Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

song during ceremony

So I'm looking for opinions on this. Our officiant is also a singer (she does have a pretty voice), and she has offered to sing a song for a portion of the ceremony. She says most of her couples do this, and that it usually goes over well and that the guests love it. I've never seen this done before at any wedding I've ever been to. My FI and I kinda lean towards it being cheesy… but I don't know, the officiant seems to think it's the best idea ever, and that it's very memorable. 

What do you all think? Weird or awesome?

Re: song during ceremony

• Options
    Honestly, I think it's kind of cheesy.  If you and your FI are having misgivings about it, I would skip it.
    Anniversary

• Options
    It kind of sounds like she just likes to sing at weddings so she thinks its the best idea ever...

Personally, I'd tell her no. But if you heard her sing the song, you like it and it makes sense with your ceremony flow, then go for it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I lean towards no also because it takes the focus off you as a couple and puts it on her.  Maybe suggest she sing as you leave the altar space.  That way the eyes of the guest are on you but everyone will enjoy her voice.
  • Options
    We had two singers in our wedding. Both songs were fairly short and one of the singers was also a groomsman. Many of the weddings I have been to have had one or more singers, in fact. One friend, though, had four or something ridiculous because all her friends sing, so that was a bit much.

That said, you don't seem to like the idea, so tell her no thanks.
  • Options
    I think it's weird because she's not someone close to you. My FSIL is singing a song at our ceremony before I walk down the aisle, but she's a trained musician and FI's sister. She offered to do it and it's our way of including her in the ceremony, so it makes sense for us.
  • Options
    What do you two do whiles she sings? Just stare at each other? This seems uber awkward to me.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go for it.  She's already performing the ceremony.  It would seem AWish of her to do more than officiate.
  • Options
    Our best man sang Ava Maria during the unity candle ceremony. If he wouldn't have sung, we still would have had a song played on the organ during that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards