Just Engaged and Proposals

Just engaged and completely overwhelmed!

I'm two days in! Completely surprised! 

I have been going on Pinterest and such for pretty much our entire relationship, so I felt like I had a good handle on things, but now that the actual wedding planning is starting (I still can't believe it), I feel so boggled! Any suggestions where to start on planning? 

We already have a date picked (Aug. 2015). 
We have decided on our wedding party, just need to ask them. 
My dad is making my wedding dress, so I feel like that should be one of the first things I dive into...

Thank you!!!

Re: Just engaged and completely overwhelmed!

• I'm two days in! Completely surprised! 

I have been going on Pinterest and such for pretty much our entire relationship, so I felt like I had a good handle on things, but now that the actual wedding planning is starting (I still can't believe it), I feel so boggled! Any suggestions where to start on planning? 

We already have a date picked (Aug. 2015). 
    We have decided on our wedding party, just need to ask them. 
    My dad is making my wedding dress, so I feel like that should be one of the first things I dive into...

Thank you!!!

To me, the first three are budget, venue, and guest list. Once you have those nailed down, start adding things like officiant, menu, dress, etc.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    It is too early to ask your wedding party!  Do not do this until about 9 months from your wedding!

How to plan your wedding:

1.  Budget.  How much money do you have to spend on your wedding?  Until you know this for certain, do not plan a thing!

2.  Guest list.  How many people do you want to invite to your wedding?  Include groom's family and friends.

3.  Wedding time of day.  Afternoon weddings are cheapest, with cake and punch receptions.  Morning ceremonies are also budget friendly, and brunch receptions cost about half of dinner receptions.  Evening weddings are the MOST expensive.  If your budget is a problem, don't choose this time.

4.  NOW you can look at venues, churches etc.  If you are Catholic, it is absolutely critical to talk to your priest ASAP!  Catholics do not usually have evening weddings.  Schedule the ceremony FIRST.  Do not consider ANY reception venue that does not meets #1 - 3, no matter how romantic it seems.  You will regret it!

Do not do any more planning until you have done steps #1 through #4. 

Everything else is fluff that you can do anytime during the next year.  Relax.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Actually, @cmgragain, I have been to an evening Catholic wedding. And the church where we were married offered 7:30 pm as a possible time. I do agree with the advice of choosing your ceremony venue before you reserve a reception venue. OP, I encourage you to step away from Pinterest. It has a lot of ideas that aren't the most budget friendly. And (as you have learned), it is often sensory overload.
  • I agree -- wait to pick your wedding party. I don't know that you have to wait until a certain period of time prior to the ceremony, but wait at least enough time to see reactions. Women who jump quickly into making this decision frequently regret it. Sometimes that awesome, fun, friend becomes jealous or unavailable when you get engaged. It's sad to say, but it happens. 
  • I also say to wait to pick your wedding party. It's too early! 

Set your budget, figure out your guest list and then pick your venue. 
  • Congrats! I too just got engaged a week ago and am COMPLETELY overwhelmed. We chose our date to be April 2015 (am I crazy?!), so I need to get a jump on things.

I am tackling the venue first since my ceremony and reception will be at the same location. I have already put together a tentative guest list so I can have some sort of idea on how many people will be attending in order to pick a venue.

After that, I'll probably start with the dress. My friend works as a bridal consultant at a bridal boutique and the first thing she told me when I told her the date I had in mind: get your butt to a store because some dressed can take 5 months! So she scared me a bit!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards