Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No Chicken?

We currently have 4 dishes we will be trying at our tasting and none of them is chicken. We are looking at picking two from braised short ribs, new york strip, salmon, or scallops. I'm guessing with these options will have one beef and one seafood option. I thought that would be just a bit different than the typical wedding chicken or fish, but now I'm wondering if we should have a chicken option too or in place of the beef? I know when I was younger (like teens) I hated seafood and beef and would have gaged at these options. Clearly now I love them both but should we offer the standard chicken for those less adventurous?

ETA: It's going to be a plated dinner the sides will be potatoes and roasted veggies for the beef option we pick and rice pilaf and green beans for the seafood option we pick.

Re: No Chicken?

• Well I really don't think of your options as being adventurous by any means. And no you don't need to have chicken but not everyone eats red meat and/or seafood so that is why chicken is always a go to option for large events such as a wedding. Also, you should really have a vegetarian option as well.

• I forgot to mention the vegetarian option is a chefs choice probably a rice based dish but I don't think it's a concern since I looked over our guest list and none of them are vegetarian and it's 90% family so I would know. I guess adventurous isn't the best word not sure what you call people who don't eat seafood or red meat.
  • I would make sure you get to taste the vegetarian option and that it's kickass. Don't compromise here. 

A lot of people don't eat seafood or red meat - that's why chicken is generally a safe crowd pleaser. If you're not having chicken, the no seafood/red meat people will go for the vegetarian dish. Hence my suggestion that it be awesome.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with Southernbelle. Taste the veggie dish. Even people who eat red meat and seafood may feel more in the mood for the veggie dish and pick that instead.

• If you had a veggie dish, it should be well rounded.  We didn't have chicken.  We had roasted lamb, miso glazed sea bass, and a vegetarian pasta bar
  • I think I'll just add a chicken option. We can't have any gluten at the event period. I and 2 other people have celiac disease so pasta, the easiest vegetarian dish, is out and those who dislike seafood and red meat can still get a meal they like if I add chicken. I suppose if anyone is an undercover (or new-found) vegetarian the chef will take care of them. It's a high end reception venue and he's been in fine dining for decades I've eaten at his restaurants I'm confident in his abilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards