Chit Chat

First world problems

Re: First world problems

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    lulu411 said:
    I have another!! I'm a therapist who sees kids at school so this week I'm getting copies of their schedules to make sure I'm not pulling them out of important (core) classes. The city schools here make their kids change classes EVERY day. Example: You have certain classes on 'Blue' days and other classes on 'White' days. Okay, you'd think that would be simple because I'll just avoid the blue days when they're taking math. But no, this changes every week. Blue/white days alternate every day and into the following week all school year long. So while this week is M-Blue, T-White, W-Blue, TH-White, F-Blue, NEXT week will be M-White, T-Blue, so on and so on. So I really have no idea what class my kids are gonna be in on any given day. So. Annoying.
    We had a  6 day schedule.   A-F days.   So the first day of school was A.  Then you just went down the list until you got to F, then it went back to A day.   You get use to it.   The only issue was snow days as it didn't matter how many days your were off the day was always the next one after the last one you had.    So the first semester you could pretty much map out months out when each day would fall.  Winter time it got all messed up.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lulu411 said:
    I have another!! I'm a therapist who sees kids at school so this week I'm getting copies of their schedules to make sure I'm not pulling them out of important (core) classes. The city schools here make their kids change classes EVERY day. Example: You have certain classes on 'Blue' days and other classes on 'White' days. Okay, you'd think that would be simple because I'll just avoid the blue days when they're taking math. But no, this changes every week. Blue/white days alternate every day and into the following week all school year long. So while this week is M-Blue, T-White, W-Blue, TH-White, F-Blue, NEXT week will be M-White, T-Blue, so on and so on. So I really have no idea what class my kids are gonna be in on any given day. 

Also, for some unknown reason their classes have different starting and ending times on Fridays than every other day of the week. 

And they wonder why kids can't pass tests. Maybe because their class schedule is a damn daily mystery puzzle?
    My old highschool had the same exact set up. It was a nightmare to remember if I had the correct binders or not.
  • I'm glad I live in Jersey. I had to get gas last night in the rain. A very nice high school kid pumped my gas and swiped my credit card in the machine. I can count on one hand the number of times I had to pump my own gas.

My first world problem - there were too many cakes to choose from at the supermarket. We're celebrating August birthdays at work and I stared at the dessert case for a solid 5 minutes before I picked something out to bring back to the office.
    My best friend is in NJ. She refuses to get a car when she visits me because she's scared of pumping her own gas. It's kind of hysterical.
    Years ago, I was at a gas station in NY (not to get gas). A dude from Jersey (I saw his license plate) stopped me and asked me how to operate the pump. He had no idea how to use it. And this guy was easily in his 40s. I mean, really? In your whole entire driving life, did you really not ever have to pump gas outside of Jersey? 
  • I'm glad I live in Jersey. I had to get gas last night in the rain. A very nice high school kid pumped my gas and swiped my credit card in the machine. I can count on one hand the number of times I had to pump my own gas.

My first world problem - there were too many cakes to choose from at the supermarket. We're celebrating August birthdays at work and I stared at the dessert case for a solid 5 minutes before I picked something out to bring back to the office.
    My best friend is in NJ. She refuses to get a car when she visits me because she's scared of pumping her own gas. It's kind of hysterical.
    Years ago, I was at a gas station in NY (not to get gas). A dude from Jersey (I saw his license plate) stopped me and asked me how to operate the pump. He had no idea how to use it. And this guy was easily in his 40s. I mean, really? In your whole entire driving life, did you really not ever have to pump gas outside of Jersey? 
    I didn't pump my own gas for the first time until I was almost 30. I had driven outside of the state before, but not much. When I went on vacations, I didn't rent cars (the fees were too high for under 25s). The furthest away I ever drove to for a trip was Philly. My family was too poor to take trips when I was a kid. So yea, I was like 27 or 28 the first time I pumped my own gas.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I was randomly perusing houses on realtor.com because I'm apparently a masochist since FI is adamant he doesn't want to look at houses til next spring... and found a great house in an awesome neighborhood with 10-rated schools and a huge yard with lots of trees... sent it to FI anyway expecting "that's nice baby, hopefully we can find one like that next year" but INSTEAD he said "wow, with that price I feel like we should actually look at it." WHAT?! He asked how far away it is, told him how far from where we are now (27 minutes) and how far from his mom (since ideally she'll be babysitting once we have lil lolos; 28 minutes)... and now he's not replying anymore and I'm going crazy having to wait a WHOLE 3 HOURS to see if he was serious. 

Another gas pumping story - one of my friends in college lived in Jersey and had never pumped gas before in her life. When she went home with my roommate for Easter weekend (we're both NYers), she pumped gas for the first time and was SO EXCITED about it. It was heavily documented with pictures and one of the highlights of the weekend. I, on the other hand, would love to never pump gas again.

Another gas pumping story - one of my friends in college lived in Jersey and had never pumped gas before in her life. When she went home with my roommate for Easter weekend (we're both NYers), she pumped gas for the first time and was SO EXCITED about it. It was heavily documented with pictures and one of the highlights of the weekend. I, on the other hand, would love to never pump gas again.
    That's funny - we did the exact opposite. I remember as a kid my mom would drive to the only full service gas station left - about 20 minutes away. A few years ago when we were on a road trip, we stopped at an old gas station with a full service option. We stopped there and I was stoked to have someone pump my gas for me. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Having lived in NJ almost my entire life, I can't imagine having to pump my own gas. Our gas taxes are fairly low, so our gas prices are pretty close to the national average, if not a bit lower. I remember DH and I were in the Poconos once and I had about a quarter tank of gas left. We were going to stop for gas, but when we saw prices were about 50 cents higher than where we lived AND we had to pump it ourselves, it made much more sense to drive the 30 miles back home at the end of the trip and fill up then.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I was randomly perusing houses on realtor.com because I'm apparently a masochist since FI is adamant he doesn't want to look at houses til next spring... and found a great house in an awesome neighborhood with 10-rated schools and a huge yard with lots of trees... sent it to FI anyway expecting "that's nice baby, hopefully we can find one like that next year" but INSTEAD he said "wow, with that price I feel like we should actually look at it." WHAT?! He asked how far away it is, told him how far from where we are now (27 minutes) and how far from his mom (since ideally she'll be babysitting once we have lil lolos; 28 minutes)... and now he's not replying anymore and I'm going crazy having to wait a WHOLE 3 HOURS to see if he was serious. 
    how exciting.

We decided to wait until the winter to start looking again.   Our lease is up in March anyway.  No need to break the lease and lose a $2k deposit.   Plus 2 years ago in Oct DH lost his job.  There was only 2.5 months of no work. Add in a lower salary at the last job, a bigger one now.  We figured it will look better overall to the underwriters when looking at our tax files and employment history.   

Plus it gives us more time to save more DP as it's so expensive here we have to up our budget a bit.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I wish I was back in NJ so I wouldn't have to get out and pump my own gas with a hospital mask on!

When I bought my first car at the age of 25 DH had to show me how to put gas in it. All the gas stations in my hometown were full service so I had never pumped gas before.

Anniversary
  • Get whatever massage service involves chocolate.

I'm trying to eat SUPER well to get myself back on track so I fit into this damn dress, but there's a happy hour at work today with free beer and pizza. Damn my luck.
    this doesn't count.  This is a real problem. 
    It got worse. Went to collect my free pizza and beer and instead of the usual Miller Light, they splurged for local craft beer... and it was all icky IPAs. Come on people, would it kill ya to throw some Belgian wheat in the mix?! The struggle is real, ya'll. At least they had deep dish Hawaiian.

Thankfully, my new Old Navy compression pants should be waiting on my front porch, ready for the gym tonight.

I'm trying to eat SUPER well to get myself back on track so I fit into this damn dress, but there's a happy hour at work today with free beer and pizza. Damn my luck.
    It got worse. Went to collect my free pizza and beer and instead of the usual Miller Light, they splurged for local craft beer... and it was all icky IPAs. Come on people, would it kill ya to throw some Belgian wheat in the mix?! The struggle is real, ya'll. At least they had deep dish Hawaiian.

Thankfully, my new Old Navy compression pants should be waiting on my front porch, ready for the gym tonight.
    I'll drink your IPAs! and let you eat any and all Hawaiian pizza I ever come across in my life.
  • FI and I have to run to the grocery store on a weeknight (ugh).....because we need a few things for the beach this weekend. First world problem fo' sho!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Brother in law and his girlfriend and MIL are arriving tomorrow for a visit. We want to bring everyone to the Kite Festival and Acadian Day activities.

Our vehicle WILL seat seven, but the rear seats are a little small and silly. It will be tight.

Yuck. If I can read the newspaper through it, I don't want to drink it.
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    Get whatever massage service involves chocolate.

@Inkdancer I don't think I realized we're date twins! Did I know that? Am I just really dense? 

Yay for date twins!

I work in a town in NY that borders NJ. I only get gas in Jersey. It's so nice to not have to get out of the car. 
    That and the 40-50 cent difference!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Inkdancer said:
    Get whatever massage service involves chocolate.

@Inkdancer I don't think I realized we're date twins! Did I know that? Am I just really dense? 

Yay for date twins!
    I couldn't ask for a better twinsie! <3
    eyeroll
  • I have to workout tonight which means I cant get away with dry shampoo in the morning, I have to shampoo and condition and put in product and style my hair so I dont have a frizzy mop for work tomorrow. (Damn irish curls).

DH has made me dinner every night this week so now I feel obligated to cook for him all weekend.

Cats requesting my attention when I just want to knot right now
  • My stove sucks so to get bacon I get occasionally splattered with grease.

Also, I despise getting gas in Jersey. I hate having someone else touch my car, and generally avoid it. I have relatives there and once when we got gas there in between taking our card to scan it and giving it back our attendant left to do a drug deal. I was 12 and my brother was 6. Not fun.

I will admit you've got better prices than PA.
  • My stove sucks so to get bacon I get occasionally splattered with grease.

Also, I despise getting gas in Jersey. I hate having someone else touch my car, and generally avoid it. I have relatives there and once when we got gas there in between taking our card to scan it and giving it back our attendant left to do a drug deal. I was 12 and my brother was 6. Not fun.

I will admit you've got better prices than PA.
    I live in a small town, and I know all the kids who work at the gas station here. They're all local high school and college kids who are really nice and very respectful. DH has had several very distinct vehicles over the last few years, and they have all been genuinely fascinated by them and have asked him questions about them. Unless they have lines at the pump, they clean my windows for me too. Since DH and I always write down our mileage and how many gallons we purchase to track our gas mileage, the folks at the station are really cool about reading us the information off the pump when we're done.

I know not all gas stations in all areas are like that, but I'm more than happy to get gas at our local station because I can see how seriously these folks take customer service and car maintenance. Plus, it's great to see young people building a good work ethic!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• our $50K in backyard renos might not be ready in time for our $5K wedding...
  • Dominos pizza tracker isn't working.
    eyeroll
  • Ooh ooh another one! Am Ex screwed up my address for my billing statement. They forgot to put my apt number on the address and it was returned to them as non deliverable. ( yes I still use paper statements. Dh laughs at me but given the latest russian hacking....I win). I had to call them and get it unscrewed but since its a screw up on their end, I get an extra 25 day grace period without late fees.

Ive only had the card for a year and 8 months with every other bill properly addressed so this is highly annoying as a FWP.

• DH has made me dinner every night this week so now I feel obligated to cook for him this weekend
    Update- dh made me tacos. I dd my workout. Now I feel like puking tacos.
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    SORRY IT'S REFUSING PARAGRAPHS Is it still illegal to pump your own gas in NJ? That is just the weirdest thing ever. I've done my own since I was 16 and it sucks in the winter when it's 5 degrees and wind is fucking you in the face and hands. I also do the furniture/ graph/ measurement combo! My FWP- I was told to be ready at 8:30am on Saturday for my bachelorette party. Yay but WTF, after this crazy week at work, I want sleep! And I'm not supposed to know we're going to the ocean but I have severe anxiety because I always bring my umbrella and cooler of food to the beach. So I'm worried no one will bring my appropriate goods and I'll be parched...waaah

• I had to get up early to get educated today.  I also have a tetanus shot scheduled next week which I know if going to make my arm hurt.  :(
    My cousin had a tetanus shot at the start of the year because a huge coconut fell on her foot and it was bleeding. Her arm did hurt for a while after and she got fever etc due to her body's reaction the the alien substance in her body :(
    I get them every 10 years like a good little patient, so I know it won't bother me, by it's intramuscular, so it'll hurt.  But I suppose it worth not dying of tetanus, which apparently is a pretty sucky way to go

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards