Wedding 911

Planning reception and going away party...in 2 MONTHS!!! Suggestion encouraged!

My fiance' and I were originally planning on getting married at the end of this year and planning a quick wedding (not pregnant or anything).  We just don't want a year long engagement.  But now, he was promoted to a job in San Diego, and we live in OHIO, and will be moving in October.  I think we are just going to get married in front of close family and friends then have a big reception/going away party at a rented room in a restaurant.  Then take wedding pictures on the beach in San Diego.

Does this seem like a good idea?  Bad idea?  Any other suggestions?  I think we can keep the cost of this reception/going away party under $3000.

Re: Planning reception and going away party...in 2 MONTHS!!! Suggestion encouraged!

• I think this is fine, everyone loves a party! I am assuming you mean a small ceremony and then this party on a separate day. Remember this isn't a wedding reception (that happens immediately after you are married as a thank you to the people that witnessed your ceremony). You need to host something for your friends/family who are coming to your ceremony, even if it is just cake and punch at a non-meal time. 

Don't turn this party into a "wedding reception", you will be a wife, not a bride at this point. So nothing wedding-y. No big white wedding gown, no first dance, no gifts etc. This is just a party. 

Good luck. 
  • My fiance' and I were originally planning on getting married at the end of this year and planning a quick wedding (not pregnant or anything).  We just don't want a year long engagement.  But now, he was promoted to a job in San Diego, and we live in OHIO, and will be moving in October.  I think we are just going to get married in front of close family and friends then have a big reception/going away party at a rented room in a restaurant.  Then take wedding pictures on the beach in San Diego.

Does this seem like a good idea?  Bad idea?  Any other suggestions?  I think we can keep the cost of this reception/going away party under $3000.
    The only thing I think sounds odd is taking wedding pictures in San Diego - are you planning on dressing back up? That just seems odd to me since it wont be your wedding day, but that's just me. You're not hurting anyone, so go for it.

What does the $3000 include? Attire, rings, decorations, and food, officiant fee, ceremony location? It's probably very doable as long as your guest list isn't huge.

A restaurant reception/party sounds great. Couple things though. Is it going to be immediately after your ceremony? If so, that's your reception so have a ball. But if not everyone is invited to the ceremony, the ceremony needs to truly be a private affair - basically only your wedding party and immediate family. Inviting 60 people to your ceremony and 160 to your reception is a good way to offend people, you know what I mean? You're publicly ranking your friends then.  

If it's not immediately after your wedding, it's just a wedding celebration. So try to leave most of the wedding stuff behind (no tosses, wedding party, etc.).

• I would take your pictures at your ceremony.  My own wedding was planned in two months.  It was a small church wedding with cake and punch reception.  Other than having to find a dress off the rack, I had no issues.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards