out by Worcester, but if you don't mind that I would take a look.  We ended up picking a barn reception site down in CT. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Smith Barn next year and compared to all the barns in the Mass it probably is around the cheapest.  If 15,000 is for food and venue rental then you can do a lot with that.  Friday nights are cheaper, but with traffic, it was worth it to do it on Saturday.  The caterers they have are very reasonable, we looked at Cloverleaf and Creative Catering because they were the only two that offered tastings and I wasn't going to book a caterer with out trying their food.  We ended up going with Creative Catering, they were just better all around.  They are a full service catering company, so linens and china are included along with waitstaff, we priced out a filet and swordfish, with pass hors d'oevres, cheese display and sundae bar and it was around 10,000 for 120 people, which isn't bad at all especially with filet and swordfish being pricey.  We have played around with our entrees options and right now we are around 7500, for 120ppl.  They are very helpful and will work with your budget.  The barn does the bar, so you can either do open or cash and they provide all the tables and chairs.  I am very excited for our wedding as it is a beautiful location.  If you have any other questions please let me know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a variety of farm tables, benches and chairs that would be perfect for Smtih Barn! Absolutely reach out to us at New England Country Rentals www.NewEnglandCountryRentals.com for any rental needs!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does Smith barn allow for Glatt Kosher caterers like Catering by Andrew in Brookline? I'm going to call and talk to them about my August 2012 wedding.
  • Options
    Also, does anyone know if the barn is somewhat cool/ can have fans brought in? For a summer wedding I am worried it will be terribly hot. And what about bathrooms? Do you need to rent portabl eones?
    "I finally realized that I didn't want to live in world that you weren't a part of. And that was hard to admit to myself, and not just because it ends in a preposition." Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hey guys! I've been recently engaged and been looking at places like this. is it ridiculously expensive including the catering? I was hoping renting the venue and the catering wouldn't surpass 10,000 :/
  • Options
    @cali978 I looked into the Smith Barn when I first got engaged. I can't remember the exact fee but I think it was around $3700 to have your ceremony and reception on a Friday or Sunday and around $4200 for a Saturday. The cheapest caterer (they have a list of only a few that they work with and will allow) was Cloverleaf and I believe I got an estimate for about $55/person. So it will really depend on how many guests you have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards