Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What are your unwanted gifts?

So, what gifts did you get that you had to return or didn't want?  Anything weird?  Why did you have to return it?

Most of the stuff I want to return is stuff people did not buy off of the registry.  I don't know why people continue to spend money on things that aren't on the registry.  Seems like a waste.  Anyway, I got a beautiful set of Waterford Crystal Candleholders but I don't need 200 dollar candleholders that I'll only put out on the holidays.  I'd rather return them and have something practical.  Unfortunately, i can't return them so I might sell them because 200 dollars cash is much more practical.  Someone else got me an electric griddle except she bought a random one not the one on my registry.  It can't be put in the dishwasher so I have to return that too for some sort of store credit.  Then I got some pachelbel canon windchimes which are nice but I don't really have an outdoor seating area to put them so not sure what to do with them. Perhaps I'll sell them on ebay or something.  

Re: What are your unwanted gifts?

• Ha, I don't know which is worse, having a bunch of things to exchange/sell or hardly getting anything on your registry. H and I got mostly cash and checks. Only a few people bought us wedding presents off of the registries. I think the most gifts we got off of the registries were from my bridal shower. I feel like it was such a waste of time, even though it was fun, for us to register. At least they stay active for a while and my local BBB has a completion event coming up soon so we can get a few more things.
  • We got a willow tree figurine as an engagement gift.  Really not our style, so it will probably sit in the closet.  And at my shower I got a garter, which was just kind of weird.  I know one of my friends is going to get us something random for the wedding - she kept talking about it and asking what we would want.  I kind of feel like if you want to get something more "personal" then fine, but you should at least pick it out yourself.  It defeats the purpose if you ask me what it should be!
    Married 10/2/10
  • We got a pasta bowl with a bride and groom on it. It came from this odd store, and it cost $100! Too bad the store was so wierd that they didn't have anything else we wanted, so we opted not to pay for shipping to return it and just keep it.
  • Ours is more along the lines of "What are we going to do with these?"  My great-aunt sent us a set of doilies and a table runner she crocheted for us.  I love her to bits, but those so aren't our style.  Until I can think of something, they're carefully stored in an airtight bag in our spare bedroom closet.
  • MissySue, cash is soo much better than registry gifts!  I didn't get more than one physical gift at the wedding.  All the gifts I got were from the bridal shower or were mailed to me in advance of the wedding.  I got some really nice gifts from people who were invited but didn't even come!
  • quotequeen, tell her to pick something random off of your registry.  I mean... that is so stupid.  Why would you spend all of that time picking out gifts on the registry so she can  ask you to pick out some special gift that's different just for her?  
  • megandjay, ha ha that is funny.  What a terrible gift.  After you are married a while, why would you want something with a bride and groom on it?  Also, a hundred dollars for that is crazy.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_unwanted-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:53a181fa-c2f9-49ab-960b-f14b2f1b6431Post:ab3a5e4e-8640-467e-859f-f0d8b48948e8">Re: What are your unwanted gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]quotequeen, tell her to pick something random off of your registry.  I mean... that is so stupid.  Why would you spend all of that time picking out gifts on the registry so she can  ask you to pick out some special gift that's different just for her?  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

I believe very strongly that the registry is just a suggestion, and a convenient way of answering when people ask what you would want.  I would never imply or indicate that somebody is obligated to buy from the registry or that different gifts are not welcome.  I have no issue with her picking something out herself, just the part where she keeps asking me what it should be.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Well, that's the thing.  She asks you what you want and you give her a list of a million things that you want called a registry.  Why is this not good enough?  WHy does she have to have some special list just for her to purchase off of that no one else can see?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_unwanted-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:53a181fa-c2f9-49ab-960b-f14b2f1b6431Post:2393244a-143a-4c48-98d7-6c04c0782268">Re: What are your unwanted gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]MissySue, cash is soo much better than registry gifts!  I didn't get more than one physical gift at the wedding.  <strong>All the gifts I got were from the bridal shower or were mailed to me in advance of the wedding.</strong> <strong> I got some really nice gifts from people who were invited but didn't even come!</strong>
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Some of the most expensive and nicest gifts were from people who didn't come. I am thankful and appreciative of what we did get and glad we didn't have a lot of exchanges/returns to make. It just stinks bc things have been tight for us recently and some of the money we have had to spend on everyday expenses.

I know we will get the things we still need eventually, but it is just that waiting and having to put other things first. I know my parents and Grandma will be buying off of the registry for my birthday and Christmas, which is good.
  • I guess our wierdest gift was a set of King size sheets.  They were really nice sheets, and not from our registry.  But had they looked at the registry they would have known we had a queen sized bed not king.  So we returned them and have a gift card to JCPenney now. 

We only got a few actual gifts at our wedding.  In our area its mostly monetary gifts at the wedding.  Most of the gifts we got from the registry came at our shower.

Missysue- I agree with the cash thing.  We want to keep it in our savings for when we actually get somewhere long enough to buy a house, but then we also still need to buy some stuff and don't really want to crack into that money.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I really cannot complain about our gifts.  Most of our gifts were checks and the few actual gifts came from our registry.  We did get this big ceramic bowl intended to hang on the wall.  It's nice, but not our style and we have no idea what we will actually do with it.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • We got mostly monetary gifts and boxed gifts were, for the most part, from our registry.

We did, however, get a couple of really random things that I returned. We got a really nice picture frame (from Macy's, where we were registered, but not off of our registry) that is completely not our style and matches none of our decor. It was thoughtful, but much more the giver's style than our own. We also got a few more random items from Macy's that weren't on the registry that I returned (a wine rack because we don't drink wine, a random plate not off our registry, etc.)

We also got a vase that has an oriental flair to it...it's handpainted with small figures doing some sort of dance or something. It's really odd looking. It will probably end up in a closet, as it goes with nothing in our home.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Wow. I've been reading through these and I'm jealous of your unwanted gifts. lol. I just had my bridal shower and I didn't get anything off of my registry. Although I really appreciate the gestures from my friends and my friends moms, I am in a very small house actually located on my wedding venue so we don't have room for things that we didn't register for, especially things that don't match the decor of the house we are renting, so I'm having some trouble. (Example: Our bathroom has to match the kitchen because clients use both and the color scheme is all creams, browns and blacks and I got paisley orange and pink towels hand towels for the sink). It seems like all the things I got were from weird random places, because they are not regular "Target/Khol's/BBB/Walmart" kind of things. 

Seriously? Just resell this stuff? Has anyone every had an experience where people came over and started "looking" for the things that they gave you and they weren't out because you returned them? 
  • @saramiah2014 You're replying to a thread that is 4 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards