Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette for bridal party makeup

Hi all, I'm in the process of booking hair and makeup for the wedding and just wanted to clear something with everyone etiquette wise. I will be having 5 bridesmaids and will be paying for everyone to get their hair and makeup done. I will also be paying for my mom and FMIL to get their hair and makeup done as well. The package for the bride includes airbrush application but the price for the bridesmaids and moms do not. It's an extra $25 per person for airbrush. Is it rude if I am the only one getting airbrush makeup? Although we can afford the extra cost, we don't want to spend the extra money if possible.

Re: Etiquette for bridal party makeup

• Options
    Personally I think that is fine!  I think to some degree everyone expects the bride to primp more than anyone else... you could maybe offer your maids the option of upgrading if they want to take on the cost themselves?  Just so it isn't like they didn't know it was an option and they wished they had been able to take advantage of it but it's too late now... but in general I think this is just fine!  
  • Options
    I think that is fine. You aren't required to pay for them in the first place, so I think it is acceptable
  • Options
    I agree with above, you could always offer it to your BMs as an upgrade if they would like it. I had false eyelashes put on. That was an extra $10. I did not pay for the girls to have theirs put on, but two decided they wanted them and paid the extra $10 themselves.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    As a BM, I'd be okay with you letting me know that you're covering the makeup and there is an option to pay $25 for airbrush if I choose. It's really nice of you to cover the hair and makeup, so I'd see that as a bargain.

P.S. I loved my airbrushed makeup. It felt so light, and it stayed put all day and night. I actually didn't have to reapply anything the next morning. I just put on some lipstick and went to brunch. :)
  • Options
    No, I don't think it's rude. You could email them and say something like, "hey everyone, hair and make up are on me, so if you'd like to get those things done, let me know so I can book your appointment. If you want to upgrade to airbrush make-up, you can but it's an extra $25. I can't afford to cover that upgrade for everyone, but if you want to upgrade yourself, just let me know so I can tell the salon when I book your appointments."
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I spoke with my makeup artist and she said I could let her know the day of which bridesmaids want airbrush so I will probably ask my bridesmaids later what they prefer. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being rude to anyone.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    I think that is completely fine!  I think it is very generous of you to pay for your bridesmaids to get their hair and makeup done in the first place so the fact that you are getting airbrushed and they are not is not a big deal at all.  You're the bride!  Of course you want to look extra special!
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    ilhp187 said:
    I think that is completely fine!  I think it is very generous of you to pay for your bridesmaids to get their hair and makeup done in the first place so the fact that you are getting airbrushed and they are not is not a big deal at all.  You're the bride!  Of course you want to look extra special!
    This makes me roll my eyes a little. I don't think OP is doing this because she wants to be more special than anyone else. 

OP, it's very generous of you to be covering this expense for your ladies. I like the idea of offering the option to upgrade where they can cover the additional expense if they'd like. Or, since you said it isn't a financial concern, you can ask if anyone wants airbrush and pay for it and book it for them instead of assuming they would want it.

I, for one, hate how it looks on me. I would pay more to NOT have airbrush makeup.
  • Options
    You are very generous to pay for makeup for so many women that are close to you. I would never be offended to have less done to me as a BM than the bride. It is expected that the bride will be the center of attention and I would as a BM be pleased to be included in the process and gifted with the basic makeup package at all. I do not think it's necessary to spend the extra money. 
  • Options
    I'm paying for my bms hair and makeup and only I'm doing airbrush. Honestly it didn't even occur to me as an issue.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm paying for my bms hair and makeup and only I'm doing airbrush. Honestly it didn't even occur to me as an issue.
    I did airbrush during my wedding makeup trial and it looked horrible on me. I have very fine "fur" all over my face (lol - I have a hairy face I guess is what I'm trying to say) and the makeup being sprayed on stuck to every little fur and fiber and made them really noticeable. Whereas I never even noticed it ever in my life with traditional makeup. So we re-did the trial with traditional makeup and all was well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards