Wedding Party
Options

Parent's Gifts

Should  parents be given gifts if they are not paying for the wedding?

Re: Parent's Gifts

• Options
    I don't think gifts are ever required.  Nevertheless, I feel like parent gifts at a wedding can not only be thank yous for help or financing, but can be a more general gift of gratitude and appreciation for their role and contributions to you overall.  In that sense, when you have an overall positive relationship with your parents, I think a gift is appropriate.  It doesn't have to be a big or expensive thing.  It can be a picture frame and a promise to provide a formal picture post-wedding; it can be something that commemorates a special childhood moment.  Or it could be something specific to the parent - a favorite bottle of wine or restaurant gift certificate.

I also think that a great alternative to a gift is a letter that expresses thanks to your parents for their help and guidance, and maybe how much it means to have them present with you when you are getting married.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I never think of the parents gifts as thank yous for the wedding but more as thank yous for a lifetime, you know? So give or don't give, but don't factor in just the wedding in your decision.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Thank you so much for the thoughts and the gift ideas.  Very helpful!  :-)

• Options
    Great thoughts!  I definitely appreciate the different perspective.  Thank you.
  • Options
    gejgold said:
    Should  parents be given gifts if they are not paying for the wedding?
    You do not give someone a gift because they are paying for your wedding.  You give them a gift because you want to give them a gift.  My daughter gave me a lovely thank you note and See's chocolates!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    My daughter's in-laws paid for about 1% of the wedding, no joke. Both sets of parents got the same gift. I thought it was a classy move on the part of the bride and groom. Always a good idea to take the high road even if others don't
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards