Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

MOH shower planning from afar

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to plan a bridal shower, as I live a few states away from the bride. My original plan was to talk to the bridesmaids that live there/the bride's mom/future mother-in-law about planning a bridal shower. The bride brought it up to me and said that her family would arrange my travel because she wanted to make sure I was there. I'm planning the bachelorette right now and am going to her state for the wedding about a week before. She is very understanding and I very graciously thanked her, but now I'm struggling with how to plan the party.

She and her mom decided on the date, which I would have had them do anyways. Most everything that I've read says it's not right for the mother of the bride to help plan the shower, but since she's arranging my travel and picked the date I don't know if I should ask for her help, or if she expects that she's helping? I don't want to come off wrong by asking for help (I know she's busy helping with wedding planning), and don't want her to feel like she's left out if I don't ask. What should I do?

When I go there for the shower it will only be over a weekend, so I was thinking of splitting up shower duties with hosts there, if they're willing to help. I can do some things from a different state, but feel that I won't be able to do decorations, food, etc. I would definitely pitch in and help with the cost! I could do invitations from here and help reserving a location, choosing games and prizes, etc.

Need some advice/thoughts. Thank you! :)

Re: MOH shower planning from afar

• Options
    I would ask the mom if she wants any input. My mom planned and paid for my shower, but my MOH "hosted" it. The invitations came from her, she organized games and gifts, etc. If the bride's mom already picked the date and is paying for your travel, she probably wants a hand in planning it.
  • Options

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to plan a bridal shower, as I live a few states away from the bride. My original plan was to talk to the bridesmaids that live there/the bride's mom/future mother-in-law about planning a bridal shower. The bride brought it up to me and said that her family would arrange my travel because she wanted to make sure I was there. I'm planning the bachelorette right now and am going to her state for the wedding about a week before. She is very understanding and I very graciously thanked her, but now I'm struggling with how to plan the party.

She and her mom decided on the date, which I would have had them do anyways. Most everything that I've read says it's not right for the mother of the bride to help plan the shower, but since she's arranging my travel and picked the date I don't know if I should ask for her help, or if she expects that she's helping? I don't want to come off wrong by asking for help (I know she's busy helping with wedding planning), and don't want her to feel like she's left out if I don't ask. What should I do?

When I go there for the shower it will only be over a weekend, so I was thinking of splitting up shower duties with hosts there, if they're willing to help. I can do some things from a different state, but feel that I won't be able to do decorations, food, etc. I would definitely pitch in and help with the cost! I could do invitations from here and help reserving a location, choosing games and prizes, etc.

Need some advice/thoughts. Thank you! :)

If you want, you could email the mom and BMs, tell them you're planning the shower and ask if anyone wants to co-host with you - to let you know by XX date. Send a reminder right before the date, and then tally your responses. If people say yes, then you have helpers/collaborators. If they say no, you're on your own. 

If people offer to co-host and/or contribute money, their ideas have just as much stock as yours. If they say no or don't respond, you can do whatever you want. If no one offers to co-host, it's super rude to "assign jobs". You offered to host the party so it's on you.

If you're planning from afar, I would make things super easy. Get it catered. Doesn't have to be fancy. You could just get pans of lasagna and salad (if a meal) or cheese and cracker/fruit/veggie trays from Costco/Sam's. Decor is as easy as table cloths and a candle in the middle. You can buy these where you live and bring them with you. Boom. Bridal shower. I would plan an afternoon shower so you have time to fly in, get settled and go set up. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks for the input Liatris2010! I guess I was kind of in the same situation for my sister's baby shower this year. I was also helping plan from afar. I pretty much "hosted" it, like you said, and did the invitations, organized the games...kind of was the "MC" for it I suppose. My mom, the mother in law, and my sister's friend decorated and planned the food, etc.
  • Options
    That is a great idea about emailing and asking southernbelle0915. Thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards