Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Custom designed e-rings

Hey everyone, my bf is ordering my e-ring on Saturday (yay!!). He's combining two rings into one and slightly modifying. For those with custom e-rings, did it turn out better/exactly the same/worse than what you pictured in your head? How long did it take the jeweler to make the ring? I'm really excited! TIA!

Re: Custom designed e-rings

• Options
    My ring turned out exactly as I pictured, but seeing it in real life made me love it even more. I'm not sure how long it took to make; FI designed the ring with me and he proposed about 10 months later. He won't tell me how long he had it before he asked, so that part is a mystery!
  • Options
    I designed my own.   It took about 4-6 weeks.  We went back a few times to look at the wax model.  We make a few slight adjustments before we signed off for them to do the pour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Can't wait to see pics!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I was not involved with my ring choice at all, but I did help my brother design his wife's ring. As @lyndausvi‌ experienced, it took about 4-6 weeks. I was so impressed with the finished product. It's a gorgeous ring!

• Options
    @mforrestall‌ That must've been tough waiting that long knowing the ring was in his possession! ----------------------------------------- @lyndausvi‌ thanks for more information on the process. 6 weeks is not bad at all. Did you get to keep the wax mold? ----------------------------------------------------------- @AddieCake‌ I'll definitely post a picture when I get it. Very exciting! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- @Jells2dot0‌ that's so sweet that your brother enlisted your help and expertise. Even better that the ring turned out beautifully. Fingers crossed he will also be impressed with the final ring. My bf is designing it himself. He's definitely more concerned with it turning out like his vision than he is with my answer to the proposal (hint: definitely yes! He's my best friend). Thank you for your feedback! ---------------------------------sorry for the lines. TK ate my paragraphs and I couldn't get them back in.
  • Options
    no we did not.   It's in St Thomas some where.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We did mine and it turned out better than my vision. The time was longer than normal for ours because of a special event that happened a few weeks after my ring was to be finished. The wax mold of my ring melted away when they cast the gold into it.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    @StephJean83‌ I'm so glad it turned out well! Crazy about the mold though. He ordered it yesterday and has a promised date of 3 weeks from then. He also told me he won't wait practically at all, since he wants to me see it. I hope it turns out as planned
  • Options
    I have a custom made ring, but it's not an engagement ring.  I had it made through our family jeweler, who I haven't seen personally since 2003, and lives on the other side of the world.  I just sent him picture of what I wanted, and had a little email chat about it.  It's absolutely perfect.
  • Options
    Mine took about 3 weeks total. The wax ring was ready about a week after FI provided the stones/pictures, and he had a change made so they had a modified version made. He had it for 5 days or so, he planned to propose on our anniversary and I teased him about how close he was cutting it.

My ring is exactly what we asked for, we combined details from a few different rings for the setting.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @kaitlynmichelle‌ that story sounds a lot like mine. He will JUST be missing our anniversary by 2 weeks. I'm so happy for you that the many designs turned out exactly as you both wanted. Mine is also a combination, so I hope it looks great.
  • Options
    FI had mine custom made based on a few I had said I liked. It took about 4 weeks to make and came out beautiful. FI selected the diamond and the jeweler re-cut it just a bit (shaved off about .1 carat) to make it look even better in the setting FI wanted. Not quite sure what he did but it is really sparkly. 
  • Options
    I had mine custom made and I think it took about 3 weeks and came out perfectly. I basically combined 2 rings that I liked different aspects of. They sent me a picture of the wax mold for approval, before making the ring, which gave a basic idea of how it would look (the shape at least). I could have gone in to see the wax mold but it was about an hour drive from where we lived so I didn't bother.
  • Options

FI and I went to the jeweler's together, where I said what I liked about various settings. A week later, FI brought me back to look at the wax mold. The jeweler said it would take 4-6 weeks.

Guess what? Jewelers lie!!  They didn't even have to make the wax mold. The jeweler has that for sure if people want to check it first, but it's not totally necessary. He says 4-6 weeks to throw off potential brides at the request of the grooms.  FI had my custom ring within 2 weeks of ordering it.  I learned all this after the fact, of course, as FI teased me that the ring was sitting in his bedside table for several weeks leading up to my birthday (when he proposed).

• Options
    @thisismynickname‌ I wish that was happening! The mold was made last week and we were sent a computer generated image. It's gonna take 2 weeks from then, which is in a week and a half. Honestly, I feel like we are already engaged just without the ring. We're looking at venues, made a guest list, my dad has already spoken to me about financing and generously offered to pay for everything, so were already in the planning process. Now I just want to see my ring! It's gonna be a true beauty!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards