Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Seating Arrangement Woes (Rant)

2»

Re: Reception Seating Arrangement Woes (Rant)

• Banana is correct. The infants still need a space. It's hard to keep a baby on your lap the entire evening, and you can't exactly set a car carrier on a table.
  • Banana is correct. The infants still need a space. It's hard to keep a baby on your lap the entire evening, and you can't exactly set a car carrier on a table.
    Sure you can.  The baby could be the centerpiece!

**just kidding of course**

THIS! :D

Only if you dress it in burlap.

Only if you dress it in burlap.
    With a lace bow.

Ooh and feed the baby with a mason jar bottle :)

• FI & I did this last night because our venue needed it this morning. We had 14 kids and no idea where to put them. Kids table? at the parents table? We ended up making a large kids table and extra seats with parents in case the kids get shy. Thee venue was nice enough to allow us to do this. And thank god we had help to do this- Moscato & Riesling.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Can you do more than 10 tables and have 7 at some?
  • Lauderdale Pink said:
    It is a very difficult task and one I don't envy you.  My only question is, why do the families of 5 have to sit together?  Wouldn't the younger members of those families prefer to sit with people their own age?

SIB

Hello all. I am constantly lurking on these boards, but never comment. FWIW, I would like to say that I was an extremely shy child and teenager. When my family would be  invited to weddings and us kids were seated away from our parents, I was extremely uncomfortable. As a shy child I was never going to say anything about it to the hosts and my parents were too nice to say anything about it to the hosts. However, we all agreed that it was a crummy situation to be in, even if only for dinner hour. I think that no matter what, you will never please everyone, but separating families may make some guests uncomfortable. 
  • @LinZ121314 - Me too. I have terrible social anxiety. So, the thought of going to a wedding and having to go around to tables asking people "is this seat taken" sounds like the worst situation ever for me.

Hence the reason I am doing assigned tables for a tiny wedding, and "families" will be sat together. They eat dinner together at their own homes... they can handle eating at the same table at the wedding reception too :-)

Great idea!  Sure beats the Hell out of goldfish!!
  • I just want to add - OP, I'm doing my seat chart now and I kind of want to jump out the window. We're doing tables of 8-10 with one or two of 12 if we need to. Trying to keep everyone in groups while keeping it at 15 tables is really freaking hard. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    @Jen4948 - I meant that you generalized that most young teenagers do not like to sit with their parents. Which is why I bolded that portion in your post.
    Big deal, Maggie.

The point is, kids over 10 need not automatically be seated with their parents.  Some really don't like to sit with their parents and can do just fine not being seated with their parents.
    And some really like to sit with their parents. I know if I had been seated away from my parents at 10 or 11, I would have been miserable. 

Snippy snippy snippy
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    @Jen4948 - I meant that you generalized that most young teenagers do not like to sit with their parents. Which is why I bolded that portion in your post.
    Big deal, Maggie.

The point is, kids over 10 need not automatically be seated with their parents.  Some really don't like to sit with their parents and can do just fine not being seated with their parents.
    And some really like to sit with their parents. I know if I had been seated away from my parents at 10 or 11, I would have been miserable. 

Snippy snippy snippy
    Please do not goad people into another argument. It serves no purpose.

If you'd like to discuss the merits of seating kids with or away from their parents, please create a new thread.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards