Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Newspaper engagement announcement for someone who has not graduated college?

My fiance and I want to put our engagement announcement in the local paper but I never graduated and all the examples I can see of announcements list the brides education and occupation, which is a little embarrassing for me. Is there any alternative wording you have found for someone in my position? Thank you!!!

Re: Newspaper engagement announcement for someone who has not graduated college?

• Options
    Are you currently working at all? You could just say "the bride is currently employed with X company." Or you could just leave it simply at "the bride and groom are currently residing in X city."

• Options
    Here is an example from my local paper:

(Bride-to-be’s name) of (hometown,) and (groom-to-be’s name) of (hometown,) are engaged and planning a (date) wedding at (church, home, etc.)

She is the daughter of (parents’ names) of (hometown.)  She is a (year) graduate of (school) and is (profession) in (town, state if necessary.)

He is the son of (parents’ names) of (hometown.)  He graduated from (school) in (year) and is a (job) at (company) (town, state if necessary.)

You could just cut out the school part or I have seen people just fill that part in with their high school information.

Or you could just do something like this:

(Bride-to-be’s name) of (hometown,) and (groom-to-be’s name) of (hometown,) are engaged and planning a (date) wedding at (church, home, etc.)

She is the daughter of (parents’ names) of (hometown.)  

He is the son of (parents’ names) of (hometown.)  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I never understood why you had to list your credentials (education and employment) in an engagement announcement.  No one really cares about that stuff, they only care to know that you are engaged to be married.  I think you could really include or exclude whatever you want.  I would just keep it short and sweet and include the parent names and hometowns and when the wedding is planned for.

• Options
    I laughed when I found my late parents' engagement announcement, obviously written by my pretentious mother.  She proudly proclaimed that her fiance (my Dad) had attended Drake University and was employed by XYZ Petroleum Co.  Dad was at college for exactly six weeks, and he drove a gas truck!  La-di-dah!
    Don't guild the lily. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Just have it say what you want.  You could also say "attended X college" - it's technically not a lie (if you did attend, but not graduate).   Most people would probably assume you also graduated, but you're not saying one way or another.  You could also word it that way for your fiance and let people assume what they want. 

But honestly...I didn't realize people still did engagement announcements.  I don't think I know a single person that still gets a newspaper delivered.  We all read our newspapers online and it's never occurred to me to look if they put the engagement announcements online.  So say what you want.

However, assuming there are people who still read paper newspapers, I would not take the previous advice of also including your wedding date.  I know The Knot article on the subject says to include it so you don't have to constantly answer questions about when "the big day" is, but what would you rather do?  Answer that question multiple times or give burglars a big ol' flashing sign saying "Hey, hey burglar, this is a good day to come by and steal all my stuff because I'm gonna be at my wedding all day!"???  If you want to say when it is - I would just limit it to the year or a season and year.  (Plus, like I said, unless you live in a tiny town with a local paper, I'm going to guess a lot of people aren't going to see the announcement unless you expressly point it out to them - so they're going to ask you the date anyway.)
  • Options
    Our was something like this. We left out our college graduations and wedding date.

(Bride name) of (hometown) and (groom's name) of (hometown) plan to be married in Las Vegas, Nevada this October.

(Bride) is the daughter of (Dad & Mom) of (hometown) and graduated from (hometown high school) in (graduation year). (Bride) is currently employed as a (job title) at (employer).

(Groom) is the son of (Dad & Mom) of (hometown) and graduated from (hometown high school) in (graduation year). (Groom) is currently employed as a (job title) at (employer).

The couple resides in Chicago, Illinois. (This could also say, "The couple plans to purchase a home in (wherever you plan to live)." We kept it simple.)

-=-

Most newspapers have a form you fill out, and you can specify if you don't want certain information included. Then the writers take that form and write an announcement, using the information you were willing to provide.

We weren't going to do engagement announcements, but since I have a gazillion relatives and old classmates in (hometown), we decided to put one in the paper. It's a small town, and many people we know still get the Sunday paper. Plus, I'd always wanted one I could add to my wedding album.

We didn't do wedding announcements.
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    Just have it say what you want.  You could also say "attended X college" - it's technically not a lie (if you did attend, but not graduate).   Most people would probably assume you also graduated, but you're not saying one way or another.  You could also word it that way for your fiance and let people assume what they want. 

But honestly...I didn't realize people still did engagement announcements.  I don't think I know a single person that still gets a newspaper delivered.  We all read our newspapers online and it's never occurred to me to look if they put the engagement announcements online.  So say what you want.

However, assuming there are people who still read paper newspapers, I would not take the previous advice of also including your wedding date.  I know The Knot article on the subject says to include it so you don't have to constantly answer questions about when "the big day" is, but what would you rather do?  Answer that question multiple times or give burglars a big ol' flashing sign saying "Hey, hey burglar, this is a good day to come by and steal all my stuff because I'm gonna be at my wedding all day!"???  If you want to say when it is - I would just limit it to the year or a season and year.  (Plus, like I said, unless you live in a tiny town with a local paper, I'm going to guess a lot of people aren't going to see the announcement unless you expressly point it out to them - so they're going to ask you the date anyway.)
    Everyone in my neighborhood gets their daily paper newspaper!  What planet are you from?

OP, you do realize that most newspapers charge a very hefty fee for printing engagement and wedding announcements?  We skipped this because of the cost.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

CMGragain said:
    jacques27 said:

Everyone in my neighborhood gets their daily paper newspaper!  What planet are you from?

OP, you do realize that most newspapers charge a very hefty fee for printing engagement and wedding announcements?  We skipped this because of the cost.
    I think it really depends on the area. My local newspaper our engagement and wedding announcements are free to put into the paper. However, the next town over, to put an announcement into the paper, they charge you, whether you are a local resident or not.

We are only putting one in because it is free, otherwise we would skip it.

As far as the whole announcement goes, we are doing something along the lines of (brides name) of hometown and (groom name) of hometown are announcing their engagement and April 25th, 2015 wedding.

Bride is the daughter of Ms. X of la de da and Mr. and Mrs. Y of so and so. She graduated high school in 2008 from said high school. She currently works at a local hospital doing an awesome job.

FI is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Z of D*area. He high school in 2008 from said high school and went on to pursue a career with the Army. He received his associates degree in *I forget year and what degree* and will graduate with his bachelors in December. FI also works at an awesome job!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014

CMGragain said:
    jacques27 said:

Between phones with apps, iPads and Kindles, entire cable networks providing news and scrolling news alerts 24-7, and most major city newspapers and local news stations providing the exact same information (but more up to date) on their websites, I can't think of a single person I know under the age of 65 who still has a paper newspaper subscription.  Even in my building consisting almost exclusively of retired septuagenarians, I used to see seven copies of the paper in our lobby every morning when I left for work and now there are none - the last hold out was my 85 year old neighbor who said her granddaughter convinced her to get satellite tv and an iPad and she was getting too old to haul the bag of papers out to recycling every week.  Even our free local town paper that used to be delivered every week stopped making the rounds several years ago. 

ETA:  Just out of curiosity, I thought I would check - yeah - our paper doesn't even DO announcements other than obituaries and public notices anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards