Wedding Woes
Options

I will never live up to my theater dreams

Dear Prudence,
I am 28 years old, and I’ve had a passion for theater since before I can remember. My mother tells me that the only thing that would settle me down at the age of 2 was putting on a recording of The Mikado. I majored in theater in college and I now am out in the real world. My husband is endlessly supportive of my theatrical ambitions, but I’m a disappointment in my field. My heart is breaking, because I have the passion and the drive, but not the talent. Where do I go from here? Do I give up and go into real estate, where my likability and a gift for convincing will get me paid, but not fulfilled?

—Always Good, Never Great

Re: I will never live up to my theater dreams

• Options
    Seems like the writer could sell real estate and do community theater.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • Options
    It depends on the community re: community theatre.  

She can find other aspects of the theatre world to satisfy herself.  There are plenty of aspects other than performance for a career.  But if she refuses to acknowledge that, then yeah, she should just give it up.  

I do wonder how you have passion and drive, but not talent though.  Very few of the most brilliant actors of today made it on talent alone.  Maybe checking out other avenues of networking or theaterical venues is necessary.  This really sounds like, "If I can't be on Broadway and be Bernadette Peters, I'm a failure" trip.
  • Options
    I agree V.
  • Options
    I knew I couldn't make it professionally doing theater I got my undergrad degree in acting, I moved on got my MBA I work in finance and do community theater as a hobby best of both worlds.  It's very feasable.  I do wonder what her level of talent is versus where she wants to be....

Anniversary

• Options
    Pease, I'm a double major of theatre and political science here.  :)
  • Options
    @VarunaTT do you do anything with theater now, or is your career related most to the political science degree?

Anniversary

• Options
    Probably more the polysci, just b/c I became a paralegal after a few choices I made (not good or bad, just choices).

I toy with theatre locally sometimes, but our community theatre community is very cliquish, which I find annoying, and the shows tend to the happy go-lucky type of things.  I referred to the production of Cabaret as the Rodgers and Hammerstein version, b/c you've never seen so many smiling, well dressed and happy WW2 prostitutes in an occupied country who had abortions.  
  • Options
    @VarunaTT wow now that is a version of Cabaret I've never seen... I always get annoyed when a group chooses to do a dark show and then tries to lighten it up...

Anniversary

• Options
    I have a coworker who acts in some local commercials and was recently in a Christian movie of some sort  - it has nothing to do with his day job (petrochem industry) - but he is still able to enjoy doing something he loves. 
  • Options
          I work as a data analyst, but my Bachelors is in Musical Theater. I have danced and sang my whole life. I have a very active community theater life. I did some theater professionally out of college, but the thought of always having to be looking for that next job stresses me out. 
  • Options
    If she's not willing to do what it takes to succeed in theater, then probably a good time to move on and find something that'd be fulfilling to her in a new way.  There are thousands of jobs involving the skills learned doing theater.  Sewing - costume design - both of which are skills that one can be fulfilled and succeed in no matter where she is if she's got skills.  Most actors will admit they don't have talent, they do however have drive to never give up, the great ones are those who develop the talent anyway AND never give up...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards