Plus-Sized
Options

flattering bridesmaids dresses

edited August 2014 in Plus-Sized
I live far away from my bridesmaids, and it looks like we wont have an opportunity to go shopping together for bridesmaids dresses before the wedding. I don't really mind because I'm fine with them wearing whatever they feel comfortable in - just so long as they go with the same color and length.

For one bridesmaid that's no problem - I gave her a couple guidelines and she likes shopping so I trust her to find something that will work. My other bridesmaid has recently gained weight and I can tell she just doesn't feel comfortable going to try on dresses.  I want her to have a bridesmaids dress that makes her feel beautiful, but I frankly don't know what style would look great on her - I haven't seen her since her weight gain and she doesn't like to take pictures of herself.

I suspect that if I can find a style that would look great on her and send her pictures of it she might become more interested in looking for a dress.  Unfortunately, I think so far I've discouraged her because the styles I gravitate to match my body shape, and she needs styles for her body shape.  

I'm hoping I could get some suggestions of cuts and styles that would be flattering for her, so I'm not discouraging her by sending pictures of dresses that won't work for her.  I don't want to pressure her, but the wedding is approaching and the longer she waits, the fewer options she'll have since she won't be able to order a dress.  

She has an apple body shape, smaller legs and bust, with larger midsection.  Pretty much my only requirements for the dress are that it be casual and royal blue. I think knee length would look great on her.

Any suggestions of styles to look at would be great! thanks! :)

Re: flattering bridesmaids dresses

• Options
    I live far away from my bridesmaids, and it looks like we wont have an opportunity to go shopping together for bridesmaids dresses before the wedding. I don't really mind because I'm fine with them wearing whatever they feel comfortable in - just so long as they go with the same color and length.

For one bridesmaid that's no problem - I gave her a couple guidelines and she likes shopping so I trust her to find something that will work. My other bridesmaid has recently gained weight and I can tell she just doesn't feel comfortable going to try on dresses.  I want her to have a bridesmaids dress that makes her feel beautiful, but I frankly don't know what style would look great on her - I haven't seen her since her weight gain and she doesn't like to take pictures of herself.

I suspect that if I can find a style that would look great on her and send her pictures of it she might become more interested in looking for a dress.  Unfortunately, I think so far I've discouraged her because the styles I gravitate to match my body shape, and she needs styles for her body shape.  

I'm hoping I could get some suggestions of cuts and styles that would be flattering for her, so I'm not discouraging her by sending pictures of dresses that won't work for her.  I don't want to pressure her, but the wedding is approaching and the longer she waits, the fewer options she'll have since she won't be able to order a dress.  

She has an apple body shape, smaller legs and bust, with larger midsection.  Pretty much my only requirements for the dress are that it be casual and royal blue. I think knee length would look great on her.

Any suggestions of styles to look at would be great! thanks! :)
    Why not let each BM pick a dress that flatters them.  The BMs don't need to match.  If you are giving them the color and general style, let them pick a dress that suits their body type.
  • Options
    That's the plan - I guess I didn't state that clearly enough - I want each girl to have whatever dress they love.  They will not match, that's been the plan since day 1.  My one bridesmaid just isn't putting much effort into finding hers because she doesn't like shopping for clothing for herself. I don't want to pressure her, but I don't want her to wait too long and have to get something she doesn't like

I sent both girls a few pictures to go off of for dress ideas, and realized afterwards that the dresses I picked are all for my body type, because that's what I look for.  I think my friend saw those and got discouraged, so I want to send her some more dresses for ideas that may be a better fit for her. 
  • Options
    That's the plan - I guess I didn't state that clearly enough - I want each girl to have whatever dress they love.  They will not match, that's been the plan since day 1.  My one bridesmaid just isn't putting much effort into finding hers because she doesn't like shopping for clothing for herself. I don't want to pressure her, but I don't want her to wait too long and have to get something she doesn't like

I sent both girls a few pictures to go off of for dress ideas, and realized afterwards that the dresses I picked are all for my body type, because that's what I look for.  I think my friend saw those and got discouraged, so I want to send her some more dresses for ideas that may be a better fit for her. 

Ahhh, sorry. I misunderstood.  have you looked at ModCloth?  they have a lot of plus size dresses that fall into the casual range.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/champagne-at-midnight-dress-in-navy

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/with-only-a-wink-dress-in-navy

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/professionally-posh-dress-in-navy

• Options
    Are you looking at certain designers for fabric/color (such as David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo)?  I mention both DB and AA because I know their shipping times tend to be a little quicker than other designers.  How many months away are you from your wedding?

It's hard to guess what dresses might look good on her without knowing her body shape.

For me - this style dress is one I tend to gravitate to:  straps are thick enough I can wear a 'real' bra, waist comes in below the breasts, flows out from waist, because I'm short, I tend to prefer knee-length dresses because I feel like I'm lost in full length:
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sleeveless-Jersey-Dress-with-Charmeuse-Waist-Band-E44239_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Short-Bridesmaid-Dresses

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards