Attire & Accessories Forum

Ivory Dress - What Color Shirt should Groom and Groomsmen wear

My dress is ivory and my FH and his Groomsmen are wearing black suits.  Should they wear ivory shirts to match my dress?  Or just regular white.  I was going to get the Groomsmen ties that match the Bridesmaid dress color and an ivory tie for my FH.
Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Re: Ivory Dress - What Color Shirt should Groom and Groomsmen wear

• My dress is ivory and my FH and his Groomsmen are wearing black suits.  Should they wear ivory shirts to match my dress?  Or just regular white.  I was going to get the Groomsmen ties that match the Bridesmaid dress color and an ivory tie for my FH.
    Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
    Thanks!
  • Well if you are getting an ivory tie...I would think an ivory shirt as well.
  • White.  You can barely see their shirts anyway, and the only way you would be able to tell the difference is if the two articles of clothing are directly next to each other, which they pretty much never will be.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters because you can't tell in pics, but I personally had DH in ivory to match me.  But I'm OCD like that...
    Photobucket

Anniversary

• When we went in to get tux measurements for the groom they asked what color my dress was.  They said in pictures if he has a white shirt and I have an ivory dress then I might look dirty in comparison.  Go with ivory.  Chances are your groom will get hot during the reception and might take his jacket off to cool down.  If you get candid shots during that time then the color difference might be pretty stark.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ivory-dress-color-shirt-should-groom-groomsmen-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:253074d2-0223-4d52-a14c-291964ffde6cPost:2e14060e-262c-4af8-9bb7-400cdb34c4c7">Re: Ivory Dress - What Color Shirt should Groom and Groomsmen wear</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ivory Dress - What Color Shirt should Groom and Groomsmen wear : Your dress won't look dirty, it will look ivory.  Orange isn't a dirty yellow, it's a different color.  Same principle.  We actually had the GM in white tuxes, and while you can clearly tell that we're wearing two different colors, my dress doesn't look dirty and it doesn't clash.  And ivory dress shirts tend to be much darker than ivory gowns; the chances of being able to match the two shades exactly are extremely remote.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

Ditto this, you cant tell.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • White, you'll never know the difference and ivory shirts will look funny in pictures
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ivory-dress-color-shirt-should-groom-groomsmen-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:253074d2-0223-4d52-a14c-291964ffde6cPost:7ed8447f-6331-40c6-84ca-a62769fcc723">Re: Ivory Dress - What Color Shirt should Groom and Groomsmen wear</a>:
    [QUOTE]When we went in to get tux measurements for the groom they asked what color my dress was.  They said in pictures if he has a white shirt and I have an ivory dress then I might look dirty in comparison.  Go with ivory.  Chances are your groom will get hot during the reception and might take his jacket off to cool down.  If you get candid shots during that time then the color difference might be pretty stark.
    Posted by bdriley[/QUOTE]

This is so untrue and just ridiculous really. A dress won't look dirty - it will look ivory. Most ivory dresses look white anyway.
    I like white shirts because the odds of getting the two shades of ivory to match is slim to none anyway (in which case one would look dirty if you go by the above argument), so why not go for clean white shirts.
    imageimageimage
  • I'm in the process of making the same decision about what color the groom and groomsmen should wear because my dress is ivory as well. This is what I found on the Formally Modern Tuxedo website under the "Do's and Don't's" section:

"If the bride’s dress is ivory, do the guys wear ivory shirts?

Absolutely not. We don’t even sell retail ivory shirts. Why? Well, we’ll let you in on a little trade secret – ivory shirts don’t exist outside the rental industry. That’s because you will never get an ivory dye to match – which means that instead of your groomsmen having matching shirts, they will have five different shades of ivory."

Personally, I'm having the groom wear a white shirt with ivory vest and tie, while the groomsmen are wearing white shirts with silver vests and ties. That was the suggestion of our tux shop, for what it's worth :)

Good luck in your decision!
  • This is in response to the little comment about trying to be smarter...I had to laugh when I read it, but it strikes a nerve. Any person of any intelligence level can be nicer, but they can't necessarily be smarter by trying. : )
  • bgaug said:
    This is in response to the little comment about trying to be smarter...I had to laugh when I read it, but it strikes a nerve. Any person of any intelligence level can be nicer, but they can't necessarily be smarter by trying. : )
    You resurrected a zombie thread from almost 4 years ago for this?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards