Outdoor Weddings

Dream Ceremony Location - Not so Dreamy for Grandma

The ceremony location for our wedding will be at a family owned cabin on a river. The problem I'm running into is that in order to get down to the river where I want the ceremony to take place, you have to walk down about 10 large steps or scoot down a relatively steep hill. The grandma's in our family can walk, but they have problems walking up and down steps because of knee issues. What are some creative ways we can get them down to the ceremony without them feeling obligated to take the stairs and risk a fall?

Re: Dream Ceremony Location - Not so Dreamy for Grandma

• Could they do it if they had 2 strong men (like your father/ brother/ cousins) on each side holding them? Or could you ask around friends/ family if anyone has a wheelchair from a past broken leg laying around? Would they be embarrassed if they had to be wheeled down?

We looked at 2 beautiful locations but ended up chosing the one that didn't have two sets of stairs for that exact reason.

• It sounds like you're trying to have them as part of the processional. If they have mobility problems and there's a steep hill/stairs, I would transport them down there early and only have parents as part of the processional. Hurrying/Feeling pressured to move quickly can be stressful and embarrassing for people with mobility issues.

You could have strong family members help them down the steps, or you could build a ramp so they could use a wheelchair.

If you want them to feel involved, but the processional isn't feasible, give them a corsage/boutonniere, reserve seats for them in the first row at the ceremony, seat them near your table at the reception, make sure they're in photos, etc. 
    *********************************************************************************

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You could rent a gold cart of something and have people drive some of the guests gown the hill, I guess.
  • Great advice! Thank you. I never thought of the ramp idea! The hill is only like 8 feet and not super steep, it could definitely be made into a ramp.
  • I forgot all about older relatives. I will have to make sure my wedding venue will be accessible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards