New Jersey

Marriage Licenses

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I live in New York but are getting married in West Orange. I know that we have to get our license in the town where we're getting married. Has anyone had any experience with the West Orange office in particular? I know that the process, while uniform throughout the state, can still vary depending on the town.

For our witness: can it be someone related to one of us (for example, my mom)? Or does it have to be someone who's not related? The information online doesn't make it clear.

Can someone besides one of us pick of the license? Or does it have to be one of us? This makes things a bit tricky because we don't live or work near West Orange and I don't know when we could get there during the week to go get it.

Thanks!
Amanda

Re: Marriage Licenses

• I have zero experience with a marriage license in West Orange, but can answer your question about the witness. It can be someone related; we had my MIL come as ours. 

As far as picking up the license, I think it has to be one of you. You can pick it up no more than 30 days before your wedding. See if their clerk has a day with late hours or if you can make an appointment. I went alone to pick up my license without any problem, but I think I had to show some form of id.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't get mine in West Orange, but my brother got his in Montclair which is the same county (I got mine in Sussex county). A family member can be the witness. As far as pick up some one else can pick it up (at least that was my experience). 

I would suggest that you call city hall and ask them all of your questions before you head out to fill out all of the paperwork. 
  • I got mine in WO.  It was very simple.  You can have anyone that knows you as a witness.  The fee I believe it was $22 needs to be paid in cash.  You don't need an appointment.  You just need to come in when they are open.  I wanna say its 8-4 M-F.  I called the health department (973-325-4120) and spoke with Jamie.  She was very helpful.

This link might help you as well.  http://www.westorange.org/index.aspx?nid=244  to save time I filled out my application ahead of time.  After the 72 hours anyone can go and pick up the license.  (I sent my mom)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, everyone, for your help! I had looked on the website, but I know from friends' experiences in other towns that what's on the website is not always 100% accurate.
  • I just got mine in West Orange last month and it was $10 per copy. I got two just in case, but yes, it has to be paid in cash. 

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards