Military Brides

Invitation wording help needed

Hello all :)

My husband and I opted for a civil ceremony to make sure I would be listed on his upcoming orders. We married knowing we would celebrate with a "real" wedding when the right time came along (aka when the military allowed us to!)

I'm looking for some ideas on how to word the invitations. My family and friends know that we are already married. I guess my tiny fear is that some people will not understand - and an invitation seems like a simple way to spell it out to folks who might be less than supportive.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Re: Invitation wording help needed

• Congrats on your marriage! A couple of my friends had the same issue. One held only a wedding reception and listed that on the invites. The other had a full wedding since they had to elope last minute. Her's stated that her parents were requesting the honour of your presence at the vow renewal of... If you both have the same last name now, just make sure the invitations reflects that so guests will know you are already married. 

My last suggest is to just do the invitations in the manner you wish and have a family member follow up with the few guests that don't know. If you need more wording ideas find a copy of Service Etiquette. It has a large section on weddings and how to word invitations. It has been so helpful for me. 
  • Another option if you don't want state you are going to renew your vows (which I think is a great way to write it out), and without spelling out your (possible) same last names, you could also say something like "Please join John and Jane in a celebration of their love". That way, you aren't necessarily stating it is a wedding or that you are married for those that might not understand- and still not lying about being married. It's a tough situation to be in- while you are not obligated to share all the details of your life and marriage with people if you so chose , it is important not to lie either.
  • Another option if you don't want state you are going to renew your vows (which I think is a great way to write it out), and without spelling out your (possible) same last names, you could also say something like "Please join John and Jane in a celebration of their love". That way, you aren't necessarily stating it is a wedding or that you are married for those that might not understand- and still not lying about being married. It's a tough situation to be in- while you are not obligated to share all the details of your life and marriage with people if you so chose , it is important not to lie either.

Pretty sure the things you're not obligated to share include finances, bedroom activities, and the like...not whether you are married or not...and this post is kinda old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Ooo,"celebration of love"?  Sounds like a 1970s hippie love fest.  Yuck!

The OP, who is probably long gone, needs wording for a vow renewal ceremony, not a wedding.  You get ONE wedding, military or not, and she has already had hers.

Mr. and Mrs. Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they affirm their marriage vows
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

or, if they just want to celebrate without a needless ceremony,

Mr. and Mrs. Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company
    to celebrate their recent marriage