Honeymoon Discussions
Options

We are going to Rome! Any advice?

MsNise812MsNise812 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
edited August 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions

Guys,

I am beyond excited and cannot wait until October to go on our honeymoon. We are staying at a hotel right outside of St. Peter's Square (!!!) and have everything in place as far as tours, transportation, etc. This is the first time FI and I will be traveling across the ocean and I have been researching everything that we may need to know. However, there is SO much information out there that it is becoming a bit overwhelming so I figured I would ask here for any tips, advice, recommendations, etc . We want to be well prepared for the trip so any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: We are going to Rome! Any advice?

• Options
    Thoughts? Take me with you! LOL! Just kidding...kind of :) I am really of no help because I have never been to Rome nor traveled abroad anywhere. So I am just posting to tell you of my jealously of your trip to Rome.

• Options
    Are you Catholic? Are you going to try to have your marriage blessed by the Pope?
  • Options
    We just went to Rome in May! We really, really liked the Rick Steves guidebook. He includes walking tours of most sights, and they're really good. Also, we splashed out on a guided tour of the Vatican that began before it officially opened (LINK) and it was so, so worth it. I don't normally do guided tours when I travel, but the Vatican is so rich with information and the signage is so limited. Also also, buy your Colosseum tickets at the Forum ticket booth. There's one ticket to both sights, but the Forum line is shorter.

Have fun!
  • Options

@Maggie029...ok ok not so much "thoughts" but perhaps suggestions! Lol. It's our first "big" vacation together so I am super excited... @sarahbear31, no, but wouldn't that be epic? lol

@emmyg65, thanks for the info! We booked an all day tour of Rome and the major sites, but I think we will look into going back to the Vatican during one of our free days if we feel things are a bit rushed.  Thanks for the info!

• Options
    You really need to see the Vatican.  Seriously.  Spanish Steps - eh. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    1) If you are Catholic (or not, but want to do this) you can request ahead of time a "sitting" with the pope. He does little masses..or something like that (He wasn't diong it when we were there because he was out of the country). You go to vatican websie and they give directions on how to do it

2) Always bring a shawl with you everywhere you go if you plan on site seeing at any churches or the Vatican. Some churches (ESP the Vatican) won't let you in if shoulder are showing. Some have rules on knees showing as well. In general, just bring  a shawl so you don't get turned away (or have to buy one of the expensive ones from street vendors sell for that very reason..who wait at front of line because people naively don't know and wait 2 hours in line and then learn they can't get in). Also, look into tickets ahead of time for Vatican and museum. LINES ARE VERY VERY VERY long (or at least, they were when I went in summer)

3) Navoni Square is nice..I think that is the name.

4) Do a  "hop on hop off" pass. It gets you all around the city, and you won't have to worry about how to get around. You can stay on it whole time, or get on/off at your leisure to site see

5) Trevi Fountain is cool

6) I agree I liked Rick Steves book and the Fodor book.

Gave great insight. ENJOY

• Options

Yes, the Vatican is a must! We already have our tickets with the tour we booked and have the express pass. We also booked a tour to visit Pompeii.

@indianaalum...thanks for the information! I think we are going to look into Rick Steves' book as we have Youtubed his videos and he is pretty awesome.

• Options
    MsNise812 said:

Yes, the Vatican is a must! We already have our tickets with the tour we booked and have the express pass. We also booked a tour to visit Pompeii.

@indianaalum...thanks for the information! I think we are going to look into Rick Steves' book as we have Youtubed his videos and he is pretty awesome.

I loved Pompeii.  Heck, I loved all of Italy!  Very jealous, I'd love to go back again someday!
  • Options
    Another vote for Rick Steves! Rome is lovely- I had the best time when I went there a few years ago.

We hit all the standard hot spots and they didn't let us down.
  • Options

We also picked Rome for our honeymoon but will be going in September (delayed honeymoon due to military orders and starting a new job).  We got an air and hotel + breakfast package from Delta Vacations and are staying at the Hotel Eden near the Spanish Steps.  We already booked our Vatican museum tour directly with the Vatican (on a Monday since most other museums are closed on Mondays) as well as booking a guided tour for the Wednesday Papal audience that got rave reviews for getting good seats.  Husband is Catholic, I'm not but Pope Francis is pretty amazing.  We're planning to buy tickets for the Colosseum ahead online (good for any 2 day window once active) and will pre-reserve the Borghese gallery tickets as well.  Considering a guided tour of the crypts and catacombs.  We picked our hotel for being walking/short metro ride to most of the sites. We'll probably take the metro out to the colleseum then hoof it back past a lot of the sites if the weather is nice.  Plus we're close to the awesome shopping! 

I know the Trevi Fountain is unfortunately drained and wrapped in scaffolding for renovations as of July which is a bummer but even Rome has to do maintenance once in a while.

And I too like Rick Steves and Fodors.  I got them both for my Kindle and plan to get a paper copy of one or both to use there.  It has tips about buying tickets for just about any site online ahead of time as well as lots of neighborhood specific tips based on his walking tours in the book.  The tip on using bank ATMs to get Euros from your normal checking account once you get there (apparently cash is much preferred over credit pretty much everywhere but your hotel/airline) and saving on exchange fees was good to know.

I'll have to remember to update you when we get back with any tips or places we find!

• Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! @newborndoc2008, thanks for the information! I get more excited as the days get closer. We are looking into doing the catacombs and crypt tour as well. Thankfully we have two tours booked for the major sights and are looking at other things to explore while we are out there. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    Pompeii is amazing.  Wonderful day trip. 

Avoid Naples.  We decided to spend a few days there.  Worst decision ever 

Capri is a WONDERFUL relaxing day trip.  Lemon tree farms, cute shops, cafes, villas, just wonderful

Make sure you look up how the bus system works.  We did not do so and ended up with a ticket because we thought you bought bus passes on the bus and we were wrong.

Buy lots of gelato.  seriously, LOTS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards