Wedding Invitations & Paper

Internet hugs to the person who can tell me how to address this invite.

Two married couples living under the same roof in which both men have the same first AND last name. Properly, they'd both be addressed:

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
1234 Nowhere Lane
Anywhere, OH 44877

What do I do? 

Re: Internet hugs to the person who can tell me how to address this invite.

• I would think either include middle names as in "Mr. and Mrs. John Jones Smith" or do their names separately like "Mrs. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith." 

But I get all my info on these things here, so....I'm sure someone wiser has the right answer :)

• CMGragain said:
    Since I believe you will be sending them identical invitations, just send the two invitations and let them figure it out.  You could also use the modern feminist form of address:

Ms. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith

Ms. Doris Smith and Mr. John Smith

This is perfectly proper.
    @CMGragain Does that mean it's wrong to do like what I said, "Mrs. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith?"  I do not mean to thread jack!!  I am genuinely curious, and I don't want to give wrong or bad advice or make any faux pas myself.  You just know so darn much!! :)

• Generally you use Ms. with a woman's first name, but I don't think using Mrs. is a big deal.  I, personally, prefer the traditional Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, but this is a special case.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I agree with the traditional preference, but I just wasn't sure about Ms. v. Mrs.  Thanks for the clarification!

eta: grammar

• I'm curious how two men with identical names ended up in the same house. Is it a father and son? In that case, I believe you could say:

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, Sr.
    and
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, Jr.

How do they differentiate their other mail?
  • edited August 2014

Like other said, you could include wife's name.

Or designate using middle initials, like:

Mr. and Mrs. George W. Bush

Mr. and Mrs. George H.W. Bush

Of course, that's assuming middle name is different.

• You could use:

John and Mary Smith

on one invitation and

John and Jane Smith

on the other, without the "Mr. and Mrs."  This is less formal than it would normally be.

Just out of curiosity, are the two men not related?
  • @Jen4948, the men are related (father and son), but the son is not a Junior or II. 
  • Does it really matter who gets which one? IIRC you're not doing inner envelopes, right? I would probably address them the same and hope they spell out both names on the RSVP. :-p

• H's family has a lot of same names, so his mother gave me the list with "Mr. and Mrs. John H. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. John D. Smith," etc. I couldn't believe she had the middle initial for her entire guest list. I couldn't tell you what most of my cousins middle names are.
  • Whatever you do, just please do not randomly assign them Sr or Jr when that's not their name! Also OP, Mrs. Jane Smith indicates the woman is divorced. Ms Jane Smith is preferable.
  • Occupant 1 and Occupant 2.
  • Whatever you do, just please do not randomly assign them Sr or Jr when that's not their name! Also OP, Mrs. Jane Smith indicates the woman is divorced. Ms Jane Smith is preferable.
    I would never!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    My son is named after his paternal grandfather. 

Son's name: Paul Donald Smith
    Grandpa's name:  Paul James Smith

This does not my son them junior, or II.  Simply include the middle names that differentiate them.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards