Jewish Weddings
Options

He's Jewish, I'm Not - Do the Parents Stand Up With Us?

Hello! Lutheran marrying a Jewish man here.

My FMIL is paying for the catering at our wedding and the brunch. Very, very generously I might add. She's been panicking about the wedding a bit (more than a year out) but otherwise things are pretty great.

However, we started talking about the ceremony, which will be Jewish as that is how we intend to raise our children. FMIL keeps telling me that the parents of the groom walk him up and stand beside him with his wedding party, and the parents of the bride do the same.

This worries me a bit. Honestly we'll be standing on something of a small stage with 4 attendants on either side, the huppah, and the rabbi. It's already going to be crowded. In addition, my dad and grandmother will be walking me up and neither are in good health at all. I do NOT want them standing for the entire time.

Is this a Jewish tradition, or is this my FMIL's way of trying to be more involved with the ceremony? If it's not part of Jewish tradition I'd really rather the parents/my grandmother not stand up with us, it'll already be crowded and my side can't really stand there for 30 minutes anyway. I want to make sure it's not a religious tradition before I broach the subject, though - FMIL is going to take it very hard as it is, I imagine. If it is a tradition I'll figure out something else but I certainly won't object.

Thanks!

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 

Re: He's Jewish, I'm Not - Do the Parents Stand Up With Us?

• Options
    This actually is a Jewish tradition where the bride's parents stand under the huppah.  But it's not a hard-and-fast rule.  Certainly people who can't actually stand aren't expected to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards