Wedding Woes

Wedding Successes?

What is your wedding ratio? How many weddings have you been in, as a WP member, where the couple is still together? How about as a guest?

Yes, this question is rude, tasteless and tacky. That is what makes it fun.

I'll start. I was only in one WP, as MOH, the couple is still together.

In the last 3 weddings where I was a guest, 2 of the 3 are kaput.

Yet we all know, no couple ever thinks their marriage won't last.

Re: Wedding Successes?

• I've been in 5 weddings as a BM and 1 as a MOH. They are all still together with 3 topping the 20+ range. I only know of one couple divorcing. I was invited but couldn't attend that one.
  • You are a lucky charm then, 6fsn! You should hire yourself out, with that record.
  • I've only been in one wedding. Couple is now divorced. DH has better odds- he's been in 5 weddings and only one divorce.
  • I've never been in a wedding party. 
    The first 2 weddings that I attended (at 10-12 yo) both ended in divorce. One within the first 2 years (he was abusive), and one after about 20 years (I think in late 2013). Both were family weddings. 

As an adult - I was the first in my friend group (at 23) - we've been married almost 8 years. All of my friends that have been married in the last several years are still married. 
  • I've been in 6 weddings - 5 as MOH and 1 as bridesmaid.  2 of the 6 couples are divorced.  Of the still-married, one is 26 yrs, 2 about 20 years and the other just celebrated 10 years.
  • I've only been a BM once...though I knew at the time that marriage was over before it started.  My poor friend hung in there for about three years, but she is now happily remarried.

I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding. They are divorced now, but were married for over 20 years.

I can't talk much about weddings I was a guest at.  Most of them were when I was child.  Of the four I can think of as an adult (guest)...two IDK because we lost touch and the other two the couples are still strong from what I can tell.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The very first wedding I was a guest I was about 7, was my cousin. They are still married, 50+years.

There are 3 weddings I attended a long time ago, where I have no idea if they are still together or not. I was a plus 1 at one, and lost touch with the others.

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I was going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding, but it was called off about a month beforehand when the bride caught the groom cheating on her.  Also, the groom was my brother.  Not his finest hour.

DD was a flower girl in two weddings in one weekend two years ago, and one of the couples is divorced (also my brother, though this time it was the bride who decided after the fact that she didn't really love him after all, ouch), one is still together.  For the latter, I attended the bride's (SIL's) first wedding, and I think they made it a year and a half before calling it quits.  BIL's wedding was several weeks before the two-wedding weekend, and they are also now divorced.  DH was an usher in other SIL's wedding, and I think that marriage lasted about a year, give or take.  Oh, and we went to other BIL's wedding, and they were together for several years (and three kids) before getting divorced.  Of our immediate families, we're like the only couple that is still together.  Knock on wood.

We also say that our wedding was cursed, because of everyone in our BP and immediate family (excl. parents), I think all but one of those couples (BFF and her H) has since split, most before our first anniversary.
  • I have no idea how many weddings I've been to.  I have been in 6 or 7, I think, if you count being a flower girl a few times way back when.

I know of 2 divorces.  One was my aunt and uncle, after nearly 20 years and the other was my cousin.
  • I was a FG in at least 2 weddings growing up.  One couple is still together (it was for aunts and uncles). 

I've been in 4 weddings as a BM/MOH (two sisters, SIL/BIL, and a close friend) and they are all still married. 

I don't know how many weddings I've actually been to.  There have been a lot, especially in the last 10 or so years. 
  • I've been the presenter in one wedding (kind of a maid of honor position -- it was a Daoist wedding, and I gave my best friend away because his mom wouldn't come to the wedding because she doesn't approve of him being trans or marrying another transman) and a bridesmaid in another. They're both still together.

I think I've only been to two other weddings, and as far as I know, my fourth grade teacher is still married and I know that the other couple is still together.

• I was in 5 weddings. BM twice MOH three times. 4 are still married over 10 years. One killed her husband. I am not sure what category to put that one in.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I've been a BM in 4 weddings and a MOH in 1. All couples are still going strong. I have been to maybe 3 as a guest. 

I also went to a wedding celebration party after a DW. 

I think my total is 8 weddings. I probably have more when I was little but I don't really know. The memories I have of big parties could be weddings or just a big party. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've been to 19 weddings, invited to 20 total, and in 4. Only 2 have ended in divorce--and both recently.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• and oh god! @debbeau

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Yup didn't see that one coming.
  • We might need details on that one.
  • :: rubs hands together ::
  • I've been to 6 weddings, one as bridesmaid.  The 6 are still together. The one I was in as a bridesmaid is still together, but i doubt for long.  She threatened to divorce him if he went to hang out with a friend of his because the friend "looked at (her) the wrong way".
  • We were in high school when they got married. A few years later the H was working under her car when it was jacked up. The girl kicked the jack out and the car fell. It was ruled an accident. Five years later while drinking she casually told a friend she did it. Friend turned her in. Off to the pokey.
  • debbeau said:
    We were in high school when they got married. A few years later the H was working under her car when it was jacked up. The girl kicked the jack out and the car fell. It was ruled an accident. Five years later while drinking she casually told a friend she did it. Friend turned her in. Off to the pokey.
  • Good for friend, I guess. That would be a fairly easy on to have look like an accident.
  • She should be on Deadly Women. That is horrifying. And she didn't tell for 5 years. That is cold.
  • danamw said:
    She should be on Deadly Women. That is horrifying. And she didn't tell for 5 years. That is cold.
    Her story should be submitted to "Snapped".   This is right up that show's alley. 
  • People can't hold anything in. Who tells someone they killed their husband? Tell your priest, tell your therapist, yo.
  • Alcohol - the great truth serum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards