Not Engaged Yet

Anniversary ideas!

Hi, ladies! My anniversary is tomorrow and I've gotten him a few little things (a gift card so he can buy some computer things I know he wants, some beard care stuff - his beard is getting impressive), but otherwise, I'm at a loss. We're not in a financial position to do anything huge for the day, but I want to do something nice. I tried to plan things and he keeps telling me not to worry about anything tomorrow. His ex wife (FINALLY!) has the kids for the night, that's all I know. Any ideas would be amazzinnnggg. Also, happy Thursday! :)

Re: Anniversary ideas!

• FI and I haven't ever really celebrated our dating anniversary...although I guess we finally sort of did for our 3rd. I told him I wanted a fancy date night because I was getting my hair and make up trial done that way and we toasted ourselves to three years together then.

It sounds like you've already gotten him some really nice gifts. How about just bring home a bottle of wine and a movie and make a nice romantic meal together?

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I agree with @lapeanut1018 , I think a nice dinner in sounds great. 

Fiance and I don't usually do much for birthdays or anniversaries... We will maybe do a card, or a nice meal. We just spend time together. And staying in is usually quite conducive to being a little extra romantic and/or schmoopy! 
  • @lapeanut1018 Oh, that's awesome! I'm not usually big on anniversaries and even less into the idea of anniversary gifts, but a lot has gone on in the last year so it's kind of "hey, thanks for being my best friend." I think that's what I will do. Simple is nice.
  • @lilacck28 Birthdays are kind of big around here, but only because mine falls just before Christmas so they end up combined and his falls right after Father's Day so they end up combined. My assumption is that we'll end up home for the night, with the exception of a few hours we have to spend at a family gathering. 
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, our relationship to holidays/ birthdays/ anniversaries is pretty much  based on how we grew up. Neither of our parents really went all out. We would both occasionally get gifts, but usually and especially now, a birthday means a nice meal and a cake, sometimes before or after the actual day. As for anniversaries, I remember my dad always got my mom a card. She worked constantly, and usually forgot ;P My dad was the romantic one. 

During our first year together, fiance and I DID celebrate all the milestones with presents and going out, because I really wanted to and I told him as much. It was just so exciting! But after that, we fell into the way we grew up. If I really want to do presents one year, I'll have to tell fiance so he doesn't feel blindsided and/or empty handed! 

Speaking of which... his birthday is coming up! I need to make him a card... and/or cupcakes. I'm definitely thinking yes to cupcakes. 
    ETA: I just realized... that my parents are more concerned with getting fiance gifts than I or his parents are! (They got him a set of nice, insulated glass coffee mugs a week or so ago for an early birthday gift. He's been wanting those forever.) And his parents give me gifts for my birthday/ Hanukkah when my parents and he do not! Funny how that works out.
  • H and I only were together for 1 year and 9 months before we were married so we really only had one anniversary when we were dating. From what I remember, he got me flowers and I cooked a nice dinner for both of us. We were engaged by the time our first anniversary came around so we were pretty focused on other things lol.

Now that we are married, we are going to do the traditional gifts each year and maybe go to a nice dinner. I think dinner and a movie at home would be perfect for anniversary celebrations when you're trying to save money.
  • @southernpeach89 I kinda love how you don't even remember your dating anniversary lol - like you're an OMH or something!

We typically do a nice dinner out and sometimes smaller gifts.  And we make a photo book each year!  So if you ever want to see six years of us being together (soon to be 7), just stop on by and you can peruse the photo books.  They're hilarious.  I totally intend on putting a pic of me in the hospital in the book from this year...but I'm not sure it'll fit with the WEDDING and HOUSE.  God, this was a busy year!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • luckya23luckya23 member
    edited August 2014

I only got SO a card for our anniversary, but I also took the day off and we spent it window shopping in a cute little nearby town.  We don't often have entire days off together because I'm terrible at time management, and his main weekend days are Monday/Tuesday.

He didn't get me anything that day, but he went ring shopping the next day so I'll count it! lol

He was away for my bday, and I think he worked on his own, so those weren't a big deal either... and by my request we agreed to not do Xmas gifts (his bday is Jan 12, so close enough!).

ETA: All that to say, I think spending time together is gift enough. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• FI and I never did anything for our dating anniversary. It was between Thanksgiving and Christmas so a pretty busy time. I'm HOPING we can take an anniversary trip every year since we're doing a DW :o) . I would just say a nice dinner out - I know some of my favorite times with FI are when we're just talking, so I'd say how about hanging out talking at a coffee shop after dinner?

Anniversary
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    FI and I usually go all out for Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries. We like to spoil each other. I grew up with holidays and birthdays being a huge deal though. Last year for Christmas I got him a couple of big Lego sets, some LOTR/Hobbit stuff from ThinkGeek, candy, gift cards to his favorite fast food places and a couple of nicer sit-down restaurants, an ornament for the tree, board games, and some books. His birthday is in January, so for that I did more Legos, more books, a nice dinner out, some Star Wars potato heads, and I think more gift cards. Anniversary is in February, and I got him a really nice bar set from Pottery Barn, a decanter, a bottle of scotch, cigars, and a little humidor. I like going over the top for him though because he does a lot for me during the rest of the year. There's a large discrepancy between our paychecks, so doing big gifts is my way of returning the favor and letting him know I don't feel entitled to his money.

For an ex's birthday one year I took him skydiving. It was a little pricey, but the experience is something neither of us will forget. I like "experiences" rather than just gifts because they can lead to really great memories. You could always take him out on a tour of a local brewery, winery, or distillery. If your city has any great skyscrapers or landmarks with awesome views, you could always do that (like the Space Needle in Seattle, Willis Tower in Chicago, etc). A lot of those places have lounges at the top, so you two could order drinks or appetizers and sit and enjoy the view and each other's company. Or, you could go to a nice park area and have a romantic picnic and then go star gazing or something. Maybe rent bikes/take your bikes out too. If he's a sports fan, buy some cheap, last-minute seats and go watch your local team and have dinner. You could do this for a concert or a musical/play as well. Also, you could go to dinner where you had your first date. FI and I did that for our first 2 anniversaries, and it was really special. The place wasn't super fancy, but it was fun to go back to "where it all began."  

ETA: If you want to do a gift on top of it all, you can do something small like one of those Funko Pop figurines for a series you both like, or a bunch of his favorite candy or something. A lot of times when FI tells me he's had a terrible day, I like to run by the grocery store and stock up on his favorite candy, beer, and soda. I'll arrange everything all cute in his office chair so when he comes home he'll be surprised. 

Basically, there are tons of things you can do from over-the-top gestures, to special dates, to small little gifts that can make your anniversary special. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH and I usually used our anniversaries as an excuse to go out to dinner. I remember our 3rd anniversary we did that and then had ice cream at a cute little place. He sometimes got me flowers and I demanded that he write something in a card (I don't have many things that he's written, so I use occasions to like that to ask him to write down how he feels about me).

If you had a tough year, maybe put together a little slideshow of some pictures of the two of you. Put on one of your favorite songs and play it for him. Then maybe give him a card with a heartfelt note. Really, it's not about the gifts but about recognizing the time you've spent together and how much you mean to each other.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @lilacck28‌ I like going all out for birthdays, they're so special to me. But, I also buy my Mom something on my birthday, after all -she did all the work. So maybe I'm just a little weird haha. I have TONS of cool cupcake recipes if you'd like any!

@Blue & White‌ I love the photo book idea! That's so awesome. BF and I don't have one, I should look into that! I have a book with my Dad, I've added to it every father's day since I started it ~7 years ago.

@eilis1228‌ daaaaang girl.
  • LOL gift giving is clearly one of my love languages.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards